FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a lightly used FNP-45 a few weeks ago. Previous owner owns stock in a grease company, gotta be. PolymerSafe QuickScrub got the frame and recoil spring clean, IPA got the barrel and slide clean. Now what.

Manual sez functional lubricant on barrel and all moving surfaces other than the polymer frame. And no teflon loaded lubes. Noted this in searching this forum, too. No mention of any specific lube in the manual.

Couple of options. 1) Sentry Solutions Smooth Kote followed by BP2000 on barrel and slide/bushing surfaces, nothing on the frame or any components thereof or 2) Mobil 1 15W50, Montana Gun Oil, TM M-24 Gun Oil as the only non-teflon loaded oils on hand.

Regardless I'm not reading anything in the manual the recoil spring should get any lube at all, is this the common wisdom?

Oh and hi, first post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA, Pete

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Welcome and congrats :shock:

Well...

I'd say a lot of us FNP owners use lubes that are loaded with teflon :oops:
None of us can think of a reason why it wouldn't be alright. I personally am using Tetra gun grease at the moment but might try TW25B gun grease.

As for the recoil spring, I have put a little on it, but not much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
djv38 said:
Welcome and congrats :shock:
Thanks! And thanks! Yeah, it definitely rocks. Seriously.

djv38 said:
Well...

I'd say a lot of us FNP owners use lubes that are loaded with teflon :oops:
None of us can think of a reason why it wouldn't be alright. I personally am using Tetra gun grease at the moment but might try TW25B gun grease.

As for the recoil spring, I have put a little on it, but not much.
Other than the difficult to work mag release button I can't find any negatives with it so far. Very cool pistol design, fits well, points naturally, built like a tank - think I'm going to like it.

Had a nice long detailed response ready to go and the site timed out, lost it all, figures.

Teflon loaded lubricants apparently need low viscosity carriers to get the teflon into small spaces where it can do some good. For example Birchwood-Casey Synthetic Gun Oil (which is headed for the garage) lists aliphatic naptha as its first ingredient which as it turns out is acetone. Not a good thing to get around polymer frames I'm guessing. Must be the cleaning part of the feature set listed by the manufacturer, cleaning, lubricating, protecting. Say, that sounds familiar...

CLP's MSDS lists isodecyl pelargonate first which turns out to be a plasticizer and "isodecyl pelargonate tends to dissolve the glassy polybutadiene polymers" (google).

ABS, a polybutadiene plastic just might be related to the frame polymer. Looks like polyamide,6/ABS blends make for some decent structural plastics so ya' never know.

And isodecyl pelargonate is a low density, low viscosity, low vapor pressure carrier that might soften the frame over time, dunno if that's a fact but it sounds plausible. Mostly.

Read somewhere on thehighroad that Mobil 1 has the same base chemical as CLP per their respective MSDSs but I'm not finding this comparing them. But to be safe I'll skip that option leaving it just for lubing the reloading press's linear bearings.

Sentry Solutions SmoothKote on the barrel and slide followed with their BP2000 moly powder might work well but nothing on the recoil spring or frame. Although the frame rails and the barrel lockup I think should be coated just to be safe. Now the frame's cleaned out with the QuickScrub the trigger is noticably smoother and easier to operate. The manual says the polymer is self-lubricating so this makes sense.

Only other options are Montana Xtreme or TM M-24 gun oil. I've used Tetra gun grease on rifles like my M1 where it's stayed grease-like for ten years and hasn't migrated that I can see. Also use it on an XD40sc without any issues but am reconsidering now. Might go with the Sentry Solutions process there too. Worked on a S&W 1911, at least so far. And if the FN doesn't like the SmoothKote then Tetra gun grease and CLP it is. If they work for everybody else, what the heck.

I think I oughta ping FN and ask if any of this is even vaguely what they meant, could be way off in the weeds. Not like that's never happened before...

Thanks very much,
Pete

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
Acetone (and similar chemicals) don't mix well with some plastics, so that makes sense. I try not to get any on the polymer, so I should be safe. I'm not exactly sure what all is in tetra, as I'm not looking at it at the moment, but I doubt they'd put acetone in it. I should check the ingredients some day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cooter said:
I use slip 2000 on everything.
Haven't ever looked at slip 2000 products, dunno why. Just googled their product page and it sounds promising. Gotta check it out, thanks for the tip. Do you use any of their other products?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
djv38 said:
Acetone (and similar chemicals) don't mix well with some plastics, so that makes sense. I try not to get any on the polymer, so I should be safe. I'm not exactly sure what all is in tetra, as I'm not looking at it at the moment, but I doubt they'd put acetone in it. I should check the ingredients some day.
I can't find an msds for Tetra products of any kind. There's a site that links to all available msds but I'm not finding it there even under FTI, inc. Since grease is really a bunch of stuff to keep the oil in suspension if it doesn't creep I can't see what'd be bad about using it.

My experience with it is all positive to date the only potential problem is grease of any kind tends to pick up particulates and unless completely cleaned and reapplied regularly turns it into a lapping compound. But this is a different issue altogether.

Funny sig, BTW.

Tnx,
Pete

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
I'm a biochem major, so... :lol:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cooter said:
I use slip 2000 on everything.
After researching this stuff on arfcom, m4carbine.net, midway, etc. I bought a bunch of it along with some of their degreaser.

No teflon, no silicone, no petroleum distillates, fully synthetic, has NSNs assigned, shipping to the .mil guys in the sandboxes - good enough for me. Buh-bye CLP.

And their Thumb Buddy for those w/FLGR 1911s, like me, who are sick and tired of searching for that &%^# spring retainer - too kewl. Got one too.

Thanks guys! Y'all really, really helped. A lot. My ARs thank you, too. :D

·
Registered
21,553 Posts
JoeFriday said:
I use Militec-1, since that was one of the ones mentioned by FN in one of the Q&A sessions. Seems to work.
I might try that one next. I seem to have forgotten that Q&A session :oops:
I would've picked that up instead of the Tetra (as I was a newby to pistols when I got my FNP)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts