FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!
Obviously I'm new here. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a FNX .45 tac. I'm trying to justify the price difference over a Springfield XDM 5.25. I figured there was no better place to ask than here. I've got a XDM in 3.8" that's a sweet shooter, the largest of my carry roster at the moment (along with others such as a sig P290, XDS 45, and my problem child- Karh CM40). I would put a mini red dot on the FNX and a light, keep it as my primary go-to house/bug out bag piece. We can't have suppressors in IL.

Thanks for any thoughts. I've only heard great things about the FNX, but as I'm sure you guys know- it depends on where you're getting your opinions. The few issues I've read through my searches seem very normal to any model (break-in, etc). I'm confident that I couldn't go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hi, they are just way different. Might as well compare the Tac to a G21 also. Of course they are cheaper, just like a mustang is cheaper than a corvette. I think I'd like the new corvette.

I never had any break-in issues with my FNX45 T, and after 1000's of rounds, still is reliable. Sounds like you are sensitive to price. You're going to be $1,500 into the tac with RD easy. Probably not the best choice if you are sensitive to price.

You are correct though, you can't go wrong either way. They both go bang and get the job done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Turnanewleaf,

Too late- Hahahahaha I just ordered a new FNX tac in FDE. I'm sensitive in price, only to the extent of if they shot similar, I've already got good experience with the XDM (and I have plenty of 13rd mags).

I'll put a light on it, and wait a bit to put the RMR on it.

I do like the new corvette, but call me price sensitive there too. :) I'll continue driving my Chevy Pick up and make the house payment.

Thanks again for the reply.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the incoming Tactical!

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I love my Tac. The trigger in SA is IMO much better than the XDm's. Wasn't a huge fan of the XDm's I've shot.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Congrats on the tactical. If youre looking for an iwb you cant beat guardian concealment. Im still saving for a rmr 07. Was almost there when a cz97 showed up

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Wizard,
I can't see me carrying the FNX IWB. It's a big gun for that in my opinion (to fit inside the belt along with my sizable ass). I've got some smaller units for that purpose, but will be getting one or two holsters for the new FNX. Thinking about a chest rig, and probably a OWB. Since I'll probably be keeping the light on it most of the time, I'm guessing my holster options will be pretty limited. I haven't done a whole lot of research yet. Thanks again,
Tim

·
Registered
609 Posts
ive got an xdm in 4.25 and the fnx 45T.

differences in my opinion the xdm trigger is better the xdm is smaller the fnx holds more rounds both are laser accurate the fnx is easier to mount a rmr fnx oem sights are better xdm grip feel is better xdm is easier to ccw both come with cases and mags but the xdm comes with a holster and mag loader fnx is harder to self repair if you have to dig into the guts

each has tradeoffs on the other i think making it a wash as they are the top two 45 doublestacks out there. nothing else comes remotely close including the hk

if i had to pick one to get first if i had no other gun it would be the xdm. if i had to pick one for a gp handgun excluding ccw use i would get the fnx45T

·
Registered
398 Posts
Not what you're asking, but I just traded a XDm .45 for a five-seven. And a .357 to boot. I'll end up with a tac eventually, but the XDm is a great gun. My carry guns are pretty set, but the tac is just a good all around gun to have. Good choice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I carry my fnx in a Cleveland holster and haven't had too many issues with it. It's a little big but it hides away easy even with a t shirt. Try an IWB and I bet you'll change your mind.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I swapped a XDM 40 Compact for my FNX-40. Haven't looked back yet. I do still own an XD45 compact and a XD 9 subcompact. If FN were to put out a compact X or S, I may part with them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts