FN Herstal Firearms banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Not surprised.

Aluminum is a soft metal, can't take much beating.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not surprised.

Aluminum is a soft metal, can't take much beating.
I am not a metallurgist, but the manufacturer claims it is 7075-T6 which is pretty tough stuff. It may just be the coating that is coming apart. I originally thought it was anodized, but given the high rate of wear I'm thinking it may just be a powder coating added for looks. You'd need to put several thousand firing pin strikes on it to really judge durability and longevity. I've got about 1,000 rounds on my oldest polymer hammer and so far I can't (with Mk I Hairy Eyeball) detect any wear on it. The polymer has, in my mind, proven itself in regard to durability.

The main thing I was trying to measure was benefit / cost in regard to trigger pull and feel. I would spend $300 to get a better trigger experience and reduce the wear and tear on my incipiently arthritic index fingers. I'm not looking for a more durable hammer.

·
Premium Member
21,737 Posts
The main thing I was trying to measure was benefit / cost in regard to trigger pull and feel. I would spend $300 to get a better trigger experience and reduce the wear and tear on my incipiently arthritic index fingers. I'm not looking for a more durable hammer.
Company on Gunbroker that says for about $65 they can reduce it to 5lbs. Don't know them or anything other than the links.

K&M Lightning for the FN FS2000 trigger hammer fix : Other Gun Accessories & Parts at GunBroker.com

K&M Aerospace FN FS2000 K&M Lightning

Reactions: Gungineer

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Company on Gunbroker that says for about $65 they can reduce it to 5lbs. Don't know them or anything other than the links.

K&M Lightning for the FN FS2000 trigger hammer fix : Other Gun Accessories & Parts at GunBroker.com

Thanks. That got kicked around a little earlier in the thread. I'd love to see what they are doing but with the limited number of significant resistance points and the wording of their advertisement, I am currently running on the theory that K&M is doing the same thing as my original tests, replacing the strong sear carriage springs with weaker ones. Unless you redesign the firing system, replacing the sear carriage springs appears to be the only way to produce a significant change in trigger pull & feel. I've got mine down to just under 6lb. 0oz. I could go lower and get close to that 5lb. number but didn't like the safety tradeoff I would get using commercially available springs. For $10 and 30 minutes of time, it seems a good benefit / cost ratio.

If anyone has their modification and is willing to put up pictures I would be very interested to see it.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Here we go!
Nice crisp detailed pictures! Thanks tcammack! The springs look different from the OEM springs. Do they look different to you?

Can you take a picture of the bottom of the hammer pack focusing on the sear / disconnect area? I want to see if they drilled out the blind pin. Do you see any modifications the pictures don't show?

Did you install the Neu-Trigger or did that come as part of their modification?

Is the trigger pull about 5lb.?

If you drop the cocked hammer pack on its butt from a couple feet up does it fire?

Thanks for putting up with all the questions and (hopefully :MM: ) taking the time to answer them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here are some more of the underside and of the sear area.

Now for some answers...

The springs look different from the OEM springs. Do they look different to you?
Definitely. I count roughly the same number of coils but the wire is quite a bit thinner. See below for a standard trigger pack.

Do you see any modifications the pictures don't show?
I don't see any obvious grinding or drill marks anywhere on the trigger pack.

Did you install the Neu-Trigger or did that come as part of their modification?
I installed that myself before I sent it off to K&M.

Is the trigger pull about 5lb.?
I don't have a trigger scale to measure it, but it is WAY improved over stock, and even over the Neu-Trigger. Totally worth the $55 (his price on the website). He turned it around really quickly but he only does the work once a week, so time your shipment!

If you drop the cocked hammer pack on its butt from a couple feet up does it fire?
Well... let's just try that...

3 feet drop onto fluffy carpet and yes, it does release the hammer. The hammer actually rotated to the point where it rotated past the "stop" bar and now I don't know how to get it back :oops: Well, all in the name of science... Any thoughts?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Fixed the trigger pack! Had to force the hammer back behind the "stop" bar thing. That is pretty concerning that the it will release the hammer after a drop. Does it do that on a stock trigger pack?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Fixed the trigger pack! Had to force the hammer back behind the "stop" bar thing. That is pretty concerning that the it will release the hammer after a drop. Does it do that on a stock trigger pack?
Thanks for doing that. Glad you were able to get it back around. Yes, a stock hammer pack will fire if dropped onto a relatively hard surface (wood floor with thin carpet) from 20". My home modified hammer pack that produces a trigger pull of just under 6lb. fires when dropped from 10".

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Here is what happened when I dropped it... and the chunk of plastic the hammer springs removed when they ripped through the "stop" bar.
I had the same over-rotation happen when I used springs that had too short of a solid height. That factored into my choice of spring, as documented earlier in this thread.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same prings, 1.75 coils removed

Just wanted to share that I decided to shorten the springs using my dremel and a very small cut off wheel. I used needle nose pliers to pull them back and cut them in half coil sections. The process was very quick. Just need to remove the one pin to remove the vertical metal plate.

The pull is so so so much better, I'd guess about 35-40%. I've tried roating the springs and dropping it 15 times from 15". I've had no fires. I have the neo trigger on order. Once that arrives I think it will be perfect.

Good luck, just wanted to share.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks. After a few hundred rounds the pull with the modified hammer pack with the reduced power springs has settled in at about 5lb. 14oz., which is a little less than I was shooting for. I have a few more variations I want to try but work got very busy (good for wallet for to buy toys, bad for free time to enjoy) and I managed to fall down some slippery concrete steps. Put my left hand and wrist (and my back) out of commission. Hopefully I will have enough strength and flexibility back in a couple of weeks to get back on the important stuff. :?:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Gungineer, did you drill out the blind pin on the front sear? If so, how are you securing the lateral pin back in place?

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I personally think the neu trigger is crap. I threw mine in the garbage after it came off and jammed up the trigger group while dry firing. I saw a significant improvement from polishing the trigger rods and lubricating the contact surfaces. Not all that glitters is gold.

Reactions: SONYtec

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Gungineer, did you drill out the blind pin on the front sear? If so, how are you securing the lateral pin back in place?
I did not, although that was one option I explored. If you drill out the blind pin with a super hardened bit (Carbide, cobalt, diamond), a miniature set screw would need to be put in.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
I did not, although that was one option I explored. If you drill out the blind pin with a super hardened bit (Carbide, cobalt, diamond), a miniature set screw would need to be put in.
That pin is there for a reason. ATF. I wouldn't mess with it. Altering that could lead to potentional trouble. Just Sayin'

41 - 60 of 75 Posts