• FS2000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HK MR 223

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
It depends on you. Do you like an AR-15 style platform? The FS2000 is very different from the AR-15 configuration.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have absolutely no experience with either, this will be my first 5.56. All I have shot up to this point are my 10/22, HK45, Beretta .380, Remington 870, I have held the FS2000 for only a few moments at the local shop and it felt very good and tight to my body.

I have never held an AR15 and have no biases regarding any platform as long as they preform their intended role.

I'm pretty sure I'll like both equally, it is just a waiting issue for me unless someone tries to ban assault rifles again.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Dude, If I read that web site correctly the HK MR223 is $4200.00 bucks. If you want my abvice and you have that kind of money then buy 2 FS2000.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Intended role is range, but must be just as reliable as for duty. I plan on LEO service after school.

MR223 price you are quoting is from the European Market which already has a 19% luxury tax added into the total cost plus that fact the AR15 market is non existent there. Any MR223 that hits the states will be built here at the Wilcox industries facilities and will have to be able to compete with the US AR15 market. That being said the current cost of a NIB HK416 unit is around $1500. To some it up, the European price will not be the same as here, and if it is so then forget it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dtheman said:
Intended role is range, but must be just as reliable as for duty. I plan on LEO service after school.
You can plan on becoming a LEO after school, but the whole thing can really limit your field of view. Plus, you have no idea if you will end up in an agency. There are many things that may occur along the way that may take you in a different direction. -Back in the day (before the N. Hollywood bank shootout) I had a friend who figured that he would be joining the LAPD so he got a Beretta 92 (their duty pistol). He did not become a LAPD officer and later ended up selling the Beretta but stayed with shooting. The best lesson he learned from the experience is that agencies can use a particular make and model of firearm for reasons other than it is "the best."

If you can, you should try to get some good quality trigger time with both platforms before buying either one. Both platforms will handle the range stuff well. Although both are capable of being used for LE level work and doing a good job at it, the AR style platform is likely to continue its dominance of LE armories until the US military and Federal agencies field something else in substantial numbers.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you went with the HK and your agency used an AR style platform, you may be precluded from bringing your own rifle to work. Some agencies will not want people to bring their own Crook-Killer GT to work with a hair-trigger. Seriously, agencies are all over the map on what firearms and calibers are approved for use. Their configurations can be limited by internal policies and the policies can change for a variety of reasons both good and bad.

Get something that you will enjoy shooting...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Breaker Dave, I am aware of all that information. It still doesn't detract from my possible range gun being duty capable.

My other AR choice if HK is too high would be LWRC.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I said H&K. I think a quality optic is more important than ambidexterity. And if the H&k is @ 1500usd you can have an eotech too, before you're up to the price of the FS.
Also an AR with a vertical foregrip handles better than the FS with the stock grip. IMO

·
Registered
954 Posts
Though I like them both, for LE work I'd go with the AR platform because of familiarity with the other officers, and modularity. The AR platform can be reconfigured into just about anything.

·
Registered
156 Posts
dtheman said:
Breaker Dave, I am aware of all that information. It still doesn't detract from my possible range gun being duty capable.
I am not saying anything about your range gun not being "duty capable." Both are capable platforms for LE type work. Both were derived from military firearms and would do well under more challenging situations than occur during typical range or LE use.

At the risk of repeating myself, what I am saying is:

#1 Seek additional training before buying more guns. You have mentioned that you have never held an AR-15. That should be your starting point if you are considering the purchase of a rifle based on that configuration. Training will give you hands on experience with the platform. The more training you get, the more capable you can become as a shooter. You also will learn about your preferences as a shooter as well as the pluses and minuses of different platforms.

#2 Get trigger time with both platforms preferably after you have more training. You can read tomes of what people like and don't like and it will not be a satisfactory substitute for your personal hands on experience. -It is cheaper to learn you do not like something with someone else's firearm.

#3 You should not buy a particular rifle because you intend to become a LEO. Although it would be convenient for training purposes to have a similar style rifle to what an agency uses, you are putting the cart before the horse. There are many potential reasons that you may not end up becoming a LEO or by the time you become one they have a different platform.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
BreakerDave makes some great points. I've had tons of Marines that were getting out of the service that thought that they had a sure thing cop job waiting for them. Their prespective agency wounld send us the physical exam requirement and rut-row scooby doo, some requirements can shoot down your dreams.

I think BreakerDave is 100% correct. Get yourself to a range and hone your shooting skills. Shoot shotgun, rifle, and pistol. If you just have to buy a weapon then buy what you like to shoot. The last I checked the HK416 was $1500 to $1800 for the upper only.

Something else to remember, most LEO's carry pistols daily and do not go around with long arms slung on their shoulders. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dear god I'm not in high school, I've looked into my career path before. Frankly the physical exam requirements are pretty simple, as in easy.

Thanks what I was looking for Breaker Dave, The fact that both are derived from military weapons shows their ability to handle the elements. I only wish that I could get some trigger time on both platforms, the FS2000 is a possibility for trigger time but I'm not 100% on that. I do not know anyone with an AR-15 that I can use.

I don't plan on buying any firearm because of possible LEO work, my enjoyment of shooting is the reason for buying the rifle and LEO work is the afterthought that makes me require it to be duty capable.

Thanks Promoted pawn, I was looking at both the eotech and ACOG, leaning more towards an ACOG.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Would anyone even want an MR 223 is the question. With the movement of the takedown pin (rear 6mm forward I believe) you can't even mount the upper onto a standard AR lower. The 416 however fits just fine but are selling for a s ton on sites like gunbroker. Makes me wonder where people are getting them since they changed the law on importing "parts kits". A few people have stated that Wilcox Industries will be making the 416 and 417 here in the US but I haven't seen anything official yet. If there's one guy on this forum who knows something it's Tspeis. He Probably knows more than I do on that subject.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
dtheman, You do understand that I'm not taking about running, push ups and crap like that, right. Cuz I'm talking about a medical physical. Depending on where you are appling, some require an EST, PIP, Chem, Hematology, partial to full body radiology, psych eval and the ever popular bend over and grab your sox exam. etc...

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL, my buddy works at the academy part time and tells me about all the fat guys who can't even finish basic mile runs and 10 push ups in a row.

Well everyone thanks for the input everyone, but Ive got my final answer from here:

(HAHAHA eat it colt!!!)

By the way the pin being moved was for the German Market only, the weapon can in no way be possibly modified to function as a full auto.

The US does not have these same regulations. But then again the person who posted that probably won't even read this so I'm just wasting my own time.

·
Banned
114 Posts
Well that's kind of what I was eluding to, the fact that the MR 223 isn't even in the US market.

Interesting thing though, the video link is a comparison of a 416 vs an M4 which to me doesn't really help the question of FS2K vs MR 223.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It helps me out, hopefully the MR223 will be out on the market, probably not until 2009 or later.

I guess its better to say that the release of the MR223 and possible weapons bans will ultimately guide my decision.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts