FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying many sites/scopes out on my 17S from Red Dots to reg scopes,the Red dots are nice I've tried 4 different ones and I've also put on a couple of my Vortex's like a 4-16x and a 6-24x witch were way nicer for me then the dots so I ended up going back to the 1-6x Millett nice clean site to look through.
So anyway it appears that my right eye is somewhat foggy due to my heart attack and any chance for a red dot are out the window,now I just need to find a nice/nicer 1-6x,the Millett is real nice for the cost and weights in at about 20oz's and it's clear but I might be able to do better but want to get to a big city sporting good store to try some out before buying and I'm leaning towards the Vortex Razor.
Anyway this is my set up and how it will be except for glass and mount down the road.The piece in front of the scope mount is for my brass catcher.

Attachments

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm setting up a appointment for next week to have my eye looked at.
That's good and sorry to hear about your eye. When I hit about 45 I started needing some reading specs myself. I've read good things about the razor ll 1x6 but it is somewhat heavy from what I've read. Well I hope your eye heals up and gets back to normal otherwise you'll have to learn to shoot backwards from the other side like me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's good and sorry to hear about your eye. When I hit about 45 I started needing some reading specs myself. I've read good things about the razor ll 1x6 but it is somewhat heavy from what I've read. Well I hope your eye heals up and gets back to normal otherwise you'll have to learn to shoot backwards from the other side like me.
Ya I have bifocals but my right eye has started to get foggy and I think it's from my heart attack(s),ya I have a pacemaker that keeps my heart rate stable.
the Razor is what I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Might be cataracts, mine went early at 55 Yrs for the first one although progressed slowly. Put off getting the surgery and wished i hadn't. I Have now had the second eye done and that surgery is a miracle. Didn't help the reading but I no longer need glasses for distance and just use +2 readers. Good luck with your eye MD.

Ya I have bifocals but my right eye has started to get foggy and I think it's from my heart attack(s),ya I have a pacemaker that keeps my heart rate stable.
the Razor is what I'm leaning towards.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might be cataracts, mine went early at 55 Yrs for the first one although progressed slowly. Put off getting the surgery and wished i hadn't. I Have now had the second eye done and that surgery is a miracle. Didn't help the reading but I no longer need glasses for distance and just use +2 readers. Good luck with your eye MD.
I'm 54 so I'm in the if it can happen it will happen age also.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes, I'm with Smurky on this- get that checked and get it fixed as soon as you are medically able, as it gets harder to recuperate from surgery the older you get. I spent all of my 21 years in the USMC close to or on the ocean, and grew up at 7000 ft altitude, so lots' of UV damage and early onset of pre-cataract condition in both eyes. I had lens replacement surgery in both eyes when I was 56 and then a touch up with Lasik and I can see better now than when I was 17. Fairly quick recovery time and the results are worth the slight risk of infection that you have any time a surgeon opens you up.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to change things up a bit due to my eye, I ordered a Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32 and a Fast Fire III 3moa and then a cantilever 2" offset mount and a scope ring mount for the Fast Fire....My thinking is I can have the scope set at 3-4-5-6-7 or 8 and then use the fast fire for close shooting under 25 yards or so and its not that much.....
I can't wait to see what he says about my eye.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Get your eyes checked out. :?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's my right eye and this all started after my heart attack(s)but it's more noticeable now then say last year.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok well here she is all dressed and fitting me FINE, I'm not a wealthy person but not poor either so I did what I could after buying such a nice weapon so here it is....So.....I put a Lantac Dragon up front with a Mini Crimson Red Dot Laser under her with a 640 lum light/ Strobe light on the side,then for glass I ended up with a Nikon Monarch 3 2-8x32 on a 55 dollar mount then I have a FastFire III coming to mount on the side of the Nikon,I put rail fillers in where there was exposed rail.
I will be putting in a trigger,charge handle,QD sling mounts and bigger mag release button down the road but until I get my eye fixed or whatever they will do I have my 17 just how I want it and yes it will get a Razor HD down the road also.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts