FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried to find threads on ejection direction symptoms but I'm not doing so well. My new 17s (black) runs good but ejects forward, 2 oclock, instead of 4 o'clock like my FDE 17s. I like the 4 o'clock better. What say you guys.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
At least it ejects, could be wost.

Reactions: Gunny6

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Are you running the same ammo out of both rifles? How many rounds do you have through the new accurate rifle? I assumed you properly degreased, cleaned and lubed the new 17... Congrats on having 2-17s btw.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
Oh, thanks a lot! :th_bang:
What I'm saying is I wouldn't make to much of it, each rifle is tuned when they are qualified so if one ejection pattern is a little different I wouldn't be to concerned.

Better :mrgreen:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you running the same ammo out of both rifles? How many rounds do you have through the new accurate rifle? I assumed you properly degreased, cleaned and lubed the new 17... Congrats on having 2-17s btw.
Yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing. I have only shot the Fiocci 150 grain through the rifle (black). And I have forgotten which way the fiocci shoots out the FDE even though I would think I would remember if it ejecting forward. Number one, I will try something different through the black one PMC, Federal etc. and see what happens.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One other important thing concerning the ejection is that like my FDE rifle my face seems to be stuck in this position after a few hours at the range :th_hmm3grin2orange:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing. I have only shot the Fiocci 150 grain through the rifle (black). And I have forgotten which way the fiocci shoots out the FDE even though I would think I would remember if it ejecting forward. Number one, I will try something different through the black one PMC, Federal etc. and see what happens.
Looking forward to hearing your results. I wouldnt stress about it too much but i undertsand how you feel. One works this way the other should work this way. Anyway, have fun shooting and stay safe!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, rifle is brand new. I ran a dry bore mop through the barrel, cleaned out the gas block of debris, added small amount of grease to high stress contact points and lightly oiled the rest.

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
With the limited information provided, I would say it's slightly over-gassed.

Better than being under-gassed though...

-SS

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Ok, I looked into this a bit for the opposite reason, I'm a lefty and wanted the casings to eject forward more. It turns out they deflect off of the lock for the collapsible buttstock. If you add more material there they deflect further forward. I have not tried this and will not be held responsible if you try it BUT my guess is shaving a small amount of material off of that piece will result in the casings falling further back. Again, I have never tried that and suggest you think long and hard about it.

p.s. most people find their landing point for brass moves a bit over time, might want to make sure its good and broken in before doing anything.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, I looked into this a bit for the opposite reason, I'm a lefty and wanted the casings to eject forward more. It turns out they deflect off of the lock for the collapsible buttstock. If you add more material there they deflect further forward. I have not tried this and will not be held responsible if you try it BUT my guess is shaving a small amount of material off of that piece will result in the casings falling further back. Again, I have never tried that and suggest you think long and hard about it.

p.s. most people find their landing point for brass moves a bit over time, might want to make sure its good and broken in before doing anything.
Hey, I see what you mean. Maybe I should aim farther to the left.......wait...I mean right...

·
Registered
157 Posts
On a Garand, you can change ejection direction with lube. Generally, the less lube, the more towards 12:00 it will shift.
I would assume you have your two 17s lubed about the same, but thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On a Garand, you can change ejection direction with lube. Generally, the less lube, the more towards 12:00 it will shift.
I would assume you have your two 17s lubed about the same, but thought I'd mention it.
Thanks for your input, rifle is well lubed. I'm going to try different ammo like I mentioned above. And then if I'm still wound too tight I might try different gas port screw. I thinks I've seen that in some other threads.

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
I'm wondering if it'll move back over time as the springs get worn in more. Most of my pistols have changed ejection patterns after the first few hundred rounds (get everything loosened up some).

Overall, I wouldn't be too worried. My AR throws brass to my 4 O'clock where my buddies throws them to the 2 O'clock position and the rifle runs fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm wondering if it'll move back over time as the springs get worn in more. Most of my pistols have changed ejection patterns after the first few hundred rounds (get everything loosened up some).

Overall, I wouldn't be too worried. My AR throws brass to my 4 O'clock where my buddies throws them to the 2 O'clock position and the rifle runs fine.
Thank you, more good ideas.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts