FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, it was wicked cold today, but I managed to get to the range and squeeze off 100 rounds through the FS2000. Zero failures. Initially, I was printing 2 " left and about 6" low on the 50 yard range, so it took about 30 or 40 rounds to really zero in the sights. I have the Eotech 512/3x magnifier combo - worked out very well - however they'll never replace a good set of cross-hairs for precision shooting. Using 62 grain Privi FMJ factory reloads, I was printing 1.5" to 2" benched, 10 shot groups. I could probably do a bit better with cross-hairs and a completely thawed set of fingers. I don't think that the FS2000 will win any Camp Perry competitions, but it's obviously not designed for MOA accuracy anyway. That said, I was hoping for 2" groups at 100 yards rather than 50, but it would take better sights (and a better shooter) to realize that goal. Accuracy aside, I really love this weapon system. It balances better than any rifle I've ever held and the recoil characteristics drive the weapon straight back into the shoulder with very little muzzle movement. I'll try to post some pictures in due course.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice write up.. I have no photos, but my first few rounds were interesting in this rifle as well.

Using Wolf ammo, not known for it's quality, but dang cheap stuff that I have had over 1000 rounds off, so I wanted to get rid of some of it..

Figured why not use it to break in this rifle, and make sure it's realible as everyone says..

Put 200 rounds through.

First 20 were all over the place. 10" group at 25 yrds.. (Indoor range.)
Second group of 20 rounds was better.

By the last 5 boxes or so (100 rounds later) I can keep a group with iron sights in a 2 to 3 inch circle.. and for kicks, brought it in about 1/2 way, figure 15 yards.. All 20 rounds in one hole, about 1 inch in diameter with NO flyers. (Impressive, as generally with this ammo, I get a flyer or two from my M4.)

Best part? No failures to fire.. Did have a problem with the factory FNH magazine.. the follower twisted, and mis-fed a round.. but it has not done it since, and it was on box #3.. so inside the first 60 rounds in that mag, and this gun.

I'm putting a real scope on this rifle soon, and will try it out for accuracy to see if I can get 1" or better at say 100yrds.. If so, that will be fine with me. It's no sniper rifle. ;)

But 2moa accuracy in this package is nothing to sneeze at in my view, and it should perform to that level based on what I've seen so far.

The trigger on this rifle is something I'm getting used to. It's not a sharp tool, but more like a battle axe v/s a rapier.

·
Registered
150 Posts
don't worry about using wolf ammo, on my buddies Ar-15 we were using 5.56 written in Spanish :shock:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I purchased them quite a few years ago, but I believe that they are D&H 20 round mags and they function perfectly. They have the Magpul followers and L-Plates installed. The L-Plates don't look like much, but they do provide additional grip surface and aid in the extraction of the mags. I like the 20 rounders because it's almost impossible to bench with 30 rounders. BTW, I use Eezox on the interior and exterior of my mags. This is a dry lubricant that works very well in this application (and, frankly, most others). A Little Eezox on the top 3rd of the magazine exterior seems to make mag extraction in the FS2000 a bit easier. I'm also going to try a little ArmorAll on the magazine gaskets inside the FS2K mag well. Maybe this will make them a bit more slick.

·
Registered
150 Posts
+1 on the mags yea they do require a bit of effort to get out of the magwell but as long as i'm not being shot at while doing it there isn't much trouble,

kudos on the matching magpul/fs2000 colors :?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts