FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help from my suppressor fn brothers in arms.

-- I have a newer model sparrow 22 can in the Nfa jail waiting for me-- it was purchased for me to use on my 57, ps90, and mosquito. It wasn't my first choice. From what I read - it would do the job well- was cross caliber and available at the time for right price.

However, I'm committed to my 57, and ps90.- - and willing to make the sacrifice -- if indeed the suppressor is superior and performance is worth it.

a friend of mine here-- sent me a link to a gem tech 57, which was my original choice for all three calibers-. It availed for sale. I'm i a position now where I have filed for stamp on the sparrow and have it at the sot.

I'm now wondering if it is worth the extra 600$ plus 200$ stamp and time to now buy this.

Does the gemtech 57 work that much better? The weight/performance is much better to work and handle? How about on both the 57 and ps90.

Please reply and share what you know, have seen or other experience. Really can't make a decision without further info.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The Gemtech works great on the FsN, PS90 SBR, and the AR-57.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If you want absolute best suppression get a 5.56 can for the PS90 and use the SS Sparrow on the FsN. As Lester said, get both. I have 2 22lr/5.7 suppressors now.

The primary advantage to the Gemtech is the thread 10x1, this can was created in 1998...suppressor technology has come a LONG way since then...but to each there own.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
The primary advantage to the Gemtech is the thread 10x1, this can was created in 1998...suppressor technology has come a LONG way since then...but to each there own.
Yep, but it was created just for the 5.7 pistol with the help and support of FN and it's still the best for the FsN.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Every suppressor will be different things to each person, even more on each firearm. Too subjective to give a 'best' information. So I say get both and you will always find use for them.:smile:

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you want absolute best suppression get a 5.56 can for the PS90 and use the SS Sparrow on the FsN. As Lester said, get both. I have 2 22lr/5.7 suppressors now.

That is my line of thought as well. I use a 5.56 can on my PS90 SBR and have .22 cans for the FiveSeven. With that said I've never seen Gemtech's can in person, let alone have a shot or owned one. If you're going to run factory ammo (supersonic) it might not be worth the expense of a second can specific to 5.7, but that's completely up to you. I have several cans in the same caliber since some are suited better for certain hosts than others. Probably not the best way to spend a buck, but if it fits your needs and makes you happy then go for it. It might also depend on what other suppressors you currently have. Do you have a 5.56 can? If you already have a .22 can, a 5.56 can could pull double duty on a PS90 SBR as well as a SCAR or AR. Just some food for thought.

·
FN Supporter
433 Posts
In my experience small cans, like the Sparrow, will work on the 5.7 but really they should have just a bit more volume. The GT 5.7 is an excellent choice and can now be had with M10x1 or 1/2-28 threads. I'd get 1/2-28 as it's a simple matter to add an adapter to use it on the 5.7 pistol and the adapter is better than going 1/2-28 to M10x1, IMO. So, bottom line, as I'm spending your money, you NEED both, no question. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Trouble, not to step on your thread but Mark can you check my SBR status? You had said it went pending in July. Hope it comes through soon!

·
Registered
876 Posts
First the Sparrow is probably one of the best .22 silencers out there. Cleaning it is super easy and that's a big deal when shooting dirty .22LR bullets. I would recommend getting something bigger for the 5.7 round. You may want to look at 556 direct thread silencers. Will work better then the Gemtech 5.7 suppressor and can be used on 556 rifles and pistols.

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
A 5.56 can would be to heavy to use on a FsN.

Reactions: Troublesx10

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
In my experience small cans, like the Sparrow, will work on the 5.7 but really they should have just a bit more volume. The GT 5.7 is an excellent choice and can now be had with M10x1 or 1/2-28 threads. I'd get 1/2-28 as it's a simple matter to add an adapter to use it on the 5.7 pistol and the adapter is better than going 1/2-28 to M10x1, IMO. So, bottom line, as I'm spending your money, you NEED both, no question. :mrgreen:
I did not realize they were making it in 1/2 28 threads from the factory now days. Why must I continue to find out about things on this site that make me want to spend all my money :mrgreen:

·
Registered
876 Posts
A 5.56 can would be to heavy to use on a FsN.
Oh my bad I meant to say use the Sparrow on the Five Seven. Yeah the 5.56 can is to heavy on the 5-7 but not the PS90. I meant to recommend getting two suppressors. Also from what I've seen and heard the Five Seven pistol doesn't get all that much sound reduction from a suppressor. It looks cool though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts