FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am relatively new to handguns but am trying to put together a decent collection for home defense and sporting. I recently purchased an FNX9. I also have an FNP45 and Sig P220, I like them both equally and both have been flawless. I have been so pleased with the FNP45 that I decided to go with the FNX9 for a 9mm offering. The FNX9 worked great at the range and I love the design especially the weight for a CCW option. The only complaint I have is the magazine release in cold temperatures. You hit the button and the magazine fails to eject from the mag well. You can manually pull it out but you shouldn't have to do that. Being a firearm that is from a high quality manufacturer like FNH I would expect that it should release freely. I will say that at room temperatures it operates perfectly, magazine comes right out upon depression of the mag release button, but at a colder temperature it sticks. Maybe its just my nature but I expect the functions of firearm like the FNX to work the same regardless of the temperature. I will note that with the FNP45 I have not had this problem. I sent the FNX9 back for service so they could address the problem and I just got it back yesterday, guess what, same problem still exists. So, going to send it back again, I'm hopefull that I can get this taken care of or I'm going to trade it out for something else. Aside from that, I love the FNX9 but like I said, it should work the same regardless of colder temperatures. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Administrator
11,689 Posts
I am relatively new to handguns but am trying to put together a decent collection for home defense and sporting. I recently purchased an FNX9. I also have an FNP45 and Sig P220, I like them both equally and both have been flawless. I have been so pleased with the FNP45 that I decided to go with the FNX9 for a 9mm offering. The FNX9 worked great at the range and I love the design especially the weight for a CCW option. The only complaint I have is the magazine release in cold temperatures. You hit the button and the magazine fails to eject from the mag well. You can manually pull it out but you shouldn't have to do that. Being a firearm that is from a high quality manufacturer like FNH I would expect that it should release freely. I will say that at room temperatures it operates perfectly, magazine comes right out upon depression of the mag release button, but at a colder temperature it sticks. Maybe its just my nature but I expect the functions of firearm like the FNX to work the same regardless of the temperature. I will note that with the FNP45 I have not had this problem. I sent the FNX9 back for service so they could address the problem and I just got it back yesterday, guess what, same problem still exists. So, going to send it back again, I'm hopefull that I can get this taken care of or I'm going to trade it out for something else. Aside from that, I love the FNX9 but like I said, it should work the same regardless of colder temperatures. Anyone have any ideas?
Welcome to FNForum.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've never heard of a complaint like this. How cold are you talking about? Are you sure you are depressing the button all the way if your wearing gloves??

·
Registered
43 Posts
what he said, if you don't depress the mag release down all the way it wont fall free, and are you a lefty or a righty. the lefty mag release doesn't let the mag fall free all the time. it probably needs to be lubed up a bit too.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I've had my FNP-9 mags stick on occasion when it was below freezing. Not to bad or often. In a concealed carry situation, it will be warm due to your body heat and should you need a new mag, it should act normally.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm having this same problem with the colder weather. Anyone else having this issue and if so any solution?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok thanks. I actually keep my mags dry on the outside and never had a problem until yesterday. Sounds weird but its almost like the magwell "shrinks" in the cold?? As it warms up in the house with me handling it the problem goes away. Couple hours outside its tight again. I'll try some dry lube though. thanks again

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My FNP-9 exhibits this. 3 of my 8 mags do it anyway.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
If you were a gun smith, you could take some sand paper to the mag well. Just a little work would likely alleviate the issue.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
17 Posts
Might try that. I had thought about it but wasn't sure I wanted to go there. Like I said, warm weather they fall right out.
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Take the magazine release out of the frame and clean everything with alcohol. These parts should not need lube to move freely.

Does the issue exist with all magazines or just one?

If I was going to enlarge a magazine well, I would use an extra magazine tube or block of wood wrapped with masking tape and wet/dry sandpaper. As the block glides easily, remove the sandpaper and add more masking tape. Be sure to use a long block and keep the sandpaper wet.

·
Registered
21 Posts
All,
I'm in the same boat as the others but I only have 1 of 3 mags failing to release. Actually it releases but does not leave the mag well. It doesn't matter on temperature. 55° today at the range, 75° in the basement and about 22° last weekend or against my body as a CCW. One mag will not fall free. I can not see any differences. All are clean and dry. And there is no way that I'm going to sand the mag well. I'll dump the gun first. And I'm in NE Ohio too.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
My bet is the exterior dimensions on that one mag a slightly larger than the other mags.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts