FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need some guidance here Guys, I am looking into purchasing a Sight Adjustment/Removal/Install Tool obviously for FNP/FNS/FNX as well as S&W M&P which I will probably be purchasing in a week or two, the C.O.R.E. actually.

I have searched the web and found that there are those that are manufacturer specific as well as those that are universal. Years ago when I looked into purchasing one they were ridiculously expensive now, not so much. Anyone have any experience with one or have a recommendation etc? Also, what oil would anyone recommend when doing a removal/install?

I've also considered the possibility of loaning it out to members that might need it, clearly some ground rules would have to be established before doing so.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have some Glock front and rear sight installation tools if you would like to give them a try. Just give me a shout and you can use them and/or modify them to work.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Glock front sight isn't dovetailed, I'm not sure if the Glock rear sight specific tool will work and I wouldn't want to potentially destroy your tools. Sending you a PM.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have any input? Please!

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really? With all the 'smithing knowledge here no one has any input?

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lester,

I looked at that and whoa is it 'spensive and it requires adapter plates per manufacture at a nominal fee of course, I have an email to MGW (Maryland Gunworks, oddly they're in Augusta GA) regarding some of their sight tools. I can purchase the manufacture specific MGW tools for $124 each at Brownells. Do you have any experience with these if so what oil did you use? I have the FNX-40 and will be purchasing either an FNS-9 or S&W M&P9 C.O.R.E. within a week. Thanks again...

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

Literally just spoke with Mike at MGW (Maryland Gunworks) in Augusta, GA (706) 793-1770 and he confirmed that the MGW Sight Pro WILL move/remove/install virtually any sight provided the proper slide plates are purchased. This tool is not cheap and neither are the slide plates but it will do the job. For my purposes it is a little much since I only need for FNH and S&W and MGW offers Sight Tools for both for a fraction of the cost of the Sight Pro Tool sans Slide Plates. The conversation did end with me having homework, seems MGW has yet to determine measurements required to fit the S&W M&P9 4.25bbl. C.O.R.E. with its tall sights and the M&P specific tool. I offered to go to my LGS (Shoot Straight WPB) with calipers in hand and get the measurements for them.

Now all I need is info regarding a recommended oil.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I have decided on the MGW Sight Pro as proposed by LESTER, damn you man it's expensive at $329.99 but the FN Slide Shoe is only $17.99 at Brownells. I will need to confirm with Mike at MGW tomorrow if it will work on FNP/FNS/FNX 9/40/45/45T pistols. If so I'll buy the thing then only need to purchase Slide Shoe's as needed for other manufacturers. I did confirm with Mike (MGW) that the Sight Pro will work on all long slide pistols.

Now, I did promise to figure a way so others could use it if I bought it. This is my tentative proposal regarding that, no, I don't want anyone to help pay for it however if you need a different slide shoe than FN that would be your responsibility. I'm thinking, you pay shipping to you then back to me with insurance -it ain't a cheap tool- and keep it for let's say ten (10) days before having to return it. Of course I'm the one accepting all the risks here and potential loss with little to no recourse legal or otherwise. Any thoughts Gents?

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
MY LGS GUY LETS ME BORROW HIS SINCE HE KNOWS I'M VERY PICKY ABOUT THE FINISHES ON MY PISTOLS WHEN I NEED IT. THEY ARE SIMPLE TO USE PUSH OfF OLD AND PULL ON YOUR NEW SIGHTS. IF IT WAS MINE SEAMAC I WOULD LET YOU OR ANYONE ELSE BORROW IT.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is extremely kind of you LESTER, thanks Man, and I would/will do the same. I will be purchasing it once MGW confirms it will work on all the FN pistols I mentioned, after speaking with Mike I'm thinking probably so but still need confirmation.

IF IT WAS MINE SEAMAC I WOULD LET YOU OR ANYONE ELSE BORROW IT.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry I'm late to the party, just received a Fisher Sightpusher today, haven't had a chance to get it out of the box. I got it because my HK USP sight tool will not clear the Tactical/adjustable sights. I bought the Fisher because it was inexpensive and simple (looks pretty much like something I was just about to build myself, but this save time and effort).

http://www.sightpusher.com

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry I'm out of refreshments too. I just took a look at that sight pusher, they don't offer blocks for FN as of yet. You're referring to an FNX-45T correct? Let me know how it fits the FNX.

Sorry I'm late to the party, just received a Fisher Sightpusher today, haven't had a chance to get it out of the box. I got it because my HK USP sight tool will not clear the Tactical/adjustable sights. I bought the Fisher because it was inexpensive and simple (looks pretty much like something I was just about to build myself, but this save time and effort).

Universal Hand Gun Sight tool - Home - El Cajon, CA

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I was referring to the USP Tactical.

Just opened the box, it is a beefy little tool. Fit and finish are about what I expected, garage-made. Cut faces on the blocks are rough, but obviously buffed out. Faces of the blocks are fairly well finished.

This thing is probably half the size of my USP sight pusher, but it looks like it will be considerably more useful. One thing I really like about the design is that it pushes the dovetail of the sight and not the blade (front sight). My other one actually pushes the blade.

The way it works, it doesn't look like precisely cut custom blocks would be too critical. It would probably be worth asking them if it fits the FNX.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I may have come up with a more economical FNP/FNS/FNX sight tool solution. Having access to Machinists I'm thinking of taking the closest fitting MGW tool and having the slide shoe and sight block custom made to accept the aforementioned pistols. The standard MGW tools retails for around $125 and I can't see machining being much more and so long as the total tool cost doesn't exceed $329 I'll call it a success. With this arrangement there's less fiddling with adjustments on a universal tool and much cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I realize that this thread is very old, but I can't seem to find an answer to this question anywhere else. And since you all were discussing sight removal tools, I suspect you might know. For FNS pistols, which way does the rear sight remove, if you are looking down the barrel, as if aiming at a target? I personally have a Sight-Tool, a universal sight tool and have used it on 1911s, Glock rear sights, Sig front and rear, and S&W MP series. I haven't bugger'd up anything yet, and I don't want to start in my FNS.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts