FN Herstal Firearms banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had impulsively bought a FNX-T in FDE due to all the hype it was getting. Got a good deal from highplains gunshop. Which I had a very positive experience with.

When I received it I noticed the slide was very stiff to rack, but also saw others say the same. Took PPU, WWB, and some Federal all in 230 grain to shoot it the first time out. PPU cycled well. WWB stove piped some times, and shot fine others. Federal was the same. Only shot roughly 40-50 rounds that day as I was frustrated with the cycling issues so chose to shoot my HK USP Expert. 45 instead which will shoot anything I feed it.

I decided to make it a practice to rack the slide open and closed while I watched tv at home to hopefully loosen up the spring, and allow me to cycle the same ammo my HK shoots.

I also stored it with the slide racked open.

Next time out shooting I only took wwb. Went through two full mags with the same stove pipe symptoms. Third mag I shoot two rounds, on the third round I feel a sharp sting in my hand, and see the mag fall out the magwell. Look at my $1,000 pistol and see both safety levers missing, mag release button missing, and the mag in pieces on the floor.

I pickup the mag and see it dismantled itself when it dropped but is fine and I put it back together. Look at the new pistol now broken and leave the range in disgust, half pissed, half thankful I was not injured.

I call up FN customer support, go through the whole process of sending it in. Inform them I did not save the box of wwb I was shooting as I've never had a pistol blow up in my hands and do not know the standard protocol. They receive it in the middle of October. I get an automated email saying they got it and will work hard to correct the problem. Hear nothing...

I call them in late november and am told the guy handling my pistol is going to contact me soon about "replacing my pistol, and offering me discounted pricing" I say what do you mean? That pistol is/was new. Im not going to buy another one. He says I will get contacted soon.
'
Holidays come. Too busy to worry about this pistol so I don't call them, but believe I should be contacted. Never do. Finally I call them. Ask why I am always having to call them, and am told I should of been contacted. First the guy on the phone says, "well looks like we're looking into replacing your pistol" "oh wait, no" "its totaled. You'll need a new one"

I once again tell him I was shooting factory ammo, to which he tells me in a very rude and snide tone "thats winchesters problem, and it was obvious over pressure" At this point I tell him to send that $1,000 piece of junk back. Im done with FN and I'll never buy their products again.

I've got a scar 17S, and a FS2000 Standard. The Scar is my favorite rifle I own, the FS is cool, and unique. I had planned on getting a SLP, and possibly a scar 16. But now. No way can I support FN. I heard their customer service went down the drain, but I was amazed on just how true that is.

I've never had to use customer service for any gun I own. Partially I believe, because I do not buy junk. I've never had a gun pop in my hands either so that was a humbling experience.

Once I receive my $1,000 paper weight back I'll post pics. Not sure wether to try and part it out like a car, try to repair it myself (it did not look that bad) or shoot it with my HK.

·
Administrator
11,398 Posts
^^^^ This. Why should FN replace a firearm that the ammunition blew up? WWB is notoriously crappy ammo. It has long been known around here that WWB causes problems in all sorts of firearms, especially the larger caliber ones.

Call Winchester. Their ammo, their problem. It would have been nice to know the lot number of the ammo.

Do not ever throw away the empty box of ammo until all the ammo is expended........

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Without having THE box or lot number I know I really do not have a leg to stand on. As I stated. I've never even had to contact customer support for any firearm, more less having one fall apart in my hands. So therefore I did not know what the standard protocol for failing firearms or bad ammo was. I know now. I also know that FN allows some very rude, and non communicative phone reps to represent them.

My main point of this thread was to confirm the terrible customer service I received. Even if it were just to pass the blame on to Winchester. Don't make me have to continually call your company and wait 3 months for something they knew the answer to and could of said much earlier on.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree that they should have called you much sooner but you could have also done some research online before sending it in to see what overpressure symptoms look like so you never would have had to send it to fn in the first place. If you paid for the ammo with a cc, then trace the transaction back and print a receipt and send it to Winchester. If they are threatened with legal problems then im sure they will reimburse you somewhat.

·
Premium Member
13,736 Posts
i did not save the box of wwb i was shooting as i've never had a pistol blow up in my hands and do not know the standard protocol.
sorry to hear this but that is the first thing you should have done boxed up your ammo and tried to retrieve all 33 of your empty shell cases may i ask what happened to the other 12 round that was left in the magazine

·
Administrator
11,398 Posts
In the years that I have dealt with FN, I have not had a problem with their CS. Granted, it used to be better than it is reported to be now but I have always found them to be courteous and helpful.

Sorry you had such a problem with them.

I guess they should have just boxed the gun up sent it right back to you and told you to call Winchester. Maybe someone at FN was trying to do their best to get you a new firearm and that is why it took so long but someone else higher up the food chain nixed it, but while waiting for an answer, the contact to you got put off.

Could be any number of 1 zillion and 1 things. Pick your poison.

But ultimately, it was Winchesters fault and you should have went to them first.

·
Administrator
11,398 Posts
I have shot WWB in all of my other pistols, including my ccw .45 auto, a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact. I have NEVER had any failures. In my opinion, there is no excuse for the FNXs not being able to digest WWB ammo.
Depends on the lot. Some people have no issues, and some people get Kabooms as evidenced by this thread. That is why there are reported problems with the ammo.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have shot WWB in all of my other pistols, including my ccw .45 auto, a Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact. I have NEVER had any failures. In my opinion, there is no excuse for the FNXs not being able to digest WWB ammo.

WWB is farrr from reliable ammo, you got lucky

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Picture a FDE FNX-T with no safety levers, mag release button, and a broken take down lever. That's it.

As I said in the first post. Pics when it comes back. Which speaking of. It was last week when I told them to send my paper weight back and I still have not received tracking info. Apparently once again I have to call them.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
I agree it sounds like a Winchester issue. However, I must say I like WWB for range ammo, I actually prefer it. I find it much cleaner than AE ammo. What does everyone else use that's so much better? (just trying to source options)

Great now I probably jinxed myself.....Where is the wood?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've "heard" this pistol can fire out of battery, and obviously has an unsupported chamber. I'm not 100% that it was bad ammo, or over pressure seeing as the pistol gave me problems since day one. I'll also say it. I believe if it were my HK it would not have blown off its switches and buttons.

I've always had great experience with Winchester white box too.

I will look into my card statements and see about contacting winchester. Like I said though. Not expecting much from them.

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I've "heard" this pistol can fire out of battery, and obviously has an unsupported chamber. I'm not 100% that it was bad ammo, or over pressure seeing as the pistol gave me problems since day one. I'll also say it. I believe if it were my HK it would not have blown off its switches and buttons.

I've always had great experience with Winchester white box too.

I will look into my card statements and see about contacting winchester. Like I said though. Not expecting much from them.
there was a thread on here about a recall i dont remember what the recall was though im sure someone else can chime in on that...

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sorry to hear this but that is the first thing you should have done boxed up your ammo and tried to retrieve all 33 of your empty shell cases may i ask what happened to the other 12 round that was left in the magazine
Stayed on the ground in the desert. Same spot I go to when I'm not going to the known distance range for my rifles.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'd be in the same boat as Kouki. I dont save the boxes. Matter of fact I dump all my ammo into a can with desiccants. Fit a lot more in that way.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Sorry fellas, I've used the dreaded WWB as well. I've probably fired hundreds of rounds of the WWB through my FNX .45 Tac without a single issue. What's to stop a firearm manufacturer from passing off responsibility for their f*cked up firearm on the ammo every time they have an issue like the one described by the OP? I could not be more satisfied with the three FN products I own but it seems like the customer service received by the OP is unacceptable especially when one spends over a grand for a pistol.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Sorry fellas, I've used the dreaded WWB as well. I've probably fired hundreds of rounds of the WWB through my FNX .45 Tac without a single issue. What's to stop a firearm manufacturer from passing off responsibility for their f*cked up firearm on the ammo every time they have an issue like the one described by the OP? I could not be more satisfied with the three FN products I own but it seems like the customer service received by the OP is unacceptable especially when one spends over a grand for a pistol.
Other than the 5.7 pistol, I am unaware of any civilian FN firearm that mandates, or recommends, a certain Mfg. of ammunition in order not to breach the warranty. You are right, I guess the gun mfg.'s can always blame the ammo mfg.'s and vice versa.

1 - 20 of 134 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.