FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an FS2000 about a month ago. I have fired about 2500 rounds through it so far. The first thousand and a half consisted of mostly Fiocchi FMJ 55 gr with the the remainder being a spattering of Guatemalan surplus and green tip. The second thousand was Wolf........... I can hear it now: "Why would you shoot that crap through your $2000 weapon?" Well, for the sake of science, or at least curiosity, that's why. I was curious to see what the deal was with Wolf. So much has been written. Were the dimensions really out of spec? Would it really crud up the works? Would it feed through the FS2000? Would different mags work with it? Did it really smell like Siberian reindeer sh**?
I'm a practicing mechanical engineer with 20 yrs. experience designing complex medical devices, and guns. I am also a precision machinist and quite studied in material science with a focus on metals. Anyway, here's what I found out about Wolf:

I bought a thousand rounds of Wolf (polymer coated) 62 gr FMJ .223 Remington from Cabelas ($199). I downloaded a US Army Research and Development Center drawing of a 5.56 case (dwg. no. 9378276) for dimensional analysis. I measured 5 random rounds (taken from multiple boxes) of both Wolf and Fiocchi for comparison. I also inspected the rounds visually at 5X (optivsor). Here's what I found:

Both the Fiocchi and Wolf were in compliance with the US Army drawing dimensionally. I used a micrometer for the case dimensions and a caliper for the length dimensions. Every external dimension was measured. Elsewhere in this forum it was posted that Wolf was dimensionally larger than Fiocchi. That was not my experience. The Wolf Ammo was actually smaller in all case diameter dimensions, and the same as Fiocchi in length dimensions. The diameter of the Wolf bullet was in spec. but was out of round by .0005". The Fiocchi was also in spec but not measurably out of round.
Visual inspection revealed what I considered the most obvious flaw in the Wolf ammo: the bullet crimp. I inspected at least twenty rounds randomly for this flaw. In most rounds, the crimp at the bullet interface was un-noticable, but in some, the crimp was quite pronounced. Deep indentations at the interface and a slightly longer overall length, still in specification, but longer due to the heavy crimp. The Fiocchi showed none of this. Very consistent crimps and overall length.

Now, on to the field test:

I loaded the FN mag that came with my FS2000 with 30 rds. of the Wolf ammo and went for it. The first round fired just fine, but the second did not fire. I opened the inspection door and found that the first case had not ejected fully. I suspected weak ammo and set the gas valve to "crappy ammo" (45 deg. left). I re-chambered a round and proceeded to empty the mag. I went through 400 rounds using the FN mag and the valve set to "crappy" with no problems. Inspection of the gun, post range, revealed no evidence of sticky residue or red sealant.

Without cleaning the gun, I headed to the range about two weeks later. This time, I had three new C-products mags with the gray magpul followers as well as the FN mag and some random AR mags that my buddy let me use. One of his mags was loaded with Fiocchi. This was the first mag used and I set the valve to "good ammo" (straight up). It worked just fine and I jammed in a mag full of Wolf next. The first round fired just fine, and you guessed it, the next did not. I forgot to set the valve to "crappy". After setting the valve, I proceeded to pump another 600 rounds of Wolf through it using C-products mags and various old AR mags from prior mentioned buddy. I experienced no problems whatsoever. Every round fired and ejected properly.

This is not meant to be an endorsement for Wolf ammo, only my experience with Wolf and the FS2000. I did not attempt to measure the accuracy/consistency of the Wolf ammo, nor did I analyze the long term effect of the steel case of the Wolf ammo on the FS2000. I also did not do any type of chemical analysis of the residue. I merely wanted to relay my experiences with Wolf so that you FS2000 owners would be even more enlightened.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Thanks alot for this, I think for me anyways its the steel case on the parts. Im going to have to switch to wolf soon with the price of ammo and this does help ease that change.

I have only seen a few bad things happen useing Wolf ammo and all where with AR's and some low cost whimpy extracters.

No wolf has ever touched any of my AR-15's or FS2k yet but I do run it all the time in mini-14's and out of a 223 AK and never had any trouble with them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
fatratmatt said:
I did not attempt to measure the accuracy/consistency of the Wolf ammo, nor did I analyze the long term effect of the steel case of the Wolf ammo on the FS2000. I also did not do any type of chemical analysis of the residue. I merely wanted to relay my experiences with Wolf so that you FS2000 owners would be even more enlightened.
This is really the most important part. The reason people don't use Wolf generally is that the cases are harder on the extractor or that it isn't accurate. I don't think anyone has chambered wolf expecting the gun to blow up. If anything the result of it will be far down the road most likely.

I really wish you would have tested accuracy as thats what I would wonder about the most. I don't like wolf ammo cause I feel like I'm shoothing dirty .22 ammo the whole day if I use it. Gets all over your hands. I still will use a wolf 7.62 round in trash like the AK but I may be done with buying it in .223. As I have gotten older I have found the rifles I buy are getting more expensive, especially the .223 ones.

Wolf ammo doesn't seem like a good option in a FS2000. Its a complex gun from the insertion of the clip to the ejection of the round. I will run it all day in my Bushy because I don't care about that gun much. I have also shot a case of wolf through my SL8 but thats when it was 90 bucks for 1000. I have a much harder time paying for sh!t ammo for 160-200 a case. At that point you might as well buy the good stuff.

But anything that costs 2k is worth babying a bit. I won't shoot wolf in any Class 3 items either. It may that I am a snob or maybe its just I have gone down the cheap path in other hobbies and been burned but no steel, caked in crap ammo is going through my NFA stuff.

If you do an accuracy report let us know. I am interested. I am glad you found that the gas chamber setting helped too. If I ever do end up using similar ammo I am glad I know thats an option that actually works.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Great report!!! :cool:

The more info. like this that we can get, the better. It's interesting to note, I think I remember reading about SIG 556s requiring the adverse setting while running Wolf as well. It's my understanding that Wolf is a little on the weak side, so it stands to reason the extra gas makes it more reliable in piston guns.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Keep in mind if the steel cased ammo wears out your FS2000's extractor sooner so that it breaks, there are no spare extractors available in the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts