FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured that I would start a new thread for this one. This is a "work in progress" and I have many additional photos that I can add.

Anyways, my son and I finally took the plunge and disassembled a FS2000 stock. It was a bit easier than we anticipated and if you go slow and think about what you are doing, it should not be a problem.

CAUTION:
Here is how I did it. I am sure that there are other ways, but this is what worked for me. I can not be held responsible for any issues that you may encounter/parts that you damage during your effort.

1 - First start with a clean, uncluttered work area. CAUTION: There are lots of small pins, springs, etc that can be “launched” during disassembly.

2 - Follow the FN instruction manual and field strip the weapon. Make sure the weapon is unloaded, etc, etc., etc. Ensure that the trigger pack, and forward hand guard are removed.

3 - Flip up the toilet seat and remove the toilet lid springs from the holes in the toilet seat. I used a small screw driver to lift each leg.

4 - Drive out the toilet seat pivot pin with a small diameter punch and a small hammer. It does not take much force to remove this pin. You might just be able just be able to push it out with punch.

5 - After completely removing the pin, remove the remove toilet seat.

6 - After you have removed the toilet seat, remove the toilet seat spring. .

7 - Loosen, but do not remove the 10 stock bolts and 1 toilet seat region bolt. You need a hex wrench for a 3mm socket head cap screw. You may need a small adjustable wrench to hold the nut on the toilet seat region bolt to prevent the nut from spinning

CAUTION:
Once you remove the bolt, the associated nut MAY fall off the stock. Mine did not, but they could and they are small/could easily get lost.

8 - Place the stock on your work surface, starboard side down on the surface. The reason to lay it on it’s starboard side is that all the internals/guts are “staged” on the starboard side of the stock.

9 - Keeping the stock together, totally remove all the screws. Ensure that you know which bolt goes where since there are several different lengths of 3mm bolts used.

10 - Verify that you have all the bolts out.

11 - Double verify that all the bolts are out.

12 - Carefully pull apart the two stock halves. It does not take much force. If you need to pry it apart, you are doing something wrong.

CAUTION:
a. There is still the rear sight pin connecting the two stock halves. When you reassemble, you need to ensure that this is lined up properly.
b. There are 5 pins (2 pins on the front portion and 3 in the middle) between the 2 halves in the upper section that you can not see. You will need to confirm that they are all there when the stock halves are separated. These pins are loose and will fall out if you invert the starboard side stock upside down.
c. During stock half separation, the magazine catch spring may have “spring” out of its slot. No big deal, just place it back in place when you assemble the stock.
d. The small spring/latch for the receiver/stock locking piece may “fall out”. See the photo to show how it goes back together.

13 - Take the port side stock half and place it off to the side.

14 - And now the photo of the internals. Note the 5 pins referenced above, the small spring/lever for the receiver/stock locking piece, etc.

15 - The reassembly of the stock halves is fairly simple. The important thing to remember is to ensure that the rear sight pin/spring is properly lined up and that the precautions noted above are observed.

16 - Do not over tighten the stock bolt. Hand tight is best since the nut is a locking type nut.

If you need some additional stock bolts (I currently have an ad on the boards) or one of the alignment pins (will have them shortly), please drop me an e-mail.

Thanks,

Hoover and Son :grin:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Nice post! :?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dtheman said:
holy crap....I kind of wanted a FS2000 one day but that is quite a take down, I might have to pass.
Really, it is not that difficult.

The only time that you would want to do this detailed disassembly is to refinish the plastic stock :shock:.

Go slow and you should have no troubles.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
dtheman said:
oh ok, I figured that was the normal take down for cleaning.
No, just like the PS90 - no need to take the stock apart unless you are painting or repairing something (or installing an internal laser on the PS90)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Rynchester said:
It seems to involve more screws and pins than I originally thought but should still be manageable.

Thanks,

-Rynchester-
Rynchester,

It is really not that bad. Just keep track of what pin/bolt goes where.

One thing that did surpirse me is that FN mixed carbon steel and stainless steel bolts/nuts/pins.

And if anyone needs additional photos of a specific parts/area, please let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally had some time to post after getting back from several field jobs, family, etc.

If anyone is interested in a continuation of this post with assembly "tips", please let me know and my son & I will do a write up.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
3 Posts
d. The small spring/latch for the receiver/stock locking piece may “fall out”. See the photo to show how it goes back together.
Thanks for the excellent post Hoover. I took apart my stock and can't seem to figure out how the that latch/spring is oriented. Could you post up a detailed photo of that area.

Thanks,

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T72MKIV said:
Thanks for the excellent post Hoover. I took apart my stock and can't seem to figure out how the that latch/spring is oriented. Could you post up a detailed photo of that area.

Thanks,
The installation of the small spring/latch for the receiver/stock locking piece is a pain.

There is a "right way" and "wrong way" of installing it.

Let me check my photo file when I return home from work/gym and I'll see what I have.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just want to point out for anyone who isn't familiar with the FS2000, that this type of Stock breakdown is not necessary....moreover the owners manual implicitly says that it should not be done by the individual owner.

I'm sure people will see this and think that it's a crazy intense breakdown that has to be done... but that is far from the truth.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
Beachhead said:
I just want to point out for anyone who isn't familiar with the FS2000, that this type of Stock breakdown is not necessary
As stated by Hoover 1 above. :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hoover 1 said:
dtheman said:
holy crap....I kind of wanted a FS2000 one day but that is quite a take down, I might have to pass.
Really, it is not that difficult.

The only time that you would want to do this detailed disassembly is to refinish the plastic stock :shock:.

Go slow and you should have no troubles.

Thanks,

Don
Again, disassembly of the stock to this point is not required for normal operations.

Please find attached a photo of the small spring/latch for the receiver/stock locking piece.

One tip is that you can use the receiver/stock locking piece to hold the spring/latch in place during assembly.

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks,

Hoover

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks a ton Hoover. I looked for a rep button, but I think I need a few more posts.

The only reason I disassembled my stock was to see what they did to make my rifle CA compliant.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I would like to add that I found it much easier to reassemble the stock with the metal magazine catch and magazine release button removed. Once the halves are together and you have made sure the receiver/stock release interlock lever and spring are installed correctly, you can slide the magazine catch into the stock from the side and then the magazine release button and spring easily pop in from the bottom.

I hope that helps, or at least makes sence.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd like to know if the bolts/nuts/pins are available for sale? I unfortunately have a California neutered and when they installed the magazine lock, they replaced some of the bolts. I'd like to have the originals so that if I leave the state, I can convert it back to normal.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts