FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was browsing my LGS and the FNX tactical caught my eye. I played with it a bit and decided I probably need one but didn't buy it then. When I made it back, it was gone so I can't satisfy my concerns. Since then, I have a few questions. My primary use for it will be to replace a Glock 21 in my night stand.
My concerns are:
1) The safety bothers me a little in that under stress, couldn't the lever be moved from safe to decocked and go past "fire"?
2) Obviously The Glock has no safety lever, so would it make sense to leave it on "fire" and just use it DA or cock the hammer?
3) I have no intentions of suppressing but thought about having them order me the non-tactical model since the appear to be the same gun without a few options. Any input?

·
Registered
618 Posts
1) I agree I wish it had no decocker. If there's an easy and reversible way to disable it I'd love to hear and try. I haven't accidentally engaged it but I also havent shot it in a stressful situation.
2) I've been taught not to manually cock hammers because of potential damage to the sear if you reverse direction at all during the wrong part of the hammer motion. Personally I think DA is dangerous unless you train DAO. It is a tough decision though with the risk of accidentally decocking. I have decided to carry it (woods gun, mine is converted to 460Rowland) cocked & locked for a thumb safety and single action trigger like John Moses Browning intended. Hoping regular training taking the pistol off safe each time I raise the gun will develop enough muscle memory and also hopefully I won't be in a situation to justify it's use outside the range regardless.
3) Tac has red dot mount, extended threaded barrel, full FDE color option and supressor-height sights. I like the extended barrel for some more velocity and the threading of course to mount the 460 compensator. I had never tried but really like the tall sights too. Those two features make it less ideal for concealed carry though if that's the purpose of the gun.

·
Registered
9 Posts
1) The safety bothers me a little in that under stress, couldn't the lever be moved from safe to decocked and go past "fire"?
Your number 1. worry does not apply the the FNX.
When you first push the selector down it goes into the fire mode first and pushing it farther it will decock it, when you release pressure it goes back into the fire mode.

2) Obviously The Glock has no safety lever, so would it make sense to leave it on "fire" and just use it DA or cock the hammer?
Your idea in 2 should work just fine.. I run mine safety off with the hammer down. As you stated with the hammer down there really isn't a need to have it on safe. If it comes down to a defensive situation having it in double action on the first shot will minimize a potential AD and after the first shot is fired a quick single action follow up shot is best. After the shooting is done being able to safely decock the hammer is a great feature to have.

·
Registered
15 Posts
doesn't the decock act as a hammer block when used avoiding a round off situation ?

·
Registered
618 Posts
doesn't the decock act as a hammer block when used avoiding a round off situation ?
Absolutely. I could have been more clear apparently that the risk that I perceive for me is decocking off of single action and having to pull in DA. (If there's confusion about how the gun functions we can reread the manual and try it without live ammo) it's often mentioned that in the heat of the moment the weight won't matter. I've never fired a gun in that type of situation but I would expect the accuracy issues of firing DA for most shooters at the range would be magnified with the stress and adrenaline. While I train for bullseye shooting every night, I don't do any DA shooting and unless you decock regularly at the range most people I'm aware of don't practice DA too much either. If I'm firing a gun I want to be on the right target. I also have RA and on a bad day the DA isn't fun either.

MY OPINIONS ON SAFETY OF DA MAT NOT BE THE MAJORITY OPINION, JUST MINE

I'm surprised how much I like the FNX SA trigger as the rest of my pistols are 1911s or target guns. The SA reads 5lbs but feels better. I'd break the gauge on DA

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have one in the chamber and the hammer down myself most of the time but I have carried cocked and locked as well. I bought my FNX-9 back in 2014 and I have carried this pistol quite a bit over the years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have about 6000 rounds through mine, carried in some pretty inhospitable conditions and used under duress. Ive never accidentally had it decock. IMHO its an astronomically unlikely event if you have trained with it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I cut my hind teeth on 1911s over 50 years ago, and ride the safety with my thumb. Doing this with my FNX45 has caused the safety lever to decock during firing several times. During firing a hard pull of the trigger due to the hammer being down causing a DA next shot instead of SA. Took awhile to figure out what was going on. Concluded that with the thumb riding hard on top of the lever that the gun under recoil is enough to cause the thumb to decock! Now I try not to ride the safety hard and have had no further recurrences.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have about 6000 rounds through mine, carried in some pretty inhospitable conditions and used under duress. Ive never accidentally had it decock. IMHO its an astronomically unlikely event if you have trained with it.
That's the big thing. Training time with your preferred carry weapon. If you train enough, having to flip the safety won't be an issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Id stick with the glock. Your going to shoot your fnx and after about 50 rounds the frame will warp like tupperware. Fn makes great rifles and very poor pistols. It shoots well aside from being able to completely compress the grip due to the poor polymer properties. Also the reverse pignose will make your stomach turn as it did mine. Also the magazines were designed with the small tab that catches EVERYTHING

·
Registered
33 Posts
Id stick with the glock. Your going to shoot your fnx and after about 50 rounds the frame will warp like tupperware. Fn makes great rifles and very poor pistols. It shoots well aside from being able to completely compress the grip due to the poor polymer properties. Also the reverse pignose will make your stomach turn as it did mine. Also the magazines were designed with the small tab that catches EVERYTHING
That's a useless post as far as when it comes to answering the OP's question about the safety. Sounds like perhaps you had a defective pistol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have way more than 50 rounds through both of my FNXs (in triple digit heat on an outdoor range) without them warping. Haven't had issues with my mags catching on anything either, but I also don't carry spare mags in my pocket.

I did accidentally decock it a few times early on, but dry fire drills involving my draw fixed that quickly. I know some carry hammer down and safety off, but my short fingers make that a tough way to do it personally.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Some warp and some don't - if it does you'll know it early, and FNX can fix it. Drive on.

If you do a proper high grip and your support hand is high and shooting hand thumb over the support hand, it is fairly impossible to trip your decocker - especially if you have a tight grip.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have way more than 50 rounds through both of my FNXs (in triple digit heat on an outdoor range) without them warping. Haven't had issues with my mags catching on anything either, but I also don't carry spare mags in my pocket.
Yep 200 cartridges of 460 Rowland through mine even and no evidence of warping!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Wow I have fired 150 rounds out my FNX-9 in one range session multiple times over the years with out any issues and I have had any issues with my frame warping.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over a thousand rounds and no warping here.

I have never had a problem with mine on DA. In a rapid fire shooting starting off with a double action first pull my groups are very consistent. The first round is well within the same group perimeter as the following single action shots... My accuracy when rapid firing is the same either way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's a useless post as far as when it comes to answering the OP's question about the safety. Sounds like perhaps you had a defective pistol.
[/
Yea ive just been so dissapointed with this FNX that I feel obliged to recommend people to make a better choice.

I also dont carry my mags in my pocket but when you manufacture a 5mm tab onto the front of a magazine it catches everything from leather to kydex and especially if you run a vest. Sig p226 has a much superior mechanical function as far as the safety decocker goes. The fn decock/ safety feel sloppy and nerf gun. Ive got another thread on the poorly supported chamber with pictures included which was why ive just sold mine off.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Glocks in 40 have an unsupported chamber and have since they introduced the caliber into their repertoire back in the 90s. Aside from the issues in the Gen 2s with the warping rail and poorly matched RSA (that were both addressed in the Gen 3 and were probably related to each other), I think we can all agree that they are reliable.

Sigs have a track record for other issues of their own. I have a G20, two FNXs (45 and 40) and two M&Ps (one FS and one compact each with 9, 40, and 357 barrels). I put Sig in that mid tier category with Springfield as far as practicality and reliability for EDC. And when I went looking for a 10mm, it was Glock or bust. I wouldn't even consider a Sig or an XD.

As far as the mags, I've used a variety of mag holsters, both kydex and leather, without an issue. No reason to run a vest for civilian edc, so I can't speak to that as the only time I would need one is on the ranch and my duty belt still holds what I need there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts