FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I will be purchasing a PS 90 in the next couple of months and would like a little advice from anyone who has one. I have been reading the forum for a couple of months and have gained considerable knowledge about the weapon. However, I just do not have the time to test all the options open to PS9 owners for accessories etc. Thus, I would like to ask owners to help me decide on how best to equip my new toy. So far on the forum I have yet to see a comprehensive question posed on accessories etc. I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Here we go................

First, Tri-Rail versus the stock sight? While I will take the old sight off since it has almost universal disdain, what it the best course of action. Take it off and install after market rails, and if so which one/ones do you think are best, especially for easy installation and clearance for top rail accessories. Or, is the tri-rail sufficient with the proper side rails. This is the big question. I would like to do any installation myself.

Second, I plan on mounting an EOTech on the top and a flashlight on one side and a laser on the other. Any suggestions for the laser and flashlights? I intend on using it for the most part as a home defense weapon—other than just having fun on the range.

Third, what is your preferred ammunition for the PS 90? I plan on purchasing a large quantity once I get my PS90 and fully accessorized.

Fourth, slings—one, two, three point slings. Help !

Fifth, anything else I should know before I take the plunge???

Thanks a lot for the help, getting advice form actual owners will make my choices much easier.

·
Vendor
5,808 Posts
:) Welcome spud doc.

First off, The white Ring Sight now has a fix. This may affect your decision in purchasing it. I actually love it now and think it equal or dare I say superior to the black Ring Sight.
Check this out.
http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=2895&sid=ab43c0a57714cea6e743ea0fd25914a3

If you are set on purchasing an Eotech then I would go with the Tri-Rail model. Tanners have them for $1150.00.
The contact info for Tanner's.
215-343-3103
http://www.tannerssportcenter.com/

I can't suggest any laser or light since I have cheap ones on mine to tide me over.

third. I'd go with the ss195. Faster and more accurate at longer distances.

fourth. I like the 1 point sling. I can easily switch from right solder to left solder. go to urban E.R.T. sling
http://www.urbanertslings.com/

Good luck. This rifle is my all time favorite!!!!!

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
Spud Doc said:
Hi everyone,

I will be purchasing a PS 90 in the next couple of months and would like a little advice from anyone who has one. I have been reading the forum for a couple of months and have gained considerable knowledge about the weapon. However, I just do not have the time to test all the options open to PS9 owners for accessories etc. Thus, I would like to ask owners to help me decide on how best to equip my new toy. So far on the forum I have yet to see a comprehensive question posed on accessories etc. I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Here we go................

First, Tri-Rail versus the stock sight? While I will take the old sight off since it has almost universal disdain, what it the best course of action. Take it off and install after market rails, and if so which one/ones do you think are best, especially for easy installation and clearance for top rail accessories. Or, is the tri-rail sufficient with the proper side rails. This is the big question. I would like to do any installation myself.

Second, I plan on mounting an EOTech on the top and a flashlight on one side and a laser on the other. Any suggestions for the laser and flashlights? I intend on using it for the most part as a home defense weapon—other than just having fun on the range.

Third, what is your preferred ammunition for the PS 90? I plan on purchasing a large quantity once I get my PS90 and fully accessorized.

Fourth, slings—one, two, three point slings. Help !

Fifth, anything else I should know before I take the plunge???

Thanks a lot for the help, getting advice form actual owners will make my choices much easier.
First - I tried two PS90s before I got mine. One of them was shot in the evening - and I couldn't see the site at all. One was in the briht afternoon, and it wasn't bad. I also got to see an Eotech mounted on an M4 at the same time, and I made up my mind right there I wanted an EOtech. The tr-irail version was not out at the time, however.

Personally, even if I was to go buy one tomorrow - I'd buy the standard version. That 1/4" inch height difference between the tri rail and the standard PS90 is irrelevant in my opinion. U are not shooting a PS90 at 200+ yards. I don't notice any difference shot group wise between my EOtech and the stock sight - so the added height of the EOtech doesn't make much difference for what this weapon is.

With the stock version, U can buy aftermarket side rails and an aftermarket optic rail. We have sponsors here that sell them pretty cheap too. There were not as many options out last Dec, so I had to pay more for these rails. But, the stock optic comes right off with an allenwrench. And, depending on who you order your rails from, they typically include the size allen wrench you will need. It takes 5 min t take the stock sight off and install the rail.

With the stock PS90, U can have longer side rails (I havethe extended length ones from Magazine Parts - as I like the way they look. Plus, if you ever wanted to take your eotech and put it on something else - at least you could put the stock sight on and still have a usuable gun. U don't with the tri-rail.

Plus, the REM2 will be released soon (one of our sponsors here is making it). It will be an attachable LED light that may make the stock sight work better. I am looking forward to getting my hands on one. I don't know that I will take my eotech off even if I like it - at least not now. But I may eventually if I ever get another rifle and don't want to buy another Eotech.

There is also a potential issue with the tri-rail model and EOtechs - using the siderails. However, Crit Dimensions claims that he will be releasing a product soon that will solve this issue.

Flashlight/laser? - Well, I ran out and did this right away too. I put the laser on the outside and the light on the inside. U can read my review of the BSA lasr I bought in the Product Review. It was $30, and still works great. The recoil on the PS90 is low - so this works just fine, IMHO. But, when I had my Scorpion light on the inside, the bulb in the light would start to vibrate out of the flashlight head as I walked up and down the range with the PS90 - to check my targets. I finally took the light off of that side. It also was not comfortable to have the light beat against me as I walked. It is common to start off with a lot of gear strapped to the PS90 - but once U start to use it, U dfind what is comfortable and what isn't.

I ended up removing the laser for now - and I mounted a different flashlight on the outside of the gun.I had a Brinkman light anyway, so I used it. It is a $20 xenon bulb light from wal-mart. It is about as bright as the $35 Scorpion light from Streamlight. It also is 1" in diameter (the scorpion was smaller), so I was able to buy some cheap scope rings at Wal-Mart and mount it. I think it looks better with the scope rings than with that plastic Fobus mount that I ended up getting rid of (read my review of the FOBUS light mount in the product review subforum - you DO NOT want one).

Now, I only have the light mounted on the outside of the gun, and it is VERY comfortable to vcarry when hanging on the sling.

Sling - U want the 2 point sling from URBAN ERT - I love this sling - I had the single point version - but he later released the 2 point PS90 sling. I got the conversion pieces and turned it into the 2 point. Great sling!

What else should U know - do the velcro mod before U shoot it for the first time.

As for ammo - only 2 types really. 197 and 195. I actually prefer the 197. I think it makes a better self defense round - it mushrooms better. I started out thinking the 195 was better, but I've changed my opinion. The 195 does penetrate better, but the 197 makes a bigger hole. Also, the 197 is a tiny bit cleaner. And, while I personally can't confirm it, a couple of guys say that the higher pressure 195 has created a bulge inside of their PS90 barrels. Of course, they say that they have fired a lot of it.

·
Banned
328 Posts
I did the $20 Walmart light and scope ring combo as well. I think the brand was Brinkman. It has a rubber outer shell that makes it the perfect diameter of a set of scope rings. The rings are $6.00 or so aluminum ones. Get the type with the big fat thumbscrews for the rail mount. The ones with the little side plate and phillips head screw are no good.

As for the rest - I have the USG(black) sight, a 1 point sling and 197 ammo.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
kanthek said:
I did the $20 Walmart light and scope ring combo as well. I think the brand was Brinkman. It has a rubber outer shell that makes it the perfect diameter of a set of scope rings. The rings are $6.00 or so aluminum ones. Get the type with the big fat thumbscrews for the rail mount. The ones with the little side plate and phillips head screw are no good.

As for the rest - I have the USG(black) sight, a 1 point sling and 197 ammo.
Yep, that's the light I have. And, the same rings probably...

·
Registered
12 Posts
see the photo I posted here
http://fnforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=3546
I opted for the tri rail mounted a good red dot- a cMore and cheapo laser and flash lights.

I bought this a few months back when tri rail in black color was new and ended up spending more. The base tri rail was even more expensive than the green one with standard optics.

Tony

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have a couple of PS90's w/Eotechs & MagazineParts optics rails. My only concern (and this may be a problem only in my mind) is that the optics rail is secured only by 2 smallish screws. I don't know how much of an impact would be required to shear/break one or both screws. In that aspect the TR would be more rugged but lacks the BUIS of the std version (poor as they are). If I could do it over again knowing what I know I *might* opt for the TR.
I use the TLR-1 taclight & Laserex P90 internal laser but am not 100% satisifed w/the switch location of the laser (it can be mounted in other locations, something I was unaware of when I had them installed). What I like about the Laserex laser is that it mounts the emitter directly below & close to the bbl minimizing parallax & the rest of the laser is installed inside the body of the PS90. However, you're looking at around $400 for the laser & a quality install. If I could do it all over again I'd probably opt for the TLR-2 light/laser combo for much less $$$ and live w/the parallax. The only thing I don't like about the TLR-series is that the tapeswitch seems to require more pressure than I'd prefer (YMMV) but that could also be seen as a positive to prevent inadvertant activation.
Another vote for SS197, I prefer the heavier/expanding bullet & it has no muzzle flash from the PS90.
Slings are very much a personal preference thing, I prefer a single point w/detachable stub so I can connect it directly to my vest or to a crosschest harness w/o having to change anything on the PS90.
HTH, keep us posted!...
Tomac

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sling: I am one of the very few, who like the FN sling. I love the adjustability and utility of it. It is comfortable and practical. I don't mind that it attaches to the barrel, because FN designed it that way. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Laser & Tac Light Suggestions

Hi Spud,

I purchased this UTG red laser sight and it is extremely small, compared to most others, and does not get in the way when mounted on the left side of my Tri-rail. It's very rugged, compact, and inexpensive ($29), and comes with a low-profile mount and both a push-button and pressure switch activator:

http://www.m1surplus.com/utg laser sight lpscpls168.htm

I also purchased my tactical light setup from M1Surplus and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and brightness of the light itself, considering it is less than 5" long. It's made by NcStar and also comes with batteries, mount, momentary on-off switch and pressure switch, all for $29:

http://www.m1surplus.com/tactical weapons light system ncstar.htm

Good shooting...

:-x

·
Registered
225 Posts
dont be so quick to count out the stock sight. just becaus ealot of people say its garbage doesnt mean it is, especialy with all PS90s goming with the black reticule now and the new REM2.

but if you allready plan on using aftermarket optics, why bother, just go with the Tri-Rail. the sid e rails are short but you can still manage to mount stuff to them.

·
Banned
2,293 Posts
Get the tri-rail
Get the tri-rail. I am always surprised that guys want to "marry" a sight on a weapon.....when the have the option for a rail and change the sight as time progresses. I mean look at the changes in holographics in the last 10 years alone.....I am certain there will be changes in the future...I want the option to upgrade.

Don't buy everything now
Get the weapon in your hands first and purchase "thought through" accessories over time. Don't try to get everything all at once. Your understanding of the system and your options will change once you hold YOUR OWN WEAPON and fire it. Trust me, what I THOUGHT I wanted and what actually worked for me has been differnt for every firearm I have ever purchased.

Comfort/Portability
I thought I wanted SG-1 laser and light on each of the side rails....till I attached one of my Surefire lasers on the side and it kept poking me in the chest and getting caught on everything. The added weight also changed the nature of the rifle...I soon learned that as an owner with this weapon system comfort and convenience were MUCH more important and functional than Samantha Carter's configuration.

Trust me, get your hands on the rifle FIRST, then think it through.

·
Registered
15,559 Posts
ick said:
Get the tri-rail.
We all have our prefences. As I stated on the last page of this thread - I still prefer the regular model with an aftermrket rail setup.

I agree with ya on attaching all sorts of stuff to the side rails. I did the same thing. Laser on 1 side anda flashlight on the other. Now, I leave the inside rail empty. I too got tired of constantly being poked by the flashlight on the inside rail.

·
Vendor
5,808 Posts
" I too got tired of constantly being poked by the flashlight on the inside rail."

I have a laser on the inside rail and I don't feel a thing through my "VestGuy' vest and especially when I wear my class 3A Vest. :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts