FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since "take off" barrels are so inexpensive compared to factory P90 barrels it leads me to believe that there is a downfall to using one in an SBR registered conversion. If I have been reading correctly, the barrel is just long and ugly after removed but with a cut, crown and thread it is completely usable again. Is this the case? None of those mods are a problem here and actually if I can just cut and thread for 1/2x28 it would be even more useful anyway but I wanted to make sure there were no other "wrenches in the gears" before I throw good money away buying someone else's "take off."

Now, if I can use one, who has one for sale to a struggling writer. :)

Jeff Z
07/SOT

·
Administrator
11,378 Posts
I bought a take off barrel on Gunbroker for $72.00. It was cut at the blind pin so it was useless until I had it cut, crowned, and threaded for 1/2x28 tpi and it came with the threaded adaptor for $135.00. That totaled $207.00 plus shipping (around $12 bucks).

So you figure the cost of a barrel from CMMG + the adaptor is around $249.95 + $69.95 and S/H and you are over the $320.00 mark.

I looked at many places to find the best bang for the buck. Stay away from the retailers as their profit margin will eat you up.

If you are in no hurry, go my route. I you have to have it now, buy from CMMG or TROSUSA, but they will more than likely required an approved Form 1 before they sell you the barrel to cover their as%^$. So you won't get it now anyways. The Form 1 will take about two to four months depending on how you go, either individual or Corp/LLC/Trust....

BTW, you can have all the work done WHILE you are awaiting the Form 1 approval (which you have to have before you put the SBR together). Just DO NOT put the weapon together as you will be in violation of the law. Some people will tell you to wait for the approved Form 1, however, that is not necessary. A barrel is a barrel and is not subject to regulation. The receiver on the other hand is a different story.

The other option is to have your PS90 barrel cut and save the ~$72.00, but then you loose the PS90 Standard. Of course you can buy an aftermarket barrel but then you will have the original barrel and flash hider sitting around in your safe doing nothing or you may try to sell them to recoup some of your costs.

There are too many ways to do this. First you need to decide if you want just a SBR or whether you want a SBR and the PS90 standard. I went for both options so I also bought a new receiver to go with the cut barrel. Now I have both a SBR and PS90 Standard that I can swap the upper out at any given time thus giving me both versions of the rifle. The receiver was purchased through a vender here for $475.00 plus $19.00 S/H and the transfer fee of $30.00, because the receiver is considered the firearm (it has the serial number). It came with side rails too.

Finally add the $200.00 fed tax stamp for the Form 1 and you have a pretty good idea as to what it will cost you for the setup.

Don't forget the cost of the additional sight for the extra upper.

There is also the cost to have the receiver engraved ~$30 to $50 total.

For me I wanted both so I had to put out the extra $524.00 for the receiver + $50.00 for engraving (had it blacked out so that is why the extra cost - the basic is $35.00 plus S/H)

So now that I have confused you about all this, you need to answer the following questions before you begin:

1 - Do you want a SBR only or a SBR upper to swap out.
2 - Do you want to spend alot of money for parts or do you want to just get a SBR (pre made) and have both a PS90 and SBR (you will need to buy a new SBR - pre made, at an outrageous price).
2a - Do you want to buy a PS90 and have the work done to make it a SBR (it will be cheaper to just buy a SBR)?
3 - Will you have problems with you local CLEO (Chief Law Enforcement Officer) signing off on the Form 1, thus requiring you to create an LLC/TRUST/Corp (additional monies here + the annual fees that each state requires to keep the LLC/Corp in operation - however a TRUST is not a costly)?
4 - How much will your State charge you for an LLC/Corp? In Florida its about $129.00 + $100.00 annualy, in places like Kalifornia (where no SBR is allowed) its about $1000.00 + $????? annually.
5 - Are you thinking about adding a silencer to your SBR later on (about another $700.00 total with tax stamp)? This will mean an additional adaptor later on or you need to decide now so that you can get the right adaptor the first time around.
6 - etc....

Lots of questions, very few answers.

If you want to discuss this over the phone, PM me your phone number and I will call you. There are just too many variable here.

I am VERY VERY happy that I went the route that I did but you can see the cost is very high. Of course, I am developing some load data and a load program for the FsN, PS90 SBR and PS90 so the cost was expected, as now I have all three firearms to test with.

So this is the final question - Is it worth another $600 to $1600 to you for a SBR or not?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for all the fantastic information! You are obviously very helpful to this community at FN Forum.

That being said, I am in a little different situation and it is really only the physical barrel information I was curious about. See, as an 07/SOT I don't need all the LE Sigs, Transfer Fees, etc. so I don't have all the typical concerns. A Title II manufacturer can just make NFA firearms at will and have them added to the registry. No wait, no sign-offs and no extra expense. :?

You did answer my question though and I appreciate it. Since the standard thread in the silencer industry is 1/2x28 I will not need any adapters after I recut, recrown and thread the barrel so it seems like a good way to go. I was just curious if there was any known issue with barrel integrity on those little, original barrels and it seems there is not.

Very much appreciated sir!

Jeff Z

·
Registered
225 Posts
CHECK IT OUT MAN!! I want to sbr my PS90, I need to use a trust. how do i make a trust. even people that have done it with a trust can not seem to answer my question. So, how do you do a trust?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CHECK IT OUT MAN!! I want to sbr my PS90, I need to use a trust. how do i make a trust. even people that have done it with a trust can not seem to answer my question. So, how do you do a trust?
A very recent issue of Small Arms Review went over the subject in great detail. Check their website. Go to the "Back Issue" page and look at some of the latest issues on Vol 11. If you click on the covers it will show you the table of contents.

It may have been in "The Legal Side" Column and may not be listed as such so I will check my issues out for you when I get a few minutes later today.

Jeff Z

1 - 6 of 6 Posts