FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I just picked u a Sig Sauer MPX-P with the 8" barrel. I plan to immediately file a Form 1 and have the receiver laser engraved, so that I can add a telescoping stock. I know that I have to put the overall length that it will be with the stock on the Form 1. Since I do npt have the stock yet, I called Sig. They told me with the telescoping stock the length with be 24.3". Does anyone disagree with that?

Actually, once Sig offers replacement barrels, I am thinking switching it to the 4.5" barrel, keeping the foreend the same original length so that when I put my suppressor on it, it will look like a integral suppressor without adding any length. Can I do this or not since it would change the overall length that would have originally been approved on the Form 1? If not, what would be the best course of action?

Thanks
SB

·
Premium Member
9,706 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, and I often am, you would want to go with the shorter barrel length on the Form 1.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I don't think OAL is as critical as barrel length and caliber. What akitainu said. just err on the side of caution and put a OAL shorter than you think it is

·
Registered
97 Posts
Your s'posed to notify the ATF of length changes but once a gun is under 16 inches whether its 14" or 4" its considered an SBR. Depends on who you ask but a lot of people will say go shortest length you plan on. That being said If I were in your shoes I would say start with the barrel length you currently have because all the dimensions and lengths you apply for would be "Hypothetical" if you dont have the 4.5" barrel.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Your s'posed to notify the ATF of length changes but once a gun is under 16 inches whether its 14" or 4" its considered an SBR. Depends on who you ask but a lot of people will say go shortest length you plan on. That being said If I were in your shoes I would say start with the barrel length you currently have because all the dimensions and lengths you apply for would be "Hypothetical" if you dont have the 4.5" barrel.
Sorry that is not true, you do not have to notify the ATF of length changes. They recommend it but it is not required. I'm not trying to be a jerk so sorry if it comes across that way I just want people to know their rights.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/na...arreled-rifles-shotguns.html#atf-notification

·
Registered
1,692 Posts

Q: May the short barrel on an SBR or SBS be replaced with a long barrel for hunting or other purposes, with the intent of replacing the short barrel?

Yes, and you will not be required to again register the firearm before replacing the short barrel. ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Sorry that is not true, you do not have to notify the ATF of length changes. They recommend it but it is not required. I'm not trying to be a jerk so sorry if it comes across that way I just want people to know their rights.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/na...arreled-rifles-shotguns.html#atf-notification
that deals with going from a short barrel to a long barrel. I believe he is a going from a short barrel to an even shorter barrel which is a little different then the faq. Does that change the situation at all?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts