FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
You are sorta wrong. Let me tell you about the parts involved with the release of the hammer.

In a semi-auto the "secondary sear" holds the hammer back after each shot, until the trigger is released, then the hammer slips of the secondary sear and the "main sear" holds the hammer until the trigger is pulled.

On an FS2K without a forward sear the secondary and main sears are the only parts controlling the release of the hammer. Unlike the forward sear these sears are not mechanically linked to the bolt in any way, so an out-of-battery release of the hammer IS possible.

Fortunately for those without the forward sear you can't pull the trigger fast enough to drop the hammer on the bolt as it's traveling into battery from the last shot. But if something jams the bolt open, or if the secondary sear fails, you could defiantly have a round going off out-of-battery.

I think a PS90 without a forward sear is more dangerous in this respect. In the FS2K the bolt mates into the barrel assembly, and this 1 inch sleeve would likely protect you from the heaviest piece of shrapnel- the bullet.

I don't exactly think that folks without the forward sear should be scared. For one, the bolt has to be mostly closed for the hammer to hit the firing pin. But 'mostly closed' is still out-of-battery, so you could definitely expect a serious jam or parts breaking. A weapon with its forward sear is not only a bit safer, it's also more reliable.

:( DANG IT. I was just about ready to pick one of these rifles up too. But being the somewhat anal person I am, I start Googling and end up here and find this.
Besides being somewhat anal, I am also somewhat paranoid about possible problems an item I am contemplating might have. It has been my experiance with all things mechanical, if it "Can" happen, it "Will" happen to me. And now throw in a possible legal issue as well.

Ok, in order to, possibly, ease my mind, could someone look over a few hypathetical scenarios I have come up with and tell me the odds of them happening.

1.) I find and purchase an early version with the secondary sear. I am happy, but somewhere down the line, it is declared an illegal set up and at best I will be required to remove it, send in my trigger pack for modification, or worst case, recieve a demand to surrender it or even a "visit" to pick it up.

2.) I purchase a later rifle with said sear removed, and being the somewhat paranoid person, locate said sear, or find another less paranoid owner with a rifle that has the sear and swap trigger packs with him, thus restoring the rifle to its original design. Also possibly opening myself up to legal issues.

3.) I purchase a new rifle without said sear, ignore my previous experience with all things mechanical ( my own Murphys law, if it can happen, it will happen and it will happen to ME ) fire the rifle and have it fire out of battery, destroying my $2000 investment, even if not injuring me. What are the odds FN will cover this.

4.) I just save myself the stress, take my money and buy yet another high end AR-15.

· Registered
2 Posts
4.) I just save myself the stress, take my money and buy yet another high end AR-15.
That's just crazy talk.... :lol:

:( You're right, I am being silly. I have enough AR-15s, I will buy an FS2000, a nice all black one with all the trimmings, it will be fine and not blow my face off at its first opportunity.........................any of you braver than I, "We don't need no stinkin safety sear!" types be interested in a swap? Just color me paranoid :oops:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.