FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased (after working my wife for two years) a brand new in the box PS90.
My question is in general cleaning after firing. I do not as yet have a cleaning kit for it, and could not find a propper sized bore brush. I was thinking that a 223 bore brush might work. I was also wondering about lubricant. Im a big CLP fan for my AR, but is there anything highly recommended or prefered. Any advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks alot

DOC

·
Banned
328 Posts
.22 boresnake, breakfree CLP. Wipe everything else down with dry cloth. do not use solvent or bore cleaner. Use CLP in locations specified by manual.

run the snake through the barrel before shooting the first time if you haven't fired it yet.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
the PS90 uses .224 caliber projectiles, the same .224 projectiles for the AR-15. So a 22 caliber bore brush will work fine.

·
Registered
163 Posts
PS90 Cleaning

A .223 bore snake and break free in the spray can work fine. Follow the instructions in the manual for where to spray the solvent in the bolt. The trigger pack can be wiped off with a damp rag, as it is 95% polymer. Also, not much of the inside of the stock gets dirty, but where you see some carbon on the inside of the stock, you can use a damp rag there and then run a dry one through after. Very little of the bolt needs to be oiled, and nothing in the stock does at all. All in all the PS90 is one of if not the easiest long gun around to strip and maintain. You'll enjoy it.

Hope this helps, Gregg

·
Registered
163 Posts
Shotgunner, one thing I forgot to mention, using a boresnake vs. a cleaning rod and brush is much better for the gun. Using a cleaning rod will eventually cause excessive wear to the muzzle, the bore snake will not.

Gregg

·
Banned
26 Posts
I would highly recommend getting an otis cleaning kit not the FN one but a general or law enforcement one this works great the cleaning oil is awesome and great to use with the ps90 or any gun you use I tried it and didn't like it then I tried it again being I purchased it and have grown to love it after learning how to properly use it

·
Registered
163 Posts
General Cleaning

While I'm certainly an advocate of doing what works best for you, all I can say is a $7.99 bore snake and a $3.99 can of Break Free CLP in a spray can plus a $1.99 bag of cleaning patches and an old tooth brush beats a $49.99 plus post Otis Kit any day. It's nice buying gee wiz gear, but having blown so much on that sorta thing early on, I'm more about spending smarter on functional no-frills gear and using the savings to buy ammo and reloading supplies.

Just my 2 cents

Gregg

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Where are you buying your Bore Snakes as all the places around here are charging 19.99 and up for them, I need 3 calibers but the thought of spending $60.00 is a real turn off.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Funny enough, the same shop in downtown plymouth that is selling PS90 10 round mags for $60 is selling bore snakes for $7.99 and up, depending on caliber, At least thats what they were a few months ago when I bought my last one.

They pop up on gunbroker and ebay for not much more from time to time.
In fact, just looked on ebay a minute ago, there are several in a bunch of different calibers from $10.99 to $15.99, most with $1-$2 shipping. Just do a search for "bore snake".

Used to get .223 and 9mm bore snakes from the range instructors at work, until they both quit and got replaced.

Gregg

·
Registered
156 Posts
blkbd said:
Where are you buying your Bore Snakes as all the places around here are charging 19.99 and up for them, I need 3 calibers but the thought of spending $60.00 is a real turn off.
I paid $13 for mine at my local gun shop, that seems about average for the ones I've seen, $20 seems a little too much unless you are talking about the ones for shotguns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to the PS90 and purchased a Kleen Bore .22 bronze bore brush. I tried to run it through but it wouldn't fit through and I really had to pull hard to get it back out. I know that many people have already recommended the bore snake, but I've heard that they are mostly for a quick, not very thorough clean. Has anyone else had this problem with a .22 bore brush?

·
Premium Member
21,753 Posts
SoulReaver said:
I'm new to the PS90 and purchased a Kleen Bore .22 bronze bore brush. I tried to run it through but it wouldn't fit through and I really had to pull hard to get it back out. I know that many people have already recommended the bore snake, but I've heard that they are mostly for a quick, not very thorough clean. Has anyone else had this problem with a .22 bore brush?
It's supposed to be a tight fit to work. :D

A .22 brush will work.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The cheapest I've found 22 cal bore snakes are on ebay for $12.95 w/ free shipping (Item number: 350198479537). Has anyone been able to find them cheaper?

·
Premium Member
2,955 Posts
jpainter187 said:
The cheapest I've found 22 cal bore snakes are on ebay for $12.95 w/ free shipping (Item number: 350198479537). Has anyone been able to find them cheaper?
That's about as cheap as they come, they usually run $15 at Academy, closer to $20 at Gander Mtn.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have found that a snake will clean carbon and not much more. At some point you will need to get the copper out and Sweets 7.62 is a great choice. I used to just pull the snake through my .204 every 10 shots or so. It took close to 2 weeks to get the copper out cleaning every day once I saw the blue/green in the barrel. :?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts