FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GG&G is coming out w/lens covers for the Eotech: http://www.gggaz.com/index.php?id=58

While the Aimpoint CompM4 I've been using 12 absolutely superb I find it's more than I really need and I'm a bit faster w/the Eotech. So, I've got another pair of 512's on the way for my PS90's and have preordered the GG&G lens covers to try out.
Tomac

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
That is nice. How much are the covers?

Right now, I have a scope coat on mine. I bought it for $20 so I'd have some sort of cover.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is nice. How much are the covers?

Right now, I have a scope coat on mine. I bought it for $20 so I'd have some sort of cover.
$40 a set. My only real concern is whether or not the mounting setup decreases FOV at all. I'll post an eval when mine arrive. If I don't like 'em I'll turn around and sell 'em.
Tomac

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks like a pretty good idea.

:shock:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hmm,

Honestly, I don't see much of a use for it, and I am one of the biggest gear queers around. Oh, except maybe for rain and to protect the glass in airborne ops, etc. I got the same EOTECH I used daily for the past 3 years. Granted, it don't rain much in Iraq, but I never even thought of having covers. Mine has proven, quite literally, to be bombproof and fireproof, at least for ops in and around vehicles.

Maybe the soldiers who did door breaking and ass kicking have a different view. Or, maybe the Fobbits need these. :).

I don't like things on my rifle that can get hung up, break and not open, or suddenly fall down and cover the sight.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tomac said:
$40 a set. My only real concern is whether or not the mounting setup decreases FOV at all. I'll post an eval when mine arrive. If I don't like 'em I'll turn around and sell 'em.
Tomac
Ditto on the posting of an eval! These look very appealing to me. I just bought my eotech from TopGun and by the time these come out and you get to tell us what you think of them, I should be back in the states where it'll matter whether I buy 'em or not.

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
Well, IraqNinja - I like having mine covered to keep it from getting real dusty when it sits in my closet - True, I already have a scope coat, but this is kinda of cool - it stays attaches, like flip covers do for a traditional scope.

Anyway, we'll see how they work when he does his review.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I put my order in on 03 SEP, and called to check up on it a few days ago.
They Are shipping, but there seems to be trememdous interest and they are running a bit behind, (mostly due to sales at the Shot Show, i think).

It's likely to be several weeks into next month before I get delivery. Doestn't matter though, I'm really looking forward to it's arrival.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, guys, but I won't be doing a review. I'm having a custom solar charger mod done to my Eotechs and it won't be compatible w/the GG&G flip covers (shucks and other comments...) :(
Tomac

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tomac said:
...I'm having a custom solar charger mod done to my Eotechs...
Tell us more... :eek:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tomac said:
Currently for AA models only, it charges at twice the Eotech's max draw rate. Check it out here: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=346824
Tomac
Well that's great, seeing as how I bought the 512, which is an AA version! Hmmm...

Edited: Just read over that post and all I can say is WOW! I want one right now! It is soooo on my list of things to buy (err... modify).

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Turnaround time is supposed to be about 2 weeks so I'll post a review when I get them back (not sure what there is to review on a totally passive system, maybe install fully discharged batteries and test how long it takes to charge them sufficiently to use the Eotech???) You can still use non-rechargeable batteries by covering up the solar panel before installing the batteries.
Tomac

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ordered 03 SEP, Shipped 24 OCT, Received 27 OCT

The GG&G Eotech cover is made from a flexible synthetic material, and is supposed to fit the hoods for the 511, 521, 512 and 522 Eotechs. The package comes with a very detailed 2-page set of instructions, 4 Velcro(r) dots and a set of T4 and T5 allen wrenches.

Basically you have to remove the hood, and slip the new cover in sideways then rotate it into position. It's recommended that you apply a drop of dish soap to lubricate the cover as you slide it and the hood back onto the sight body; I used a spritz of silicone. A user on another site stated that it did not fit his 552 series, but I had no problems on mine other than having to really wriggle it on, that thing is Tight!. Using the T4/T5 screws afterwards is almost academic, it's not coming off easily.

When released the rear cover flies up and gives a good !whack! to the top of the hood, which can be quieted by application of a Vercro dot included with the package. On my front cover it's not quite as energetic but still lifts the front cover up to a 90-degree position.

Does it work?
:? - It shades the sight which is it's intended function, and it reduces the chance of reflection off the front glass. Oh, and it beats having to rig up an old sock to keep things covered when the sight's not in use.
CDI factor? COL O'Neal would rock it :cool:

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
I'm tempted - BUt right now, I have a scope coat for it for when it isn't in use. I paid $20 for it. Maybe I'll add it to the list of stuff to later get for my PS90, but don't necessarily need :lol:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Tomac said:
I'm having a custom solar charger mod done to my Eotechs and it won't be compatible w/the GG&G flip covers (shucks and other comments...) :(
Tomac
What exactly makes it incompatible with the GG&G flip covers?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hmm,

Honestly, I don't see much of a use for it, and I am one of the biggest gear queers around. Oh, except maybe for rain and to protect the glass in airborne ops, etc. I got the same EOTECH I used daily for the past 3 years. Granted, it don't rain much in Iraq, but I never even thought of having covers. Mine has proven, quite literally, to be bombproof and fireproof, at least for ops in and around vehicles.

Maybe the soldiers who did door breaking and ass kicking have a different view. Or, maybe the Fobbits need these. :).

I don't like things on my rifle that can get hung up, break and not open, or suddenly fall down and cover the sight.
Snow, mud, and rain are three common factors that others face. Batteries die, mounts break, and bad things happen to electronic sights too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts