FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess this is as good a place as any for this post. I am looking to buy a nice high end carbine before one of the three democrats gets into office. Now I know they may not be fast to change the laws, but I don't want to take chances.

I have handled several different ARs, the FS2000, and a couple of Sig 556s. I really like the the FS2000, but for the price and possibly parts availability. The sig is nicely priced at Sportsman's Warehouse. The MASADA is an unknown factor right now. And the AR15 is a proven platform, but I don't much care for the ergonomics. I would have to go with either an A2 type stock or one of the magpull brand stocks so I could get a decent cheekweld.

So what are the disadvantages to the FS2000? If you have any of the others, what do you like/prefer about each gun?

This carbine would be my primary to only rifle. I would use it for target practice and home defense. I figure I don't want to go cheap, I want a premium rifle for once. Oh If I don"t respond much, it is because I am usually on my phone. I can browse here, but I haven't figured out where the message entry box is. I am posting this message from a library computer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The FS2000 has a LOT going for it right off the bat...

From a collector's standpoint, it is sure to climb in value over time for a number of reasons.

1) It's made entirely in Belgium. It could be stopped from importation by the stroke of a pen without even having to be subject to another ban. Therefore, it is probably the most likely to go away first.

2) It's made by a military OEM who also manufacturers the F2000 for the mil/LEO worldwide. The FS2000 is not a "clone" or "copy" like some companies have cloned the AUG. It's the genuine article.

3) If history repeats as it did with the Austrian AUG, the FS2000 is likely to ATLEAST double in value over time.

From a shooter's perspective, the FS2000 is a very unique platform which is totally ambidextrous, very fast on target and very reliable.

Regarding the 556, it is also coming from a subsidiary the Swiss manufacturer of the 55x original. As you probably already know, it accepts NATO AR15 mags (like the FS2000) and is based on the very robust 550 series action, which is AK inspired.

Between those two, I'd go with the FS2000, but I also own a 556 and I think it's one of the best 5.56 carbines on the market today.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

If you opt for the 556, skip the SWAT, or DMR versions as your best bet is going with the base model and adding some top quality aftermarket accessories of your choice.

Good Luck! :cool:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Cool factor FS2000, the one and the only, you can't go wrong with an AR colt 6920.I own lots coolToys (HKs,Glocks,Hi end 1911s,S&W revolvers,five seven,Ar15,fs 2000 and my new PS90).All are the best tools money can buy,but I only trust my 6920 and my Les Baer 1911 out of the bunch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
fs2000 has excellent bullup balance. forward ejection kicks ass. just put a box in front of u and it will catch all the brass. very clean shooting. but compared to ar15, there are several weakness.

-no pistol grip
-gas system is cleaner but also more recoil, very noticeable under rapid fire.
-trigger is also very hard, no where near as fast as ar15.
-no forward rails that's easily available.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I would get the AR - for 1 very good reason.
When the dems pass their assault weapons ban you will still be able to buy AR parts for the foreseeable future - can't say the same about the others.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When the dems pass their assault weapons ban you will still be able to buy AR parts for the foreseeable future - can't say the same about the others.
WOW... That's a pretty defeatist attitude...

Why stop there? With that line of thinking, what makes you think they won't pull Janet Reno out of retirement to kick your door down and seize all your existing shooting irons (from ARs to pellet guns) and the steak knives too?

It's pretty sad indeed when gun owners themselves are willing to accept defeat before the election even happens.

·
Registered
350 Posts
unless you plan on buying a barrett 50 and taking out the trash, hes right..

its easy to say he accepts defeat, but what will you do?
would you fight and die in opposition of a repressive government?
if not, the man is right..

·
Registered
857 Posts
Germanic said:
WOW... That's a pretty defeatist attitude...

Why stop there? With that line of thinking, what makes you think they won't pull Janet Reno out of retirement to kick your door down and seize all your existing shooting irons (from ARs to pellet guns) and the steak knives too?

It's pretty sad indeed when gun owners themselves are willing to accept defeat before the election even happens.
I like to think of myself as a realist
So if McCain wins our guns our safe? :roll:

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
i wish he would win but i dont foresee that happening....

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I'm with wlcohen. You have to be realistic. You can be optimistic all you want while standing on a train track... but it won't stop that train.

No matter who wins this election or the next one... if you look around at the rest of the world and our seeming desire to integrate more with other countries... is it more likely that countries like England will reverse gun laws and privatize health care or will we create more restrictive gun laws and nationalize health care?

Unfortunatly I see this country giving up its identity to appease others and becoming more "social". So, if you want to see what this contry will look like in 50 or less years, just look at England, Canada, etc.
:(

·
Registered
94 Posts
Good GOD!

You guys are OUT THERE!

Take a step back and look at what has happened in the past few years... More states have adopted CCW laws than ever in history. While the Doom & Gloomers said Clinton's AWB would never sunset... Guess what... IT DID!

We've got more options in the way of excellent new firearms on the market than we've had in nearly 20 years. FN is bringing their front-line products to the US consumer market. We've got two AUG alternatives, and there's a good chance that Steyr USA will be offering an A3. We've got the Kriss and the Masada/ACR. Robinson has their XCR, SIG released a 55x platform, There is a literal multitude of AKs available as well as the Vz58. Hell, we may even see the 416 down the road.

All that Doom & Gloom talk will do is give more incentive for unscrupulous retailers to rip people off on prices of firearms and hi-cap magazines. Not to mention it becoming a self fulfilling prophecy. On top of that, once the collective negative attitude becomes commonplace, manufacturers will see less reason to risk capitol in bringing new products to market.

I suppose you guys have the right to sit in your bunkers and sulk about the direction society is headed... Hey, if if floats your boat, good for you...

As for me, I don't rule out the realistic possibility that some crazy new legislation MAY come down the pike.

BUT... I'm NOT going to overlook the possible purchase of some excellent new products on the "What If" possibility that a new ban MIGHT happen. I've got a life to live and the Liberals have already WON if I stop enjoying my pastime...

I think people tend to forget... The last ban that stopped all the importation of cool stuff like SIG 55x, FALs, FNCs, HK9x, Galils, Valmets, AUGs, ect. really wasn't a Gun Control measure so much as it was a protectionist act for domestic manufacturers. Before Clinton took over with his silly AWB ban, we were barred from the European long arms but domestic hi-cap long arms had all the "Evil" features most people wanted.

Now, FN, Steyr and perhaps even HK will be offering some excellent new products for the US consumer market...

BUT, that's not good enough.... Lets forget all the positive things we have to be thankful for and just worry about the POSSIBILITY that everything has already gone to $h!+.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm with wlcohen. You have to be realistic. You can be optimistic all you want while standing on a train track... but it won't stop that train.
Yes, it's great to be optimistic... You tend to be happier and live longer.

You can look down the tracks, see the headlight coming, hear the horn in the distance...

Bide your time...

Then... When you can feel the ground shake and hear a loud rumble as it approaches...

Throw the switch and send it down a different line.

It's a LOT like pulling a voting lever.

It's worked for over 200 years. No reason to believe it won't now.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
My vote is for an AR or the Bushmaster ACR. Because of the price. Some manufactures are asking way to much for a weapon that fires the same round as the others. Find one that shoots straight and buy it.

I personally like the ACR concept, but as noted, its untested as of yet. The FS2K is way overpriced IMO, and so is the AUG's, and HK's. The Sig's aren't too bad but are front end heavy.

In the end, if I were you, I'd handle all that I was interested in, then look in my wallet and see what I really needed. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Choice of rifles

Germanic said:
The FS2000 has a LOT going for it right off the bat...

From a collector's standpoint, it is sure to climb in value over time for a number of reasons.

1) It's made entirely in Belgium. It could be stopped from importation by the stroke of a pen without even having to be subject to another ban. Therefore, it is probably the most likely to go away first.

2) It's made by a military OEM who also manufacturers the F2000 for the mil/LEO worldwide. The FS2000 is not a "clone" or "copy" like some companies have cloned the AUG. It's the genuine article.

3) If history repeats as it did with the Austrian AUG, the FS2000 is likely to ATLEAST double in value over time.

From a shooter's perspective, the FS2000 is a very unique platform which is totally ambidextrous, very fast on target and very reliable.

Regarding the 556, it is also coming from a subsidiary the Swiss manufacturer of the 55x original. As you probably already know, it accepts NATO AR15 mags (like the FS2000) and is based on the very robust 550 series action, which is AK inspired.

Between those two, I'd go with the FS2000, but I also own a 556 and I think it's one of the best 5.56 carbines on the market today.

I don't think you could go wrong either way.

If you opt for the 556, skip the SWAT, or DMR versions as your best bet is going with the base model and adding some top quality aftermarket accessories of your choice.

Good Luck! :cool:

:grin:

I agree with eveything stated above.

I have:

1. FN FS2000
2. FN PS90 - laser & light added with factory rails added. FBI sight
3. SIG 556 SWAT - I like the swat model. You can add a riser to the stock, the sight rail, add an EOTECH with an EOTECH 3X flip Magnifier,
get a chareging handle that points down instead of up and a front pivot pin, spring loaded instead of screw on and you have the best of the best!

4. Bushmaster M4, short barreled - 11.5" + 5.5" flash hider - highly modified.

5. FN STG58 - FN FAl
6. AK 47 Arsenal
7. Springfield M1A Supermatch
8. HK SL8-1
9. Draganov Chinese 308
10.SKS's
11. Others

My point is I have a few and shot a few.
They all have their values and place.

As to the "QUESTION:"

CHOOSE WHAT YOU LIKE AND BE HAPPY WITH IT !!!

THE FN FS2000 AND THE SIG 556 SWAT CAN NOT BE BEAT.

THE QUESTION IS - DO YOU WANT A BULLPUP OR A FULL SIZED RIFLE.
THEY ARE BOTH VERY ACCURATE AND A GOOD VALUE FOR THE MONEY.
YOU WILL DIE OF OLD AGE BEFORE THEY WEAR OUT.

Tom

:grin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts