FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Everyone seems to love the GAP10. There is still an 8 month to 1 year waiting list to get one. I got mine about 8 months ago and am not really blown away to be honest. It has been sent back to the GA Precision twice for feeding issues. I know every manufacturers can't be 100%, but that kind of pissed me off. Especially, when they tried to say it was my fault and didn't take care of it the first time. The other big negative with GAP10 is the weight. It's a tank and I wouldn't really want to be humping it around anywhere. Also, the charging handle hits the Magpul PRS butt stock, which sticks and becomes a pain. As a result of my experience with GAP10, I don't have a heap of confidence in the reliability of the AR10 platform.

I would prefer a Scar Mk 20, but of course they are not out yet (even though it was announced at Shot Show). When I call FN they say it may never come out.

That leaves me with the option of making my own or buying one from High Desert Dog (which has very mixed reviews on this forum).

I would like to test the GAP10 and the Scar side-by-side. GA precision boasts the GAP10 is guaranteed to do at least 1/2 MOA. I have a feeling that will the right barrel, the Scar would win overall.

Any thoughts?

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: MK 20 SSR

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey guys. Everyone seems to love the GAP10. There is still an 8 month to 1 year waiting list to get one. I got mine about 8 months ago and am not really blown away to be honest. It has been sent back to the GA Precision twice for feeding issues. I know every manufacturers can't be 100%, but that kind of pissed me off. Especially, when they tried to say it was my fault and didn't take care of it the first time. The other big negative with GAP10 is the weight. It's a tank and I wouldn't really want to be humping it around anywhere. Also, the charging handle hits the Magpul PRS butt stock, which sticks and becomes a pain. As a result of my experience with GAP10, I don't have a heap of confidence in the reliability of the AR10 platform.

I would prefer a Scar Mk 20, but of course they are not out yet (even though it was announced at Shot Show). When I call FN they say it may never come out.

That leaves me with the option of making my own or buying one from High Desert Dog (which has very mixed reviews on this forum).

I would like to test the GAP10 and the Scar side-by-side. GA precision boasts the GAP10 is guaranteed to do at least 1/2 MOA. I have a feeling that will the right barrel, the Scar would win overall.

Any thoughts?

FNH USA - Distinct Advantage :: MK 20 SSR
As you correctly point out, nobody yet has a Mk20. So how do you expect anyone to compare the Gap10 to the Mk20, especially when it comes to accuracy?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I would imagine a DI system would be inherently more accurate over a piston such as the mk20. I can see the mk20 being sub moa accurate but put against a 1/2 moa rifle it may or may not be more accurate

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As you correctly point out, nobody yet has a Mk20. So how do you expect anyone to compare the Gap10 to the Mk20, especially when it comes to accuracy?
No I meant, Gap 20 vs. "making my own or buying one from High Desert Dog"

Has anybody shot the High Desert Dog one?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I am probably one of the only (active) people on FNF to have shot the HDD barrel. It's sub-MOA, but definitely not sub-1/2MOA unless I'm the one who's screwing up. Then again I don't think HDD promised 1/2MOA anyway. My barrel had quality issues, not so much the barrel itself but rather the barrel extension (trunnion). These issues have been addressed by HDD and the thing is now shooting fine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am waiting for the CSR or Mk20. FN has repeatedly said it is coming out at the Shot Shows and they said later this year or early next year. They came out with the SCAR and going to come out with a semi-auto M249. I would have a little patience and see if they actually come out with it. It will be worth it I think!

Reactions: Hoax001

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am probably one of the only (active) people on FNF to have shot the HDD barrel. It's sub-MOA, but definitely not sub-1/2MOA unless I'm the one who's screwing up. Then again I don't think HDD promised 1/2MOA anyway. My barrel had quality issues, not so much the barrel itself but rather the barrel extension (trunnion). These issues have been addressed by HDD and the thing is now shooting fine.
What ammo are you using in your HDD? Which barrel do you have? I have an 18"

·
Registered
362 Posts
FN is saying they are coming out with both. I think this is a case of disconnect with their customer service department. Since its not out yet they haven't been trained on it so they know squat. Glock is awesome at this. I'll ask about a product that is already out and they'll tell me it doesn't exist. I'm holding it damn it!!!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Isn't the CSR20 still a 16" barrel, though with the longer upper receiver and 6 screw barrel extension? It ought to be accurate, but I'd prefer a 20" barrel that is OEM and works with my existing 17S.

·
Registered
362 Posts
The CSR20 is the 16" barrel version of the Mk20 yes. Supposed to be just as accurate but you're not getting the extra velocity from the extra 4". The barrel is also a heavier profile stainless match barrel compared to a thinner profile barrel in the 17S. So its not just the extra barrel screws...

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The CSR20 is the 16" barrel version of the Mk20 yes. Supposed to be just as accurate but you're not getting the extra velocity from the extra 4". The barrel is also a heavier profile stainless match barrel compared to a thinner profile barrel in the 17S. So its not just the extra barrel screws...
Stainless? Are you sure about that? Hard to imagine FNH switching to such a soft and unworthy material(from an NDT standpoint) in such a rugged platform when even their SPRs are hammer forged and chrome lined.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are the any SF guys on this forum who have used the real MK20 SSR out in the field? If so, what kind of accuracy are we talking? sub 1"?

·
Registered
362 Posts
My bad, it looks like the barrel is NOT stainless. Still CHF, chrome lined and you wouldn't chrome line a stainless so my bad!

According to FN the 20" barrel is supposed to be 0.5moa out to 1000 yards but then I heard that the troops aren't seeing that so no idea what the real story is.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts