FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out testing some HK's "HK21E 9" brl., HK53, MP5K etc" and decided to shoot a FS2000 I had just picked up. I like the gun and wish HK would have done but FN did a good job. Looking for a second one and picked up a PS90. I will SBR as soon as we figure that out. ANYHOW....When I shot it a couple of days ago I used Winchester White box and it ran fie. By the way at 300-400 yards offhand shooting its really accurate, if your a rabbit your history.
Today I decided to run some WOLF 223 I picked up because it was cheaper. It would only fire a few rounds then wouldnt recoil enough to chamber another round. I switched to extreme condition setting on the gas port and it was fine but recoil was heavier than Winchester on normal setting. When firing a HK53 in full auto the rate of fire and recoil was down but functioned OK with the WOLF. With the FS2000 I also got some lite or no primer hit marks on the low setting with WOLF and was wondering if there was a way to bring the gun back to harder firing pin hits. I saw somewhere that FN recalled som FS2000 in 2007 because of slam fires on commercial rounds and did something to lighten the hits.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hmmm.... The FS2K I recently tested for a friend has had no problems w/a couple of hundred rds of the Wolf 55gr polymer on the std gas setting. However, since he handed me the rifle NIB the first thing I did was to detail strip and thoroughly clean/lube it to remove FN's "storage lubricant" that can cause functioning problems if not completely removed. Do a thorough cleaning/lubing as per the manual then give it another try. HTH...
Tomac

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. It was shot with the Winch white box first and no initial cleaning had been done. The wolf is the stuff you see everywhere, steel case (grey)boxer primed.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I broke mine in with remington 55grain and have shot a couple hundred rounds of wolf 55 with zero problems. It's on the factory gas setting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Out Shooting Again

We have been out a couple of weekends and have put 500-600 rounds thru it. Wolf is still the same deal, sometimes not recoiling enough to set hammer into fire mode. Same thing happened with some 1983 stuff I had laying around. Go to extreme duty setting and no problem. Gun is clean and lightly lubed. By the way I almost was thinking about getting rid of it when someone posted it would be hard to clear a jam! We decided to disasemble (no book) and discovered this gun breaks down to 4 compononts in about 10 seconds. Obviously the poster never had this gun. Push a long button and the complet barrel assembly is out of the gun in maybe 4 seconds if you drag your feet! I figure maybe this gun needs the gas port reamed out just a little bit to be a solid performer.

Ralph
www.rdts.com

·
Registered
980 Posts
As for getting the firring pin to hit harder people have cut coils or entirely removed the firing pin spring. I heard the F2000 doesn't have a firing pin spring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make sure the three gaskets on the piston have the gaps spaced far apart. I had a little trouble with Wolf, but the gaskets were all lined up, and some gas was blowing past the piston.

·
Registered
94 Posts
ArizonaGoat said:
Make sure the three gaskets on the piston have the gaps spaced far apart. I had a little trouble with Wolf, but the gaskets were all lined up, and some gas was blowing past the piston.
+1 Good call...

Also, keep in mind people with a lot of different guns have experienced cycling issues with Wolf ammo. Most carbines like the FS2000 and SIG 556 are designed for 5.56 NATO ammo. That's notablly hotter than .223 in most casses. Wolf by many accounts is actually weaker than .223, so some NATO spec'd guns short stroke as a result.

I'd say you'll be fine after your FS2K gets a few hundred rounds down range, but I personally never shoot Wolf. YMMV.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Mine works fine with Wolf, even on the normal gas setting. Have not had a light primer strike either, even with the old trigger pack.

Since it's a piston action, the dirtyness of the powder isn't really as much of an issue. The only issue is that a steel case won't seal at the neck quite as well, and you'll get residue in the chamber. If you start shooting brass ammo after a high volume of Wolf or Barnaul you'll end up with some pretty dirty brass cases, or possibly some stuck ones, although that has not happened to me personally.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello, Newbie here from Mich and this forum. I just bought my FS 2000 yesterday and some wolf. I noticed the same problem shooting it on the standard gas setting.

I was however to anxious to clean it before shooting it. So will do that this week and try it again and see what happens.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I ran 200 rounds of Wolf cheap-O ammo through, with only one problem.. the magazine follower twisted, and it fed a round weird, that was then hung up on one of the locking lugs..

Pulled the "toilet seat up" could see the jammed round, pulled the charging handle back, and locked it open, removed the magazine, and the round fell clear of the gun.

Re-loaded the same round after seeing it had no defects from the event, and I also used it to "unstick" the magazine follower.. and the two final rounds in the mag.. Put the 3 rounds in the mag, slid the mag in, and tapped the charging handle down with no more problems feeding at all. (Fired all three rounds flawlessly.)

A different follower design might be good.. Magpul makes one they claim does not twist..

Can't say that about the FNH design/source. (I doubt they make their own mags, but they might.)

OH, I cleaned my gun completely BEFORE I went shooting with it.. as reccomended by FNH in the owners manual.. LOL And oiled it with CLP as reccomended too... When I pulled the gas piston. two of the three rings were lined up.. Not good. I put them in spaced evenly apart from each other.. no problems.. The tools provided with this gun work like they were designed for this gun. :) Nice setup, and nice rifle for sure. Great balance, and I have big hands, so the ergonomics are perfect for me, even with thin gloves on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shot some wolf 75gr HP steel case stuff last weekend and it wouldnt cycle on normal gas setting at all. Flipped to adverse and it ran like a champ.

HAs anyone tried Barnaul/Bear ammo?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was using 55gr Wolf last weekend and had 4 jams. In each jam, the spent casing got stuck some where in the ejection tube. I'll need to try again with the gas setting switched.

·
Registered
43 Posts
my FS2000 does not like the Wolf 62gr. FMJ at all,....

i still have the spring on my FP so i would get failures to fire due to light primer hits,.and when it did fire the round off it would short stroke,.. i never thought to change the gas setting from normal to adverse. (the 2K & my para FAL are the only guns i have that i can adjust the gas setting)

i ended up saving the Wolf for my AR i built (it blasted thru it like a champ) and used the pile of Radway i had with me in the FN,. once i switiched anno i did not have any problems with my FS2000.

i am sure i could take the FP spring off easy enough,.. but i want to leave it the way it is,. i have pleany of Radway and i need to save the Wolf for my 5.56 AK's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine would not work on the "normal" setting with Wolf--switched to "adverse" and ran like a champ.

I don't think I cleaned it really well before firing, though. May work well in "normal" once I clean the damn thing really well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have shot a few hundred rounds through mine with zero issues whatsoever, other than them not being allowed at local matches since they're magnetic.

Regular gas setting, gun clean, piston rings set per instructions. I actually suspect the rings to be the primary reason why people complain about Wold ammo, even on ARs.

Note that steel cases don't expand to fill the chamber the way brass cases do, causing gas and combustion byproducts to coat the chamber walls. So be sure to clean the chamber before switching back to brass, or you could end up with a stuck case, especially when you have a very high round count of Wolf/Barnaul prior to the switch.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts