FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the Tactical!

Out of curiosity, what are the steps to own a handgun in Australia?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
G'day to you too and welcome to the Forum Gerry! :) Congrats on your FNX-45t! :? As akitainu inquired, how does one acquire a "tactical" handgun in the land down under? :icon_cool:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your FNXT!:?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I threaded barrel pistol in Australia! I thought I felt a disturbance in the force. Well congratulations man. Perhaps Australia is growing up. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
G.Day Guys,and thanks for the welcome.
Its not easy getting .45 acp Pistols unles you are a member of a club that are allowed to use them on Silhouette targets.
I belong to two clubs.
One only allows the use of Lead or Hollow Point.
The other, anything as long as it does not contain a steel projectile.
Which means that i have to load my own which i like anyway.
I did manage to obtain a Laser Dot sight to fit the Tactical from China.
It only cost $50AU postage free and came complete with three different mounting units,one fits the FNX.
I have not fitted it yet as i am still in the process of running the FNX in and trying out different loads that wont jam.
Gerry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
G.Day akitainu.
It has become very difficult to obtain a Pistol in Australia.
The first thing is to get recommended and join a local club.
Follow their rules to enable you to obtain a License from the Police which is becoming more difficult due to their not wanting firearms in the hands of Citizens.
You not only have to be squeaky clean,live in a suitable area and have the right security,safes etc.
If you comply and are lucky a year wiil pass before you will be accepted and issued with a license.
But it does not end there,you now have to obtain a written note from your club stating that you a paid up member and recommended to obtain a firearm of what ever calibre is chosen.
Then you select a pistol from whoever or registered gun dealer who will sign the application form and send to the local firearms branch who do their thing and if you are lucky after about 28 days will arrive.
You now go to the person who is selling you the unit and if it is a private sale then you both have to go to who ever is licensed to transfer (local police station will do at certain times)
You will get an unannounced visit from the local firearms branch who will inspect your security and all arms,knives etc and make sure that every thing is secure.
Firearms in a suitable metat safe which has to be bolted to a suitable concrete floor or wall,Pistols in one safe and Rifles and shotguns in another.
Amunition in another safe.
Powder and primers in suitable locked container.
This is a brief account of what you are in for as the law keeps changing also there is a different approrch in the different states.
Gerrl

·
Premium Member
9,527 Posts
G.Day akitainu.
It has become very difficult to obtain a Pistol in Australia.
The first thing is to get recommended and join a local club.
Follow their rules to enable you to obtain a License from the Police which is becoming more difficult due to their not wanting firearms in the hands of Citizens.
You not only have to be squeaky clean,live in a suitable area and have the right security,safes etc.
If you comply and are lucky a year wiil pass before you will be accepted and issued with a license.
But it does not end there,you now have to obtain a written note from your club stating that you a paid up member and recommended to obtain a firearm of what ever calibre is chosen.
Then you select a pistol from whoever or registered gun dealer who will sign the application form and send to the local firearms branch who do their thing and if you are lucky after about 28 days will arrive.
You now go to the person who is selling you the unit and if it is a private sale then you both have to go to who ever is licensed to transfer (local police station will do at certain times)
You will get an unannounced visit from the local firearms branch who will inspect your security and all arms,knives etc and make sure that every thing is secure.
Firearms in a suitable metat safe which has to be bolted to a suitable concrete floor or wall,Pistols in one safe and Rifles and shotguns in another.
Amunition in another safe.
Powder and primers in suitable locked container.
This is a brief account of what you are in for as the law keeps changing also there is a different approrch in the different states.
Gerrl
Wow...difficult, indeed. Thanks for the info. Just for comparison, my wife is picking up a new pistol today. The whole thing will take about 30 minutes...of course, that's with travel time included.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on your Tac, I think you will find it to be a great handgun. Sorry to hear about all the bull-sh!t it took you to obtain it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
G,Day Each and thanks to everyone who welcomed me into your group.
Well i finally got the .45 into my hands after waiting 3 Months from purchase date.
Here in OZ we have tight restrictions on purchase of Firearms.
First you have to obtain written permission to use what ever caliber firearm you wish to purchase.
This is inkeeping with the range rules as to what can be used,at what type of targets and distance etc.
To obtain a .45 ACP the range has to be passed for Center Fire Metal Silhouette.
Then you make purchase to your choice.
You then fill in the application form and deposit it with the Police Firearms Branch.
They will make you wait at least 28 days even if you are the holder of similar firearms.
When the form is returned as passed you now have to relinquish your purchase from the dealer.
In my case the dealer was in Queensland so i have to send him $49 in order that he will Post it to a Dealer in South Australia.
I then go to this dealer and hand over $100 and take delivery.
Now i go to my local Police Station with my purchase and hand over $27 so that they can register it.
This took about three months form the purchase to holding the .45.
I think that i am the only one at this moment in time to have a Tactical FNX .45 in Australia.
Now comes the fun.
Having also purchased a suitable Laser Dot Sight from China for less than $50au i fitted it to the FNX and it worked perfectly.
I noticed that was engraved on one side as to being 'Made in USA'
Fault no 1 raised its head,it did not switch off when the cover was placed over it,so would run the battery down.
Fault no 2 gave problems to the Magazines supplied (to load no more than 10 rounds ,Australian ruling) but if the rounds were dead length then they would bind in the Magazine causing problems in feeding.
I have to seat the bullets about 10-15thou down into the case then all is ok
Not necessary a fault but is concerning that it will only feed round nosed ammo.
I have conical bullets that operate perfectly in my 1911.
One other problem that i come up against is the feeding of rounds in the Magazine.
Maybe i am getting old and feeble but after managing to get 5 rounds in any more fail me.
I purchased a Magloader from the USA and it works fine.
Now comes the part where i try out different loads that will suit the FNX,me and the targets.
Loading 230gn bullets with Red Dot propellent i found that 3.7gns of RedDot gave the most accurate load but alas did not always give full power needed for the slide to operate fully.
But than i must remember that the rounds were full length that also gave me problems,i will have to reset this batch of ammo to a shorter length and try again.
GERRY

1 - 18 of 18 Posts