FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got a hold of some 197 ammo, dusted off the ol' ps90 (actually cleaned up a bit), and headed to the range.
Gun is still pretty new without many rounds down range (and no action in the past 4 months or so).

Anyway, was having failure to feed issues about every 4 rounds or so (sometimes almost every other). WTF I'm thinking. I made sure mag was well seated, tried a different mag, said a prayer etc - nothing really helped. When I would get a feed failure I had to rack the slide to chamber a round. On one occasion when there was a FTF I removed the magazine and found a round stovepiped at the feed ramp. On a couple other occasions when I racked the slide, an unfired round ejected and had a distinctive look (the bullet was jammed down into the casing). Pic is included (2 normal rounds bookending 2 funky rounds). Seems like I have at issue at the feed ramp.

Anybody heard or seen this before in the ps90? Any advice on the next step?
Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
197? Are you sure it wasn't AE? It sound similar to this issue.

Reactions: aPatriot and LESTER

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had this problem with one PS90. It was with AE, but I didn't ever get to try any other ammo. I tried the exact same batch of AE with the same mags on another PS90 I had, fed fine. I then tried all other ammo types on the known working well PS90.

Instead of wasting more time/ammo on the questionable PS90, I just didn't buy that one.

Not sure how much this helps.

·
Registered
508 Posts
That is definitely AE, not ss197 in that picture. I had a couple of issues similar to yours with AE in my ps90, but I'm thinking it just have been a bad lot of ammo because I've used AE since then without issue. I have never had any malfunctions in my five seven or ps90 except with that one lot of AE.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah !!! You guys are good.

I had ss197 on the brain as I bought some today (but indeed used my AE ammo at the range).

I have assorted mags (some coming with ps90 at purchase, others bought later). All came in FN packaging and appeared to check out when I looked at a post describing their telltale signs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Holy crap! I had this problem as well. Didn't know about that previous thread discussing the AE ammo. I purchased my PS90 brand new in Jan/Feb 2013, and put about 500 rounds of AE5728A ammo downrange, and 50 rounds of SS197SR. Lots of this type of failure to feed/pushing the round into the shell. Probably 10-12 incidents in those 500 rounds of AE.

Just got my PS90 back from FN yesterday. Been with their repair shop for about six weeks. I don't know if they did anything, their online customer service status said "Minor Repairs".

Once I can get my hands on it, I think I'll just stick with FN brand ammo.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yup, I've had issues with AE ammo as well. SS197 and SS195 feed perfectly in my PS90. With AE ammo, I get FTF every once in a while, but pretty randomly.

I wouldn't trust AE ammo when your life depends on it (e.g. home defense), so I keep only SS197 or SS195 loaded in my mags at home. I use AE only for the range.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
When BBG and I shot with AE ammo, he had all kinds of failure to feeds. One time he even had the bullet separate from the case and powder went everywhere inside the rifle.

I never had an issue with AE ammo, but after seeing what happened to him and now this post I am now leery of AE ammo.

As for Sarge's suggestion, it is a good one. There was a guy here who made new custom rollers that solved the issue.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Plain and simple JHS has been correct about this ammo situation in both the FsN & PS90 platforms all along. I'm stubborn, so I didn't take his advice and kept buying AE 5.7x28 all winter long. Have something like 3,500 rounds and after the weather got nice in March and I started shooting it up.

Probably shot 1,500 rounds of this crap and in both the FsN & PS90 I have constant issues. Factory mags, clean weapons etc, etc so I know it's the ammo. A few weeks ago I went out to shoot and in one instance the bullet actually came unseated from the casing while firing my PS90; the bullet was stuck in the way of the slide and it would not move in either direction. The casing was laying somewhere down inside the riffle and powder poured out everywhere, internally. My lot #'s on the ammo are GTG so it's not from the bad batch. FTF,FTE, stovepipes, double feeds (I swear) you name and I've had it.

This ammo is crap and I fell for it because I was new to the PS90 & FsN and didn't want to spend the money on the right ammo. I'm stubborn though, so after the incident a few weeks ago I'm done with it. Factory recommended ammo only moving forward. I only wish I would have listened earlier....

·
Registered
195 Posts
Probably shot 1,500 rounds of this crap and in both the FsN & PS90 I have constant issues. Factory mags, clean weapons etc, etc so I know it's the ammo. A few weeks ago I went out to shoot and in one instance the bullet actually came unseated from the casing while firing my PS90; the bullet was stuck in the way of the slide and it would not move in either direction. The casing was laying somewhere down inside the riffle and powder poured out everywhere, internally. My lot #'s on the ammo are GTG so it's not from the bad batch. FTF,FTE, stovepipes, double feeds (I swear) you name and I've had it.
I had this exact issue on one PS90 with AE, but not on another. Fired 300+ rounds of the same case through the other PS90 with the same mags, no issues.

Maybe this particular PS90 is more accepting of such issues, either way I am happy with the PS90 I have as it feeds the cheaper AE.

·
Registered
22,124 Posts
Try some other ammo, like the real 197 or 195 from FN see how it goes.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
It's no longer about what weapon is more accepting of broad types of ammo for me; my lesson learned is garbage in garbage out - not in my fn weapons anymore.

195, 196, 197 & 198 so far not a single challenge. Like butter.

I had this exact issue on one PS90 with AE, but not on another. Fired 300+ rounds of the same case through the other PS90 with the same mags, no issues.

Maybe this particular PS90 is more accepting of such issues, either way I am happy with the PS90 I have as it feeds the cheaper AE.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Have experienced the same with AE. Friend was over during the 4th of July weekend shooting AE through his PS90 with a few FTFs and pushed in rounds, he even had some rounds that sounded "off" as in very under charged. They were definitely quieter then the rest of rounds that were expended. All I know is the brass makes for some nice reloads since he leaves it for me :D I have had a few FTFs in my PS90, and no problems with the FsN(s) with AE. It is only for plinking, and nothing else, as all it will do is poke little holes.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
OK, looks like I am not alone!

As Sarge suggested, I will do a mag takedown and see if there is a roller hang up issue. As it happened with 2 different mags, I'm guessing not - but it helps to reduce the variables.

The prior post dealing with similar issues ended in 2012, and it sounded like AE chalked this up to a production quality control issue. As has been suggested, I'll head back to the range with those pricey and scarce FN blue tips and put this issue to rest.

Wonder what I should be doing with the AE I still have? As it seems quite possible that one of the rounds with depressed bullet actually makes it to the chamber, I'm a bit concerned that I might wind up with a problem much greater than a wasted round. Thought of having to pull back bolt and manually chamber each AE round in a weapon with 50 round mag cracks me up. Where do they make this ammo, NY or CA? Purchased at Cabelas, though think its AE's issue. If the ss197 feeds well, I guess I'll notify both. Probably an exercise in futility.

Thanks to all for the helpful advice.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Have experienced the same with AE. Friend was over during the 4th of July weekend shooting AE through his PS90 with a few FTFs and pushed in rounds, he even had some rounds that sounded "off" as in very under charged. They were definitely quieter then the rest of rounds that were expended. All I know is the brass makes for some nice reloads since he leaves it for me :D I have had a few FTFs in my PS90, and no problems with the FsN(s) with AE. It is only for plinking, and nothing else, as all it will do is poke little holes.
I was watching (while waiting for them to finish) the PD and SOT at the range shoot a PS90/P90 FA. They had some AE ammo as well and when run FA, you could hear the rounds slow down the speed back up through one 50rd mag. Definite indication of variation is powder, pressure, or something

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.