FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just another trigger fail, went to my outdoor pistol range yesterday with the FNX out here in MS. It was bout 93degrees in the shade where we were shooting. Same issue came up that I had with my FNX9 years back before I sold it. DA trigger bottoms out and no bang. Wanted to know before I send it in if anyone has ever gotten an explanation for the problem...I don’t get it, I own a scar 17,16, PS90, FN509 and have never cause me any issues. (Granted I haven’t shot the 509 enough to know if my pin will break, and I’ve gotten a bad P90 mag before)
I just don’t understand what tha issue keeps popping up on the FNX series, I’ve personally Experienced it twice and had a friend have the same issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This happened to mine in dry fire mode with the gun moderately hot on a 90 deg day. I sent it back, and it came back with NO NOTE. I should actually call and ask someone about it. It doesn't seem to do it now - I ran a hair dryer on it to heat the frame and FCS and it was OK. The frames on these are indeed soft. Maybe not a killer for many, but I think with the 'wrong' FCS, they can interfere and OT runs out.

I don't think they want to draw attention so they remain silent. There is also a video of a guy showing the trigger bottoming out and there is no heat involved.

·
Registered
563 Posts
So is the moral of the story to always use single action? :cool:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Yes if you want to use an inoperable pistol, sure.
What is inoperable? I thought your issue was with DA. On a semi auto I still don't see the point of DA unless you accidentally decock when releasing the safety (and familiarity for LE coming from DA revolvers where DA makes more sense)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha ok look I love my FN handguns, just don't think an ISO9001 military contractor should be putting out defensive pistols with this issue on a sporadic basis. Their rifles and any firearm adopted by a military seem to be trouble free, the guns primarily geared for civilian and LE use seem to be the ones that have more lemons. But they have always taken care of me so...
And the "just use it on SA" well, i guess we could stick to using our cars on first gear, look man it works. Those other gears are just for show.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In a military organization, inop means "non-mission capable". In a handgun that boils down at a minimum and hasty way - to a function check. For a DA/SA handgun, like the FNX, which has a safety/Decocker, it means that one function it must pass is to decock the gun and be able to fire in DA. His gun fails. That means it is mission capable - it does not function as designed and manufactured. Period. It goes back to the armorer. This should not happen to a service pistol, especially one that is well cared for.

The FNX has a bunch of desirable features, not the least of which is it is the lightest DA/SA hammer fired gun available - its a shame they seem to keep having issues with the DA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts