FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the fs2000 is a controversial weapon, with a lot of folks classifying is as an expensive range toy. theres some question as to the integrity of the polymer, unreliable in shooting some 556 milsurp, and some newer reports of fragile charging handles.

but what i want to hear real experience other than range time and flaws on the range. i know adosh is selling his after the tooth on his charging handle broke. I know belgian special forces carry this weapon. i remember seeing some pix of a member using the fs2000 in a match.

do you have any narratives or personal experience with this weapon in actual matches and/or in actual conflict situations? how has it held up? etc.

no conjecture or speculation, is there concrete data that show this weapon reliable in SHTF/tactical circumstances.

thanks in advance.

:grin:

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have never used mine in training or in life or death situations, but I have more than 5000 rounds through it without a failure attributable to the rifle. There is a member with more than 15,000 rounds through his.

I've run it for long periods where it was heated quite a bit and didn't experience any problems. I've shot several different types of milsurp without a hiccup, including Guat, South African, and Radway. I dropped it in a mud puddle during a spring storm last year and only gave it a shake out. It shot without fail. I cleaned after that day and now have 2000 rounds through it since without another cleaning other than application of lube. I'd say it is pretty reliable.

I wouldn't call it a "controversial" weapon. I think most of the controversy comes from people who've never handled one or shot it. I don't think people give the rifle a fair shake simply due to its design. Yes, it is largely made of plastic and parts have broken. But none of the broken parts on the FS2000 I have seen have rendered the rifle inoperable. Sure, the charging handle breaks and it's an inconvenience, but the rifle still shoots. The corner of the receiver can break, but it doesn't cause operating failures.

It is a radical design, it is expensive and it isn't for everyone.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I want someone to drop their fs2000 ten feet
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking about real world experience...

i know a guy, who knows a guy... named Sam Fisher

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
15 Posts
I wonder if there are any posted test results from any military services that employ them? Hows the Belgian Army making out with them?
Mine sure does not seem as tough as my Ar-15s yet I wouldn't want to test drop any of my guns 10 feet except maybe my desert eagle ( that would hurt the floor)

.......anyone??????????

·
Registered
980 Posts
here is all the data I can offer
I'm afraid it just deals with just one rifle undergoing non-rigorous, informal, and largely unquantitative testing.

I've put approx 500 rounds of cheap remanufactured ammo through my fs2000, using the included mag.

I've never had a misfeed, jam, or failure to fire.

I've only cleaned the bolt twice. And it probably would look clean now even if I hadn't cleaned it.

I've taken it out in hard rain and 10 degree Fahrenheit weather and it worked fine.

The back-up sights fit me very well and I can get 20 rounds in a regular piece of paper @ 100 yards with very little effort.

It handles faster and easier than any non-bulpup I've shot. I can shoot it left handed. (being left eye dominant that's good)

The lug on front of the lower broke off when I yanked the upper out without the fore grip in place (the fore grip has guides for the upper)

Like I've said before: I would outfit and swat team with the weapon but not a combat infantry team. The polymer is very strong but it's not the ideal material for certain parts.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The F2000 rifle is a relatively new weapon system and yet unproven in actual widespread military service. Reports from limited trial and service usage are scarce. Only recently has the F2000 rifle slowly began to be seriously considered by some countries:

East Timor - In the 2006 Operation Astute, peacemaker-forces led by the Australian Defence Forces confiscated several of the weapons from the Timorese police forces. It is not known how the rifles came into the hands of the police forces.
Belgium - The F2000 rifle has been used by the Belgian Army Special Forces Group since 2004 and is a potential successor to the FN FNC currently used by the Belgian Armed Forces as a standard assault rifle.
Chile - The Chilean Army Special Forces ("Fuerzas Especiales") use the F2000 rifle with the FN P90.
Norway - In 2006, the Norwegian Armed Forces started assessing several assault rifles for their new standard combat rifle, among them the F2000 although Norway eventually chose the HK416 rifle.
Pakistan - Pakistan Airforce Special Service Wing (SSW) use the F2000 among other weapons.
Peru - Peruvian special forces supposedly are actively using the F2000 rifle.
Poland - Used by GROM in limited numbers.
Saudi Arabia - Saudi Arabia is rumored to have signed a contract with FN Herstal in 2005 for 50,000 F2000 rifles to complement their P90s.
Slovenia - In June 2006, the Ministry of Defence of the Republic of Slovenia signed a contract with FN Herstal to purchase 6,500 F2000 rifles as a new standard combat rifle for the Slovenian Armed Forces. This is arguably the first confirmed large-scale adoption for this rifle from a European and NATO member country. The basic model F2000 Tactical model has been somewhat overhauled and renamed to F2000 S, the most apparent feature being a more raised top picanntiny rail also functioning as a carrying handle.
The rifle has been introduced to the public on July 25th 2007. The rifle has been accepted warmly by the soldiers due to its ergonomics, accuracy, modularity; there are however some transitory handling problems with soldiers not being used to a different type of rifle than the former M70, which the F2000 replaced. With diligent practice and careful use, most problems should be resolved. Rearmament will be completed by the end of 2007. At the end, Slovenian army will have about 14,000 F2000 S rifles.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ive never had a jam with it because of the gun.. Many many thousands of rounds of Wolf (I know blasphemy) and only clean it when I dont have anything else to do. Ive packed the inside with snow ive droped the rifle on accident a few times running a course on gravel, I run 200-300 rounds rapidly in it as fast as I can push a mag into it and its never failed.

As much money as ive spend on my AR-15's I cant say the same about them. Only reason I would never take it as a SHTF rifle is because I dont have any spare parts.

Ive been more then impressed with this rifle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
[quoteI know it will fire underwater :D should the Atlantians ever attack.[/quote]

Oh, I soo want to hear the story behind that one. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
Bushido71xs said:
[quoteI know it will fire underwater :D should the Atlantians ever attack.
Oh, I soo want to hear the story behind that one. :D
Oh, I got in a little bit of an argument with someone, He said it would explode if fired underwater I said it wouldn't So I went out and fired it underwater. It worked,,, That was about ten thousand rounds ago and it is still going strong. 8)

·
Registered
63 Posts
fatcat said:
Damn.. Did it cycle?
The first time I tried it I got ten rounds through it before it riped a casing in half and jamed, The second attempt I was using reloads and it expanded the casing in the chamber and I had to use the old rod down the barrel trick to get it out. That is how I know the toilet lid is safe, at no point did any gas escape from the inspection port even with a catostrophic failure and the emense backpressure created fireing it underwater. The bolt remains locked in the closed position untill the pressure in the chamber returns to a safe level.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Deezam. The closest my FS2000 will come to water is when it's in the safe and it's raining outside :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've abused my FS with about every type of ammo to include a 3-gun match with Wolf. The fist time I took it out and ran some Radway through it I was in Fairbanks, it was 20-25 below zero. Lasted about 20 mins. because the stock was too cold on my cheek.

The only failures I’ve had were from the Brits not fully seating magazines.
Twin FS2000

·
Registered
57 Posts
I ran it through a Pat Rogers 3 day Carbine Class with 2 malfunctions in the entire class. This was less than most of the ARs in the class.

A few things to be aware of with the FS2000.

1. As it comes from the factory the FS2000 may have trouble reliably detonating all milsurp ammo. This is because they put a lighter firing pin with a captive spring to guard against slamfires but it was overkill. Either the captive spring or the lighter firing pin alone would have been enough. With both of these, my FS2000 would not reliably detonate milsurp like XM193 and M855 100%. Maybe one round out of 30 or so would not detonate.

So I removed the captive spring from around the firing pin and have since ran over 2000 rounds of various milsurp through the FS2000 without any failures to detonate other than plain dud rounds.

2. Magazines with outside texturing like the Magpuls or Orlites will not fit into the mag well. Standard 20 round AR mags ae also problematical. But any standard.

3. If you put a magazine in when the bolt is locked back the vibration will sometimes jar the bolt into releasing. However it will not get a good release and will only close part of the way. But when you try to retract the bolt you will give yourself a doublefeed. The solution of this is to try not to put a loaded mag in when the bolt is back.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts