FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month ago I decided I "needed" a modern, polymer frame .45 ACP pistol. I've always had good luck with HKs and Sigs, so the HK45 and the Sig 227 went to the top of the list. I'd also considered the FNP/FNX, if for nothing else than the 15+1 mag capacity. Shortly thereafter, I was in the PX and while cruising the gun counter, I saw an FNX45 standard. All it took was a little fondling and the cashier had my credit card.

Mag capacity aside, a couple of things immediately jumped out at me. First, the checkering on the grip is...aggressive to say the least. I would have no qualms grabbing this pistol if I had dipped my hand in 5W-20 first. The second thing I noticed was the shallowness of the angle on the barrel shroud in comparison to other pistols like the Glock, USP/HK45, and Sig. I also like the fact that the pistol shipped with 3 magazines versus the typical two.

I was a little unsure about the shape/size of the magazine bumper pads, but after a few practice mag changes, I saw the efficacy of the design. I really dig how the pad fits in my palm and aids in shoving the magazine home.

I'm the sole righty in a household of left handers, so I really appreciate the 100% ambidextrousness of the controls on the FNX.

So far, I've only got about 500 rounds through it. I've used everything from 230gr Speer GDs to WWB to powderpuff hand loads. The only rounds that gave me an issue were 185 gr LSWCs. I'm guessing the shape of the feed ramp isn't optimal for that bullet profile and it caused several FTFs.

I've shot a lot...A LOT...of pistols. And the FNX45 is the softest shooting .45 ACP I have ever shot. I think in the main reason is that shallow angle on the barrel shroud. This slows down the unlocking of the barrel from the slide and softens the abruptness of the tilting of the barrel.

The double action is long and heavy, but the single action has a very short trigger reset. Another thing I really like is the front sight blade is thinner than what I'm accustomed to. I think it aids in target acquisition.

All in all, I'm very happy with the new hog leg. It's rapidly becoming one of my favorites.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Glad to hear you love your new pistol. It's definitely a soft and sweet shooter! :shock:

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It really reminds me of an HK USP in a good way. Not in the MK 23-crew-served-hand-gun-sort of way.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
Good to hear you're liking it. I love mine :shock:

·
Registered
184 Posts
I love my HK45, but a FNX45 in FDE is starting to get my attention. May take another look at one after the holidays. Good luck with the new pistol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts