FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I found this mildly interesting. I acquired an extra barrel for my basically brand new, Belgian SCAR around the time when the Mk2 surfaced. The barrel also happens to be Belgian and apparently, a Mk2. Anyway, thought you might find these minor aesthetic differences interesting. Might have nothing to with it being a Mk2, and more so just to do with it being new Belgian production. No clue. But, here are some pictures.

In summary, if this sample size of one is any indication, then the Mk2's parts are more closely colourmatched (blueish graphite like the mags) than the Mk1 (grey) and the FN product photos are actually a pretty accurate representation of the final product (from Belgium). Trash bag for contrast.

Finally, how do I properly put this barrel into long term storage???? It came wrapped in plastic wrap. Can I do that again?

Automotive tire Household hardware Gas Suspension Font

Product Automotive tire Camera lens Reflex camera Camera accessory

Automotive tire Camera accessory Microphone Audio equipment Automotive design

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Tire

Mk1 - More grey, shades of black/grey

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Shotgun

Mk2 - More blue (like the colour of the mags), maybe better colourmatched.

Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
Yeah, hit it with some CLP, and drag a wet (CLP) bore-snake through it, tuck it back in the plastic bag and it'll keep nicely.

Kind of off-topic, kind of not...I notice on the pic of the MK2 that it still has the old style gas selector. I ordered a few from MGW and received the new "low flash" version...which seems to be the standard now.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, hit it with some CLP, and drag a wet (CLP) bore-snake through it, tuck it back in the plastic bag and it'll keep nicely.

Kind of off-topic, kind of not...I notice on the pic of the MK2 that it still has the old style gas selector. I ordered a few from MGW and received the new "low flash" version...which seems to be the standard now.
I guess that’s a non-Euro/American thing? In the product photos for the Mk2, none of the photos have the 20S gas regulator. That’s the one you’re talking about, correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
In the product photos for the Mk2, none of the photos have the 20S gas regulator. That’s the one you’re talking about, correct?
That's it. It's not a big deal, I only noticed it because I got them in the mail yesterday. I would just think a part like that would be standardized across the product line. But I'm often wrong and easily confused.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Maybe I'm just ignorant but what is the MK I vs MK II? I bought my first one in roughly late 2010 or early 2011 and my 2nd one in 2013. Other than the bolt lug difference I didn't know there were any other MK variations. Just curious.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Maybe I'm just ignorant but what is the MK I vs MK II? I bought my first one in roughly late 2010 or early 2011 and my 2nd one in 2013. Other than the bolt lug difference I didn't know there were any other MK variations. Just curious.
From what FN Herstal's website shows:
  • new slings loops
  • new (SCAR-SC) pistol grip
  • it's heavier (if it has a non-reciprocating charging handle assembly that might be why, but FNH's website doesn't indicate that it does have the NRCH as far as I could tell)
  • Models added/removed (+SCAR-H SB, -SCAR-L LB(16"))
Seems FNH and FNA are making two different SCARs all together now.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
If I understand correctly (always a big IF)...the MK 2 is latest military version of the SCAR line. It has the non-reciprocating CH, a new grip and reinforced sling mounts. We civilians get the NRCH version which doesn't seem to include the latter features.

EDIT: I also can't see that the website explicitly says the MK 2 has the NRCH. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
From what FN Herstal's website shows:
  • new slings loops
  • new (SCAR-SC) pistol grip
  • it's heavier (if it has a non-reciprocating charging handle assembly that might be why, but FNH's website doesn't indicate that it does have the NRCH asm as far as I could tell)
  • Models added/removed (+SCAR-H SB, -SCAR-L LB(16"))
Seems FNH and FNA are making two different SCARs all together now.
Oh, gotcha. The brand new non-reciprocating one is the MK II. Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If I understand correctly (always a big IF)...the MK 2 is latest military version of the SCAR line. It has the non-reciprocating CH, a new grip and reinforced sling mounts. We civilians get the NRCH version which doesn't seem to include the latter features.

EDIT: I also can't see that the website explicitly says the MK 2 has the NRCH. It's hard to tell from the pictures.

And FNH does state when it has a NRCH. So, the fact that the Mk2 doesn't explicitly state it makes it seem to me as they don't have one. For reference, SCAR-SC.
Product Air gun Trigger Machine gun Font

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, gotcha. The brand new non-reciprocating one is the MK II. Thanks.
Not quite. The honest answer is no one seems to be sure on the details of Mk2 SCAR. If you look at the FNA NRCH vs. FNH Mk2, they don't look the same at all. They seem to be divergent products in the SCAR line between Belgium and America.

The FNA NRCH is closer to the older SCAR and Mk2 is closer to the SCAR-SC.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
I think the only real solution is for FN to send me one of each model so that I may verify, first hand, the differences. I shall now now sit by my front door and await their arrival.

Seriously though, whatever the differences, the thought of an NRCH 17S has really grown on me. It won't happen anytime soon...but the planning stage has begun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the only real solution is for FN to send me one of each model so that I may verify, first hand, the differences. I shall now now sit by my front door and await their arrival.

Seriously though, whatever the differences, the thought of an NRCH 17S has really grown on me. It won't happen anytime soon...but the planning stage has begun.
There's something so satisfying about see the RCH move though! The SCAR-SC is the next one on my wish list. Already costed it out and it's more than the 17! Unless HK brings the V5 433, then I have to rethink my plans...

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts
There's something so satisfying about see the RCH move though!
I have no intention of getting rid of, or upgrading my current SCARs. The NRCH will be an addition, not a replacement.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To be clear: The NRCH is now the standard in all Belgium made SCAR MK2 (it's very easy to tell by pics at FNH site - just look at the cut at the slot for the NRCH). Belgium made SCAR MK2 also has various other improvements/upgrades. If I'm going to be blunt about it, the SCAR we're getting from FN America (both for civis and military) are neutered and not of the same standard as Belgian made SCAR.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts