FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new FNH SLP Mark 1 a few months ago.
1 1/2 ounce shells cycled fine.
1 oz failed to cycle every time.
I then looked in the manual and it said there were 2 gas pistons. One on the shotgun and one packed. My friend mentioned the Red piston for low loads and the black one for larger.

My new gun has a gold piston.
I asked at FNH at the Shot Show if the the gun still came with 2 pistons. They said yes.
The dealer said they ship the gun without even opening in the original box from FN so nothing was removed.
It appears that FN put in a new single piston for both light and heavy duty and does not work.

Any comments would be appreciated...

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had a similar issue with the lite piston until I broke the gun in. Now the gun cycles low recoil without issues and is a real pleasure to shoot. The process was to first clean the gun very well, lube with Slick 2000, and leave the bolt locked open for at least a week. After this process the gun worked perfect.

hope this helps.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Welcome!!! :)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
367 Posts
The official FNH update is here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I called FNH customer service. They said the there could be a number of issues regarding failure to cycle. First, the gun was meant to be shoot shells with a DRAM of OVER 3. Then, the magazine tube should be totally dry. They said the single piston should be just fine. Also the shorter the barrel (mine is 22 Inches) the tougher. I also have a 28 inch barrel also and they said the longer the barrel, the lighter shells will work. 1 1/8 should be OK with the long barrel.
An interesting note....the 22 inch barrel uses inventor choke tubes. The 28 inch barrel uses inventor plus. They are not interchangeable. Check on the side of the barrel for choke tube size. My SLP is brand new and uses the old choke tubes....How silly....:cool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Snowbird

I just purchased my SLP MK I not long ago I was looking for the extra gas piston as well and then when I was flipping through the manual a leaflet fell out explaining that the newer SLP's ship with only one gas piston (gold) as this replaces both the black and the red so only one piston is needed now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I called FNH. They said keep it clean and use shells with a higher dram rating than the 1 1/8th load that I have been shooting. They also said the 28inch barrel will cycle better. They also said this is a tactical shotgun so the low load was really not in the planning.
They use to send 2 gas tubes. One for low load and one for higher loads. Now they use only one gas piston.(Gold Piston) They say the new gold piston has a wider range and covers both low and high loads.
I think this is a poor response and limits the usage of the SLP.
Solution:
As a solution, I sent my gas tube to "SureCycle" and they sealed the gas tube. For about $50 modification, the gun now cycles properly. I shot a box of 1 oz #6 shells and it now works with everything. I hope FNH sees this solution and uses their good judgement to modify their gas tube to work properly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just received my new FNH SLP today and it came with two pistons, both gold. The one in the gun is marked for 1 1/2, the other is unmarked.

A supplement to the manual is enclosed and reads:

FNH USA has recently updated the Piston Springs in the SLP shotguns. To help identify the new springs, different colord rims are installed on the pistons. The new pistons are identified with a gold rim on its base and either no markings or some markings, as described in your SLP Owner's Manual.

Note that in Section 2, page 3 and in Section 10, page 18 of your SLP Owner';s Manual, it references two pistons, one red for light loads and one black for heavy loads. These have been replaced by Gold Rimmed pistons. The piston for light loads, less than 1 1/2 oz, is installed in your SLP from the factory. It is marked, "FN SLP Less than 1 1/2 oz." The piston for heavy loads is included in the shipping case, it is intended for loads heavier than 1 1/2 oz. It is not marked.

Models affected: SLP (3088929010, 3088929011) and SLP Tactical ( 3088929145, 3088929146).

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1.855.536.4872 or by email at [email protected]

FNH-SLP-130909.v4

This will be my 2nd SLP. My first was purchased in '09 and ran like a champ with the (2) different colored pistons of the earlier versions. Traded it off in an act of foolishness and immediately regretted it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Per FNH.....The gold piston has a wider range than the old black and red. I was told by FNH that I should make sure of a few things.
Do not lube anywhere near the piston. Use a larger load to properly cycle rounds. They said the 1 1/8 load could be larger. they said the 28inch barrel will create more pressure and cycle easier.
I put a few hundred rounds thru the rifle and it made no difference. Lack of cycling with 1 1/8 load consistently.
I sent my gas piston to SURECYCLE for adjustment. They said they have done a large amount of fixes for this shotgun. They seal the piston for about $40 or so and say it will fix the problem.
Results are perfect. It now cycles with the 22 inch barrel and 1 oz load.

Too bad FNH could not figure this out without having customers go to a 3rd party for a fix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts