FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this question has been asked before but have not been able to find the complete answer. Are the trigger packs off of guns in the 54xx range that have the second sear safer or less safe or is it not needed for anything? Thanks for any help on this subject.

·
Administrator
12,116 Posts
eesmith1 said:
I know this question has been asked before but have not been able to find the complete answer. Are the trigger packs off of guns in the 54xx range that have the second sear safer or less safe or is it not needed for anything? Thanks for any help on this subject.
That's kind of asking if a 'car with a spare tire' is safer to drive than one without - only if you need it. The FS2000 semi-automatic design does not require or need the use of a secondary safety sear.

The secondary safety sear is in place for automatic fire and it is what releases the hammer as the bolt slides forward if the trigger is depressed fully to the rear of automatic fire F2000's.

While other may disagree, there have been no reports of accidental discharges (that I am aware of) due to the removal of the secondary sear by FNH. There is some speculation as to why it was removed in the newer production of FS2000's. Some say to ATF made it a requirement to further disable the ability of owners attempting to change the firearm into an automatic firearm. Some other say is was a production change in the trigger packs to save on costs, or a combination of both. Some people would prefer to have the secondary sear (I am one of them).

Either way, you still can not make a FS2000's fire in the automatic mode with the old trigger packs unless you do some more serious modifications to the firearm which will get you 10 years and $250,000 in fines if you are caught and prosecuted under federal guidelines.

All this aside, the answer to your question is still open for debate but from what I have seen, read, or heard, - the FS2000 is safe to fire without the secondary sear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts