FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question for the more experienced FNX owners, in my case its an FNX-45.........

Can I "safely" carry it with a fully loaded magazine, rack one into the chamber and let the hammer down on that round so when/if I need to fire release the thumb safety and use the DA to fire?

Are there any major downsides to such a method?

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
It has a hammer/firing pin block, so that's a perfectly safe way to carry the FNX. Chamber a round and then use the de-cocker. If you've activated the safety, you will have to release it before firing DA.

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks----I'm anticipated possibly--but not likely--CCW in a cross-draw configuration with it on my left side as I'm right hand dominate, possibly AWIB. While I believe I'm somewhat "safe" from an accidental misfire as I NEVER have my finger on the trigger until its absolutely to do so being more safe is never a bad idea.

·
Registered
869 Posts
In my opinion the described configuration (hammer down) is excessively safe. I carry all my guns including FNX45 with one in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety engaged. It's how John Moses Browning intended and more safe than a glock

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not familiar with Glock but do appreciate your thoughts on the hammer back or letting the DA function fire the round when wanted. I've always chose weapons WITH an external safety including my S&W M&P .45's, first generation. The only exception I have is a Springfield XD Mod.2 in .45 ACP---its has the grip safety, no thumb safety.

If/when the FNX-45 becomes a CCW I will employ the one chambered round, safety on and hammer down.

·
Registered
192 Posts
The FNX is great in that you can either run locked and cocked like a normal SAO handgun, or can carry hammer down for DA like the old steel frame Smitties that a lot of state troopers used for years. My fingers are short enough that the FNX-45 gets carried locked and cocked (the DA pull is just a touch too much), but I can do either with the FNX-40. I hadn't done much DA work since I got out of the military (got out before Sig lowballed everyone to grab the M17/18 contract), so I've been working on it lately just to be good with that manual of arms. If I can find one for a reasonable price, I'd like a steel frame Smitty in 40, but for SAO I do want a Hi Power.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I carried my FNP-45 for several years before going primarily to my FiveSeveN. Always carried it round in the chamber and safety on. Never had a single issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the replies so far guys---just great and nothing less than I'd expect from other FN owners! (y):)

Since posting this question I've practiced with a dummy round racked into the chamber, hammer let down and thumb safety "on". Drawing from a holster, safety switched to "off" and tried the DA pull; my hands are far from huge so that is a big distance to drop the hammer. For me given I perceive that method of carry to be "safer" (and I know its really not) I'm sure that'll be the way I'd CCW in it comes to that.

If at a range or simply out and about with OC I might still go that same way if only to remain consistent and not have to think about what mode I'm in.

Oddly enough the FNX-45 compares very favorably with my S&W M&P .45ACP and Springfield Mod.2 also in .45 ACP size-wise. I'm speaking more how the controls are fairly the same distance from one another, the FNX NOT being that much larger or more difficult to comfortably grip, rack and lower the hammer. Naturally the S&W and Springfield don't have external hammers. :)

Thanks all! (y)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I carry an FNX-9 and it cocked and locked. I have a kydex OWB holster that I carry it in. It is shaped by FNX-9 mold the safety stays locked. I practice drawing and flipping the safety off before I fire it. I did a lot of practice with out ammunition loaded in the magazine first and went to the range a fair number of times as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Tony617---good info and something I also do albeit with an IWB hard holster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts