FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

You’ve heard me say it before. If there’s one complaint I have about the otherwise excellent SCAR series rifles, it’s the charging handle. In this day and age, to have a gun with a reciprocating charging handle for purposes other than nostalgia is lazy design work. Thankfully there are industrious companies like GG&G out there who see the opportunity to improve on an existing design and make a little money for themselves in the process. Enter GG&G’s latest creation, the SCAR Non-Reciprocating Charging Mechanism . . .

GG&G’s device (I’m not typing that whole name out every time) is a bolt-on addition to any SCAR series rifle that gives you a non-reciprocating charging handle without any destructive modifications. In other words there’s no cutting or milling to do in order to get the thing to fit, and if you want to put your rifle back into factory configuration, it’s a snap.

The mechanism bolts in place using two clamps that attach to the Picatinny rail that runs across the top of the gun, and the charging handle interfaces with the bolt using a specially designed cross-piece that goes where the charging handle normally would fit. The handle you see in the picture above catches that pin and uses it to move the bolt backwards, but once the handle is locked forwards the bolt moves freely without any movement of the handle. It’s a good design for an aftermarket part, and it works really well.

I took the modified rifle to the range, loaded up a magazine, stuck my hand directly behind the charging handle and started blasting away. It was perfect: the handle didn’t move a fraction of an inch. In short, it works. But while it fixes one problem, it creates two more.

Read more: Gear Review: GG&G SCAR Non-Reciprocating Charging Mechanism | The Truth About Guns

·
Premium Member
9,490 Posts

·
Registered
21,554 Posts
In this day and age, to have a gun with a reciprocating charging handle for purposes other than nostalgia is lazy design work.
Well, FN has and did design a non-recip charging handle version, but SOCOM wanted a reciprocating one, so that's what they went with (it does make it a little simpler to).

I'd still like to see FN release the FNAC in a semi-auto variant to civies

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Cool review, thanks. You don't mention whether it's ambidextrous. I assume it isn't, but you might want to mention it in your writeup, particularly for us weirdos who shoot long guns lefty.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
By Nick Leghorn on January 8, 2014 :?
BTW this is the same guy who b:tched out the 17s in his review, listing out ludicrous cons like the reciprocating CH throwing "balance" and "symmetry" on the weapon :?:, how "heavy" the weapon is and expensive price tag.
Leghorn said:
In short, the FNH SCAR 17S is a perfectly viable solution to an existing problem for the military, but it doesn’t necessarily translate into a good firearm for civilians. It’s a cool firearm that’s fun to shoot, but save for a handful of very specific scenarios I just don’t see much of an application for it beyond that. I could see spending $500 or $1,000 on a gun just for the cool factor, but $3,000 is too much in my opinion especially when you take into account my problems with a reciprocating charging handle.
Of course the man immediately changed his tune when FNH brought him on board their shooting team.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for the review. I personally don't mind the reciprocating charging handle, Sarge's E.A.C.H. or other handle replacements seems to remedy a knuckle problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts