FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the FS2000. In reading the owner’s manual I came across the following two sentences:

2 types of magazine are available: a 10-round magazine and a 30-round
magazine.

Each FS2000 carbine has been designed to be fitted only with one type of
magazine.

It makes it sound like there are two FS2000s--one for the 10-round and one
for the 30-round. Anybody else catch that? That has to be a poor choice of words, right?

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The more I think about it I believe the gist/meaning of the sentences is not to use a magazine shorter than the equivalent of a 30-round magazine.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The way I read it is there are 2 versions. A 10 rounder and 30 rounder. Why? I'll tell you. Some states have laws saying no removable magazines and capacity limits. So the 10 rounder may be for them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe what they are trying to say is that the gun is designed to be used with one size mag. By that, I am referring to the dimensions (i.e. height) not capacity. There is a ten round mag made for the gun that has an additional base so that the mag protrudes to a point that is about the same length of the standard 30 round mag. -I think what they are trying to avoid is someone jamming a physically shorter mag in the rifle and not being able to get enough of a grip on it to remove it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Has anyone read the whole manual? It reads as though written by someone with Mandarin Chinese as his first language. All sorts of syntax and other errors. I can't imagine that it's that hard to find an American (or at least a Brit or something) to proof-read something like that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yup, Slam, it's not you...it's pretty bad. I do technical writing as a free lance for a communications rag, and I have a friend that's a tech writer; that manual looks like some of the stuff you get with items purchased at China-Mart. How hard can it be to find someone whose first language is the one being printed, and contract them to proof it? Especially when the item's price is in the $2000-$2500 range! Good thing the beauty/performance of the gun compensates for it.

Jim

·
Registered
163 Posts
The passage in the manual in question refers to 2 different versions of the magazine shipped with the rifle, not the rifle itself. Rifles shipped to states with high cap mag restrictions are shipped with the retarded half plastic-half steel 10 round magazine, while states with no restrictions get the FN marked 30 rounder.

My feeling is the manual is translated, which explains the poor writing and unusual mannerisms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts