FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Not funny but scarry

- While leaving my indoor range i witnessed an older man (65+) with a younger boy (-12) enter the range. Something was odd but i couldn't put my finger on it so i watched them through the glass.
Every shot that went off the boy jumped and acted like he **** his pants.
It was then i realized they had no eye or ear protection. I notified the staff and they pulled them out. I guarantee you that his ears were ringing for weeks.

- I did not witness this thank god, but also at the same range a few days before i saw the old man and boy incident, another man rented a handgun, put a few rounds down range, then blew his brains out.
They still have not replaced the carpet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Lets revive this and ask the question…….What is the most unusual thing you all will admit to having shot up? I've found that those cheap stuffed animals from the local carnival are a hoot! I've shoot up a bunch old stale Pepsi in cans and 2 liters. They make a real splash! Past that not much more.

·
Registered
15,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I could do stuff like that - but the ranges here don't allow anything to be used for targets.

Used to enjoy shooting steel knock down targets with my handgun in the 1990s but that range closed in 1999.

·
Registered
68 Posts
In the AZ desert, one can shoot at a propane tank which is seated next to open flame( IE: Flare). Pretty big boom. Very fun, and not too much to burn since the ground is scorched at 120°F. 50 yrd distance from can is recommended.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I just hope you guys pick all that crap up when you are done shooting, nothing pisses me off more than going out to go shooting and having to haul someone elses crap outta my favorite shooting spot. The only thing I leave behind is lead.

Watched a guy at the indoor range, pull the trigger as fast as he could one day, trying to impress his friends. Put one on the target, two on the target frame, a couple in the ceiling, and then he got asked, not so politely, to put his gun in the bag and GTFO. What an idiot.

Zhur

·
Registered
68 Posts
When a propane tank explodes...not much is left. Much like lead in the ground :). But..good concern as well, no one likes to play mother.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Milk jugs and 2 liters filled with water and the most lurid food coloring you can find. Fun and you can still recycle the emptys

·
Registered
16 Posts
The FOP used to own a range in town, so we went when ever and never had to worry with crowds or weirdos. A guy on a sister sift always went and brought his newest pistol. No names but for the sake of this we'll call him Andrew. Little history on this guy, he loved guns and shooting his guns but didn't always make the wisest decisions on "sound purchases." Anyway he shows up with a chrome/polished bare metal (I don't remember which) Talon 9mm. It's got all the bells and whistles, a little orange plastic piece sticking out the back to let you know when it's charged, orange paint (which looked like it had been put on with a Q-tip) sights. A real jem. First shot fired: the orange thing shoots out the back of it, the slide goes all the way back and then falls off to the right, the magazine shoots out the bottom of it along with a bunch of little springs and other metal pieces.

We all stand in silence until Andrews turns around in shock, bends down and picks up some of the pieces (the bigger stuff) and walks back to the benches. This, ofcourse, is followed by us all laughing. I almost, and I say almost, gave him the seventy-five dollars he paid for it as an entertainment fee.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fun/funny things to shoot? Well, this year I planted a double batch of pumpkins :)

Be nice if I could get them to grow on the off-side of the berm at the range, make pickin' 'em and movin' 'em to target position a lot easier.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Back when I was really into Cowboy action Shooting, I was out shooting steel. I also used to do fast draw, not that the two are the same in any way of course, but I'd just reloaded my 45LC pistol and was talking with my brother about hitting on the draw. A butterfly started fluttering by, and I was just kidding but said.. "I can hit that butterfly, no problem". So of course he called me out. I drew and fired from the hip (down range of course) and the two wings went fluttering to the ground. Pure luck but we had one hell of a laugh about it.

Zhur

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've seen a few father and son teams just empty clip after clip with no regard for hitting anything. The targets would look like they were hit with bird shot.
Nothing else crazy.

When I can get over to my friends land, we usually shoot at jugs or put clays in the dirt. Recently my g/f was getting rid of her old laptop and was afraid of someone accessing the hard drive to steal her identity. Some .45acp and 12ga 00 later the hard drive was only a memory.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Now that I think more about it, I've seen plenty of fun stuff. Over in the Valley, they have an annual dynomite shoot. Basically they wrap a 1/4 stick in tinfoil and put them out at 400-600-800-1000 yards. it's $5 per 3 shots, winner takes the pot for that range. Get to see all the people bring out their 50's. That's worth the 40 mile drive in and of itself. Have only seen one person hit the 1000 yard stick, but even at that range, the shock wave is impressive. The ones closer up will make your chest hurt a little when they go off. Not sure if it's real dynomite, or that binary stuff, but it's still pretty darn cool to see.

Zhur

1 - 18 of 18 Posts