FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soldier killed on 14th deployment to war zone - US news - Life | NBC News

Yesterday, SFC Kristoffer B. Domeij of Santa Ana CA was killed along with two others in Kandahar province AFG. While gut wrenching and sad as this is, it's made worse by the fact that this was SFC Domeij's Fourteenth deployment as a part of 2-75 RGR.

We're a volunteer force. No one puts a gun to our heads to make us enlist or accept a commission. And I laud his commitment to his Soldiers and to the Ranger and NCO Creeds, he embodied both. But somebody somewhere in his chain of command/concern should have put the brakes on him long ago. "Ya know what, Sergeant? You should sit this one out. Here...Take this RI slot instead. Recharge your batteries and get some family time."

Deployments for our Special Operations bubbas tend to be shorter in duration than their regular force counterparts, typically 4-6 months long. But those deployments also tend to be more intense - units running 300-500 missions in that span of time are pretty commonplace.

Clear skies, gentle breezes and soft landings, SFC Domeij. You will be missed.

RLTW

·
Registered
312 Posts
RIP

And now, O God, we pray for Thy hand to lead us in
all the paths our feet may tread, and when the journey
of life is ended may light from our immortal home
illuminate the dark valley of the shadow of death, and
voices of loved ones, gone before, welcome us home to
that house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens,
where no discordant voice shall arise, and all the soul
shall experience shall be perfect bliss, and all it shall
express shall be perfect praise. and love divine ennoble
every heart and hosannas exalted employ every tongue.

Amen.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
As George Orwell stated a long time ago, people sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Thank you for being one of our "Rough Men".

Rest in Peace SFC Domeij.

Rick Spencer, MSgt, USAF (ret)

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Rest in peace Brother, you will not be forgotten!

RLTW

Reactions: LebbenB

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Damn

I have fought when others feared to serve.
I have gone where others failed to go.
I've lost friends in war and strife,
Who valued Duty more than love of life.

I have shared the comradeship of pain.
I have searched the lands for men that we have lost.
I have sons who served this land of liberty,
Who would fight to see that other stricken lands are free.

I have seen the weak forsake humanity.
I have heard the traitors praise our enemy.
I've seen challenged men become even bolder,
I've seen the Duty, Honor, Sacrifice of the Soldier.

Now I understand the meaning of our lives,
The loss of comrades not so very long ago.
So to you who have answered duties siren call,
May God bless you my son, may God bless you all.

Lewis Millett

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
RIP Sergeant Domeij.

On a related note, I read an Army Times article back in 2006 that only some 20% of the army personnel are considered "deployable" and within that 20%, more than 3/4 have been deployed more than once. Seems like the army needed to restructure their forces toward a more "expeditionary" focus and leave the home support service to the civilians? At least back in 2006, maybe they fixed this already, I dunno.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to degrade the loss, but for those who don't know ranger deployments are 3-4 months long...
I made note of that in my OP.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Not to degrade the loss, but for those who don't know ranger deployments are 3-4 months long...
But TBF, it's also a shorter time stateside before they redeploy; rangers deployment cycle is short as sh:t. Having experienced both end of the spectrum, that's something I can completely sympathize with as IMHO deployment process is actually way more painful than once you settle down in country. I much rather be on a 12 months tour (I don't think they do 15 months anymore since OIF ended) than go through two deployment cycles within a year.

Reactions: LebbenB

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think 9 months is long enough. After that you watch motars land 2-300 meters away, shrug, and think "Thats not too close, no worries." Then you putter along as nothing happened.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I am really disappointed that they didn't take the opportunity to honor SGT Bowe Bergdahl during the Superbowl.

I would bet 90% of the country has no clue who he is.

I would support never leaving Afghanistan until he comes home.

Leaving Afghanistan this year would crush his spirit if the news reaches him through the Taliban.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts