FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some tips from the folks with more experience.

Does anyone pull out the firing pin and clean it off when they are cleaning theirs? How often should you do this and what do you use to clean inside its compartment?

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'll pull the extractor and firing pin out every 1500-2500 rounds. Haven't been able to get it dirty enough to cause either to fail yet and every time I've pull the firing pin out, there's hardly any fouling on it (I've only taken it out on my FNP-9 to date, which has over 8500 rounds through it now and no failures due to the gun, my FNX 45 only has 750 rounds through it so far, so I have not taken the slide down yet).

Reactions: Pawn

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both. I just thoroughly cleaned my FNX9 and have it lubed with FrogLube now. For the first time ever, the girl isn't crying about the smell of solvent and oil or worried that I'm going to kill our dog with it lol..

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
If it's a new gun, you'll own it for at least a few years before you have to strip it that far....unless you're just interested in how it works. As djv38 said, when I've done mine, there was hardly anything there. You really shouldn't oil it up in the firing pin area, just wipe it all down and reassemble. And if you get some oil in there, who cares, don't worry about it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, part of it was indeed that I wanted to learn how it works and comes apart. But primarily I wanted to make sure that I had fully degreased and cleaned everything that had every been lubed with anything other than Froglube. It's been fully cleaned and froglubed. There is a slightly noticeable difference in the feel of it so far. I'll post on how it cleans up once I get another 1000 rounds or so through it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts