FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm getting a new gun my girl wants one as well. If I purchase the gun using my credit card will she allowed to put the gun in her name. Someone from gunbroke told me that they would ship it in her name and she would have to fill out the paper work . I just don't want it in my name I mean what if we split up ?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
monkeyboogers said:
Someone from gunbroke told me....
I don't know, it may or may not work. Since I am not an attorney, I would suggest you either try it and hope the ATF don't come knocking at your door or just give the ATF a call tomarrow morning. Tell them what you want to do and ask them its its legal.
Its seems like a grey area to me.

Maybe an someone with an FFL here can chime in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Monkey! On july 14 you bought one for your wife. On july 15 your worried about putting one on your CC for your girl friend. I think you may have more problems than if the transaction is legal.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Ive done that with my girl but the address has to match for both people, or at least thats how it is in my state :?

·
Registered
83 Posts
tqtran said:
I believe that could be a STRAW PURCHASE if you are the buyer using your CC.
not if she is the one filling out the ATF form

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought a ruger for my brother when he graduated.

The important aspect isnt who pays the cash really, its who fills out the form and if they are filling the transfer out for their own purpose, or for someone else.

Can lead to inquiry I suppose, but as long as its on the up and up theres no reason you cant buy someone a gun if they fill out the atf form.

-E

·
Registered
356 Posts
It doesn't matter where the money comes from (i.e. who pays for it) as long as the person filling out the ATF form is eligible to own a firearm AND is the same one as who will take possession of the firearm. I've done this with my father as a birthday present.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It doesn't matter where the money comes from (i.e. who pays for it) as long as the person filling out the ATF form is eligible to own a firearm AND is the same one as who will take possession of the firearm. I've done this with my father as a birthday present.
Correct. I have done this for my Mom and sister. I bought it, but they had to fill out the paperwork and get the background check.

Monkeyboopers, I am confused why you said :
I just don't want it in my name I mean what if we split up ?
If it is a good possability that you and her may break up, then I would say that it's better to have it in your name, not hers. My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
azalps said:
On july 14 you bought one for your wife. On july 15 your worried about putting one on your CC for your girl friend. I think you may have more problems than if the transaction is legal.
:-D :x

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Monkeyboopers, I am confused why you said :
I just don't want it in my name I mean what if we split up ?
If it is a good possability that you and her may break up, then I would say that it's better to have it in your name, not hers. My 2 cents
my 2 cents would be, if you do split up...do you really want her to have that gun? especially if she is a good shot? :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She is my gf I just call her my wife sometimes and you never know someday we may split. Are any of you certain of your own relationship ?
It could happen.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
I have gotten a gun for my gf but it is in her name....but its a 22lr lol

·
Registered
475 Posts
I say you're ok, at least in my state you would be. Basically whats happening is you're buying a present for her. As long as a ps90 isn't a regulated firearm (like a handgun) in your state i would say no problem.

I've seen many times where a wife comes into a gun shop i'm in, looking to buy her husband something usually a shotgun of hunting rifle and then pays for it and tells the owner she'll bring her husband in to sign the paperwork.

i agree with devil doc: if you do split up, at least you would have a new ps90 that was leagally bought in your name. :-D

·
Registered
23 Posts
So maybe I'm a little bit off topic here, but for your standard rifle, does paperwork need to be filed out when it is transfered from one family member to another? (I.E. my dad giving me guns as gifts)
What about for a handgun? Does it make any difference?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
(I.E. my dad giving me guns as gifts
As a general rule, no, there is no problem with that it. However, some states and localities have passed BS laws that require you to register things like handguns and such, you also have the age issue. Also if you are a convicted Felon your dad can't buy you a gun.

Best advice is to check your local and state laws. State or local DA is a good source for advice if after you've read the laws you have questions or concerns. Don't ask cops for advice. My 2 cents.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Best of luck with the gun and lady!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts