FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thanks for posting, I love to look at old military pics. I have a feeling that after all the WWII vets die, there will be a push to remove military bases from Germany and Japan. I will fight this with all my heart. Our bases are a memorial to remember the those who gave their lives and gave their limbs and their minds to save our country. We must never let that be forgotten and theses bases serve as a reminder to the Germans, Japanese, and the world that we kicked their a$$.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Good pictures, but a few glaring errors on the captions there.

Picture #6 refers to the U.S.S. Casin and the U.S.S. Downes as "battleships", whereas they were actually destroyers of the Mahan class. Further, they refer to the ship as the "Casin"...the name was actually "Cassin". The name is significant because the ship was named for a decorated naval officer, Stephen Cassin.

Picture #10 is described as a picture of the U.S.S. Lexington from June of 1942, ostensibly during the Battle of the Coral Sea. In reality, the Battle of the Coral Sea took place from 4-8 May 1942, with the Lexington sinking on May 8th, 1942.

Picture #17 is described as a photo of the U.S.S. Yorktown, taken on Sept. 16, 1942. In actual fact, the Yorktown sank on June 7, 1942, during the Battle of Midway.

Picture #18 describes the pictured gun as a ".75MM gun". I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to positively identify the gun in question...but I could believe it being a 75MM gun, which I suspect was what they meant.

I imagine some will believe that I'm being overly picky. IMO, if you're attempting to honor someone, or commemorate an historic event...the least one could do is get some basic facts correct.

Tim

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good pictures, but a few glaring errors on the captions there.

Picture #6 refers to the U.S.S. Casin and the U.S.S. Downes as "battleships", whereas they were actually destroyers of the Mahan class. Further, they refer to the ship as the "Casin"...the name was actually "Cassin". The name is significant because the ship was named for a decorated naval officer, Stephen Cassin.

Picture #10 is described as a picture of the U.S.S. Lexington from June of 1942, ostensibly during the Battle of the Coral Sea. In reality, the Battle of the Coral Sea took place from 4-8 May 1942, with the Lexington sinking on May 8th, 1942.

Picture #17 is described as a photo of the U.S.S. Yorktown, taken on Sept. 16, 1942. In actual fact, the Yorktown sank on June 7, 1942, during the Battle of Midway.

Picture #18 describes the pictured gun as a ".75MM gun". I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to positively identify the gun in question...but I could believe it being a 75MM gun, which I suspect was what they meant.

I imagine some will believe that I'm being overly picky. IMO, if you're attempting to honor someone, or commemorate an historic event...the least one could do is get some basic facts correct.

Tim
Give them hell professor Tim! :?

"This entry was posted on Thursday, March 18th, 2010 at 2:18 pm and is filed under From The Archive. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed".

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
How about that Coastie in picture number 99 standing up filming on a landing craft during a landing.

"July 1945: Australian troops storm ashore in the first assault wave to take Balikpapan on the southeast coast of oil-rich Borneo. Standing in the LST, Coast Guard Combat Photographer James L. Lonergan is documenting the landing operations."

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Being Filipino I had a father who lived through occupied Philippines during WWII. I am always deeply moved by photos from the war and the personal stories my father told me. "Never forget" he told me, and remember the sacrifices others gave for the freedoms you enjoy.

God Bless this country.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Awesome photo's, thanks for posting that!!!

Reactions: P-Factor

·
Registered
811 Posts
Good find , P-factor. Really ....poignant messages in those pics.
Wish I could have showed this to my , now deceased Uncle.
I found out, he was a "point man" ARMY (designated marksman) in the Pacific operations.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts