FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone brought a FS2000 to one of the available carbine classes that are being offered by various instructors? Any feed back on the FS200 versus the M4 type platform?
Thanks for any info! :?

·
Registered
350 Posts
ive used my fs2000 in classes, etc, i mean, what do you want to know?

it functioned fine, and if you own your fs2000 for a few months you get accustomed to the magazine being in the back, and not drop free,

the only thing i found myself doing was making sure my fs2000 didnt hit the ground hard for fears of it breaking

the gun doesnt make the person though, skill is before gear

·
Registered
156 Posts
About a year ago, I used the FS2000 in a tactical carbine class. Without having the last round bolt hold open, you can have the loudest "click" in the universe, but basically the rifle handled well for the class.

The one recurring problem I experienced in the class was not the rifle's fault. I had a mag issue where the mags caused a double feed a few times. The mags were brand new HK mags and the springs had not properly broken in yet. The double feed issue disappeared once the mags got used a few times. However, during the class it necessitated a few extra transitions to my pistol.

I agree that it is the skill not gear, but if you are going to take a class, see what the schools or instructors require before signing up for the course. Some places require a set of gear (i.e. pads, hat, vest or harness to carry the mags, hydration pack, etc.). -I can't remember the name of the place, but I read about one school that mandated an AR-15 based rifle for its tactical carbine course. It would not surprise me if that requirement existed in more than one place...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ran my FS2000 through a carbine class, It did fine and I had a whopping 2 malfunctions out of 1200 rounds--one of which I caused. This is better than most of the ARs in the class did.

quote="BreakerDave"]About a year ago, I used the FS2000 in a tactical carbine class. Without having the last round bolt hold open, you can have the loudest "click" in the universe, but basically the rifle handled well for the class.[/quote]

I had the same thing happen. I tac loaded as much as I could as the class allowed it.

The one recurring problem I experienced in the class was not the rifle's fault. I had a mag issue where the mags caused a double feed a few times. The mags were brand new HK mags and the springs had not properly broken in yet. The double feed issue disappeared once the mags got used a few times. However, during the class it necessitated a few extra transitions to my pistol.
I've found with the FS2000 that sometimes if you put a magazine in when the bolt is locked back the vibration will sometimes jar the bolt into releasing. This is especially the case if you are in an awkward shooting position and bang the gun on something while moving. However it will not get a good release and the bolt will only close part of the way. But when you try to retract the bolt you will give yourself a doublefeed. The solution of this is to try not to put a loaded mag in when the bolt is back.

In other words you are firing the gun and it goes click when you pull the trigger, indicating that it is out of ammo, simply remove the old mag and put a new mag in and THEN work the bolt rather than locking the bolt back before you you put the new mag in.

But if you are at a shooting range or a class you may be required to lock the bolt back during ceasefires. Now when you put a magazine in sometimes the charging handle will slide out of its groove and let the bolt slide forward. But it will not go all the way forward and when you pull it back to feed a round you may get a doublefeed.

The correct thing to do if the bolt does not go all the way forward is to drop the mag and work the charging handle so that the round that has not chambered will fall out of the magwell. Then let the bolt go forward before putting a mag in and THEN use the charging handle to chamber a round.

The thing to be aware of is most instuctors have never fired an FS2000 and are not able to help you the way they are with an AR-15. So you have to make sure that you know your way around the FS2000.

·
Registered
37 Posts
bullpuppy said:
In other words you are firing the gun and it goes click when you pull the trigger, indicating that it is out of ammo, simply remove the old mag and put a new mag in and THEN work the bolt rather than locking the bolt back before you you put the new mag in.

But if you are at a shooting range or a class you may be required to lock the bolt back during ceasefires. Now when you put a magazine in sometimes the charging handle will slide out of its groove and let the bolt slide forward. But it will not go all the way forward and when you pull it back to feed a round you may get a doublefeed.

The correct thing to do if the bolt does not go all the way forward is to drop the mag and work the charging handle so that the round that has not chambered will fall out of the magwell. Then let the bolt go forward before putting a mag in and THEN use the charging handle to chamber a round.
I have found mine to be prone to the exact opposite. If you put a full (as in 30 round) mag in there with the bolt forward, you'll generally not have enough force to seat the mag all the way. The rifle will strip two or three, and then either fail to feed, or stovepipe the round.

Keeping the bolt back on mag changes prevents that, as would keeping the mags at 28. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
57 Posts
homeyclaus said:
I have found mine to be prone to the exact opposite. If you put a full (as in 30 round) mag in there with the bolt forward, you'll generally not have enough force to seat the mag all the way. The rifle will strip two or three, and then either fail to feed, or stovepipe the round.
Many instructors teach loading M-16 mags with only 28 rounds to allow seating with the bolt forward in the case of tactical reloads.

Keeping the bolt back on mag changes prevents that, as would keeping the mags at 28. YMMV, of course.
If you keep the bolt back when doing mag changes, you run the risk of the bolt slipping loose and going partially forward. If you cycle it back at this point you will have a double feed.

Also, keep in mind that there is not a last shot holdopen, so you know that the mag is out when the gun goes click. At this point it makes no sense to manually reach up and lock the bolt back, because you will then have to change the magazine and then reach up again to the charging handle. So you are reaching up twice to manipulate the chargng handle. It is quicker and half the manipulations to simply reach up once you have changed magazines to chamber a round, rather than reaching up before to lock the charging handle back and then reaching back again to release it after you have changed magazines.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ran my F2K in our local Practical Rifle Match last weekend. No problems, accurate as all get out, and very quick on target.
I am very impressed with this rifle. The issue of no bolt hold open is not a big deal since I have always favored the AK anyway.
In summary, this is the rifle I will be using from now in in our matches.
Dave

·
Registered
363 Posts
SURFER22 said:
Has anyone brought a FS2000 to one of the available carbine classes that are being offered by various instructors? Any feed back on the FS200 versus the M4 type platform?
Thanks for any info! :?

:grin:

I spoke with some swat members on a swat team in a large town in Texas.

They, very much, liked it for going around corners without having to expose themselves more than necesssary. They used EOTECHS on them.
There only complaint was that after many round of rapid fire, the cases were so hot they melted the flip cover where the cases are expelled.

I've also, heard of cases of guns getting so hot after thousand of rounds of swat training that other pieces were starting to warp a little.

:grin:

Tom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts