FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was really amazed. After initially shooting my FS...using new mil ammo (current contract).....the thing was quite clean! Only carbon was in the bolt lock up and barrel itself. everything else came clean with a white rag.

The M16 is a real dirtball after the same amount of same type of rounds.

I've seen very few gas guns shoot this clean.

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
That is nice to hear. One of the many reasons I haven't bought an AR is because I keep hearing about how dirty they get.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
15,552 Posts
Yea, I've seen some of the piston ARs - I even looked at the Sig556s. It is one issue of many.

But thanks for the link.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you guys haven't heard of Pat Rogers, you need to research his writings. He is a highly respected instructor within the shooting community. Here is a recent post he did on the subject of cleaning AR15s:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=otherguns&Number=54461&Searchpage=1&Main=54461&Words=&topic=1&Search=true#Post54461

Yes, they can get dirty, but it is not as bad as some make them out to be. The main problem I see with the DI system is not the crud, but the shorter lifespan of the working parts. This is due to the increased temperature.

·
Registered
115 Posts
ShipWreck said:
That is nice to hear. One of the many reasons I haven't bought an AR is because I keep hearing about how dirty they get.
As a former paratrooper and veteran I just want to let you know that I resent those words.

I don't deny 'em, I just resent 'em :lol: I have AR's and don't shoot them for fun half as much as my Daewoo. ( I thought that was going to be the 'coming thing' with it's gas system....until the AWB showed up.)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I love my ARs. Sure they get a bit dirty in the upper, but it's not hard to clean. They wipe clean with CLP and a rag.

I shoot Wolf .223 and .22LR through my 16" M4 upper. It's fun and inexpensive to shoot (I bought 223 when it was cheap and stacked it deep).

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yup, the FS is one of the cleanest rifles I've ever shot. Not only that, but it seems to be quieter too. I can hear the action operating inside the receiver during a firing cycle.

ETA: I actually enjoy cleaning my AR's. I'll be headed to an AR-15/M-16 Armorer's course next year so I can learn how to really detail strip and clean the rifle.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As a former paratrooper and veteran I just want to let you know that I resent those words.

I was with the 101st, when we traded our M14's for the M16.......I really resented that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have to qualify people with an M16 A2 or one of it's brothers at least twice a week, and I've been doing it for well over a quarter of a century well after the army....that is a plain filthy shooting gun!!!!!!!! 8)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nice to see that we have more than a few airborne folks , too man darn legs here!

Tex, were you in the 101 when they went from true airborne to air assault? That must have hurt more than loosing the M14. I'm ex 2nd ranger bn. It hurt when we loss the black beret.

BTW, I saw a lot of 101st in Iraq doing good work.

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice to see that we have more than a few airborne folks , too man darn legs here!

Tex, were you in the 101 when they went from true airborne to air assault? That must have hurt more than loosing the M14. I'm ex 2nd ranger bn. It hurt when we loss the black beret.

BTW, I saw a lot of 101st in Iraq doing good work

Had the M14 in basic , then got the 16 handed to me along with a SEA tour guide! :!: It was air assault, I'm old but not ancient, I do have calcium on the knee though :? On a rainy day , if I hear 'Iron Butterfly' , I get a tear in my eye.....haven't figured out if it's from flashbacks of the music or the knee acting up...or both, airborne numba 1 !!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts