FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering whether someone familiar with Geissele and Timney triggers can answer this bit of curiosity: why are the Timney triggers specific to 16s and 17s while Geissele triggers are not?

Reactions: SeaMac

·
Registered
113 Posts
I could be wrong, but I belive it's due to the Timney being a self contained unit and doesn't use the OEM SCAR Hammer Spring while the Geissele does.

Edit: Yes. Per the Timney instructions, you take out the OEM Hammer Spring and set it aside. It does not get re-installed. You still use it with the Geissele.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying Joroji. I wonder if hammer spring is really the reason, because ShootingSight trigger work for both 16s and 17s but it also replaces the OEM hammer spring like Timney. You do bring up a good point about the self contained unit (which is indeed unique to Timney trigger) though.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The only difference between the Timney 16 (690) and 17 (691) is the hammer spring. You can swap them out at will and Timney will send you whichever one you lack. The 16 is supposed to have a ~3 lb trigger and the 17 ~3.5 lb.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyone have opinion on it vs the Geissele? I'm about to pull the trigger on one because I'm sick of waiting for a Geissele. F-ck me for selling the extra one I had (didn't know I was going to acquire another scar so soon at the time).

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
The trigger break is VERY good on mine. However what I don't like is that the reset feels a bit sluggish doing quick double-taps (like for 3-gun). If you're doing mostly target/bench type stuff, the Timney is awesome. If you're more of a run-n-gunner or for combat I'd personally go with the Geissele or Shooting Sight.

Here's the original discussion of my issue (it's not bad and probably wouldn't be noticed by most people).

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/57950-stupid-question-week-adjusting-overtravel-timney-scar-trigger.html

·
Registered
25,418 Posts
Cap,

When the Timney SCAR trigger was introduced, some guys experieced light primer strikes in the 7.62 guns so T offered a new model, the 691S, which incorporates the heavier tension hammer drive spring. The heavier tension drive spring increases the pull by .5lb. That's the only difference between the 690 & 691.

I've sold, shot, and installed many of the T & G triggers, and both are excellent, and both have their + & -.

Have the Timney 691S in stock @ $250 shipped if you decide to go that route.

-SS

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm a huge fan of the single stage, my buddy has the Geissele and he was sold when he shot mine. Both are great triggers. I'm happy I didn't wait for the Geissele and bought a timney.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Timney also states that the 691 also has increased hammer mass and as Sarge said .5 lb more spring tension to avoid lite primer strikes. I use Timney triggers in seven of my rifles and have never had a problem with any, some 20 yrs. old. I think they are great triggers. The one just developed for the Tavor, from my research is not so great, so I opted to wait on Art to complete his Tavor trigger :-o for mine. By the way, two more weeks right ? If I don't get it soon my finger is going to look like a bratwurst with mussels and veins. I don't get the whole battle vs bench. A bench trigger is usually less than a lb. . I want my trigger to be crisp and lite, 3 to 4 lbs. .

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've heard too many stories of Timney triggers breaking or malfunctioning... Never heard anything bad about a Giessele. I trust mil-spec triggers & Giessele triggers.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have the Geissele in both my Scar 16 and 17. I emailed them a question about the trigger in my 17 feeling a bit heavier than the trigger in my 16. Within 15 minutes Bill Geissele himself responded to my email with some things to check and try out. I followed his instructions and now the trigger in my 17 feels much better. Their products are top notch and customer service doesn't get much better than that! Another very happy Geissele customer here who will continue to support them anytime I need a trigger.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am squarely in the Geissele camp. My Super SCAR, 2xSSA-E and a SD-E have all served me well. I found what I liked and stuck with it. I plan on picking up a Sabra for my Tavor when they release it as well. I have no personal experience with Timeny triggers, so someone else will have to chime in.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts