FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the lines of the f2000 and I am very disapointed with FN for not being customer friendly to the civilian population. I have an fs2000 and I am pleased. I like my AUG a little better but I would not part with the FN. I am using an eotech 512 and want to update to the 557 whenever eotech decides to release it to the public and not just advertising it but I probably will not be satysfied. I have decided to mod an impact resistant scope cover by injection moulding in the pattern of the factory one. It will be an easy mod just havn't decided which scope to use. I have not heard anything good about the original so I think this is the best choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
zano said:
I love the lines of the f2000 and I am very disapointed with FN for not being customer friendly to the civilian population.
What is it you want FN to offer that they currently don't?

FN is probably one of the most civilian-friendly big firearms manufacturers out there. The fact they released the FS2000 and PS90 for civilian consumption is nothing short of awesome. Plus, you need to consider the Five-seveN, the civilian SCAR-L and -H, and the fact at one point they even considered developing belt fed M249 and M240 civilian semi-only models (until deciding it would be too difficult to do).

You say they are unfriendly to civilians, I say they are among the very best to civilians.

·
Registered
156 Posts
zano said:
I love the lines of the f2000 and I am very disapointed with FN for not being customer friendly to the civilian population. I have an fs2000 and I am pleased.
Before hearing your complaint, FN released a FS2000 with the standard military optic. Unfortunately, the optic is nothing special.

That said, I do not see how you equate FN's delay in releasing a FS2000 with the standard configuration optic with not being customer friendly. From my point of view, FN has been very customer friendly to the civilian population. The company actually went through the difficulty of re-engineering the P90 and F2000 so they could be imported into the US for the civilian market as the PS90 and FS2000. You probably know this is not just a matter of adding length to a barrel and removing full auto parts. They actually had to make it so that critical P90 and F2000 parts could not be used in the PS90 and FS2000 to make them go full auto.

Also FN has been very responsive to what American customers say they want. When the PS90 came out, people complained about the optic. First, FN changed the optic and then FN offered a model with a rail so we could mount the optic of our preference. With the FS2000, we were initially given the option of mounting the optic of our choice which is huge because optics are generally task specific.

Additionally, if you look at the past five years, FN has been actively innovating firearms. It has been a while since I could recall one company having so many different, new designs being developed and marketed for the civilian market. I do not want one, but I have to admit that it is encouraging they are even considering a semi-auto version of the SCAR for the American civilians. Seriously, if you think about it, Colt, S&W, Beretta, Glock, Springfield, and Sig make good firearms, but they are not really pushing the envelope.

I am not saying that FN is the best. I am not brand loyal. If another company comes out with something better that I need or want, I will buy it. However, if you look at FN's operation over the past few years you can see that it is very interested in the American civilian market. When there was a small recall with some early FS2000 rifles, FN stepped up and gave owners free C-More optics for their trouble. Recently, FN ran a C-More optic promotion for those buying the FS2000 and (I believe) the Triple Rail version of the PS90. Now they are giving away (relatively) expensive ammo to push the Five-seveN pistol. While it is a promotion, it is customer friendly.

Of course, everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but when you consider the conduct of the competition, FN has been very customer friendly. The one area I think they could improve upon is the availability of spare parts.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The FS2000 Standard (with factory 1.6x optic) just came out a month ago. Not many people have even used it or seen it but are just regurgitating what they heard about someone's experience with the F2000 optic. Fact is, it is supposed to be a 1.6x scope with an etched reticle so it is not subject to washout because it does not rely on any fiber optic collector. There are no batteries to fail and nothing to wear out.

I would LOVE to see someone make an aftermarket optic shroud because that is the one thing that needs to be installed on a FS2000 to even out the lines. The original F2000 looked appealing because of the optic shroud. The F2000 Tactical / FS2000 Tactical is missing that shroud and looks incomplete.

·
Registered
156 Posts
metroplex said:
I would LOVE to see someone make an aftermarket optic shroud because that is the one thing that needs to be installed on a FS2000 to even out the lines. The original F2000 looked appealing because of the optic shroud. The F2000 Tactical / FS2000 Tactical is missing that shroud and looks incomplete.
I have actually seen a F2000 rifle with the optic at the SAR show this past summer. I agree that in concept it is great to have something that does not need batteries, but in my opinion the optic while serviceable was nothing special.

I can understand that since people first saw a picture of the F2000 with its optic, many view the first version of the FS2000 (with its exposed rail) as incomplete. However, if we got the version with the standard optic first, people would be complaining about a non-standard rail and the inability to mount the optic of their choice. -Personally, I feel the exposed Picatinny rail gives people (and organizations) greater flexibility and I would not be surprised to see that model replace the F2000 with optic.

As far as aftermarket optic shrouds go, that would be interesting as I have seen people put over a dozen different optics on the rifles. That means different dimensions and I do not know what kind of business would want to tackle that. Imagine a situation where someone brings a shroud to the market but it will only work with EOTech's 553 because the other EOTech's have slightly different dimensions and mounting requirements. And what would a shroud manufacturer do to accommodate the different models of ACOG's and their need for a natural light source? -I suppose it could be neat if a company came up with something, but it definitely will not be a one size fits all solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts