FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally saved up enough to get a 17S, but the process of finding one and get it to me proves very difficult. I live in Colorado where mag limit is a weird 15 rounds.

Anyone who is selling a FDE 17S at a reasonable price will only ship to "Free States", even after i told them "Get rid of the mags and price stays the same".

Why do they have to do this? Should i just give up on a SCAR 17S?

·
Registered
252 Posts
It is truly a sad situation for you and your state, among many, but... Some Gun makers and a lot of dealers are not selling their products or wares in states that have put restrictions on second amendment rights. The premise is that if enough of the citizens get upset, they will make sure that their vote is cast for someone who better represents the voter's view. Why do you think Magpul left CO? Sad state of affairs isn't it?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I would move to get a FDE SCAR 17 as it should be. Not some bastardized nuetured rifle that use to be a SCAR.

Reactions: Bdcody01

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Can you get the 17s FDE and just run 10rd mags for now, but also have 20rd mag parts kits in separate pieces?
If you ever move, then build the kit.
The 17s FDE is ok, but the mags are the restriction issue, correct?

The 17s is one of the best things in any safe.
-stay w/ 17s if possible, 10rds mags are light, and the 17s platform is lightweight too.
10rd.jpg scar_17_15_round.jpg

SCAR 17 Magblock 15 Round

·
Registered
28 Posts
I searched for a while for the SCAR 17 in FDE, and finally settled for one in accurate black instead. Worst case, I can always have it cerakoted here locally. I plan to beat the hell out of the gun anyway, it's not going to win any beauty pageants once I get my hands on it (should be any day now to start the 10 day waiting period). Best of luck on your search, I wouldn't give up if I were you, just open up your references on color, it should increase your chances considerably. I would also reach out to some of the dealers here in CA, we've got way worse limitations than you do, so I'm sure they would ship one to your FFL.

Jerry

·
Registered
139 Posts
Cant you buy a Cali Legal 17? or find one from a guy selling it online and have it shipped to a FFL. I'd understand a gunstore/website giving you issues but I'd think a private sale wouldn't be that bad.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just went to my LGS to spend some of that saving for a stainless Sig 1911, and got a 22lr Sig 1911 FOR FREE. That still counts as one off my gun wishlist.

Meanwhile, I'll keep an eye out in our trading post to see if anyone is willing to sell use one without mags, For whatever reason all 8 sellers i asked on GB won't do it.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is my LGS don't sell SCARs, and all FDE 17S are on GB, which no one is willing to ship to Colorado without mags.

Can you get the 17s FDE and just run 10rd mags for now, but also have 20rd mag parts kits in separate pieces?
If you ever move, then build the kit.
The 17s FDE is ok, but the mags are the restriction issue, correct?

The 17s is one of the best things in any safe.
-stay w/ 17s if possible, 10rds mags are light, and the 17s platform is lightweight too.
View attachment 23397 View attachment 23398

SCAR 17 Magblock 15 Round

·
Registered
146 Posts
Watch Riflegear.com, they sell a California legal version (10 round). They are local to me but sell on the internet. There web site updates every 15 min real time, so if it shows in stock it usually is. Good luck, love my scar 17.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watch Riflegear.com, they sell a California legal version (10 round). They are local to me but sell on the internet. There web site updates every 15 min real time, so if it shows in stock it usually is. Good luck, love my scar 17.
Holly out of stock-ness, I just emailed them to see if they are willing to do one without the mag lock but with 10 rounders.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Holly out of stock-ness, I just emailed them to see if they are willing to do one without the mag lock but with 10 rounders.
Call Liberty Arms in Fort Collins, They have had both 16s and 17s in FDE within the last 30 days.

Also in Colorado the burden of proof is on the state, if your mags don't have a date code later than July 2013 it is impossible for them to prove that you didn't buy them in 2012 when you first planned to buy your SCAR, remember all of those SCAR mags you bought back then and tucked away for a happy day?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Call Liberty Arms in Fort Collins, They have had both 16s and 17s in FDE within the last 30 days.

Also in Colorado the burden of proof is on the state, if your mags don't have a date code later than July 2013 it is impossible for them to prove that you didn't buy them in 2012 when you first planned to buy your SCAR, remember all of those SCAR mags you bought back then and tucked away for a happy day?
FDEs are already on a pretty big waitlist there I believe.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
FDEs are already on a pretty big waitlist there I believe.
They offered me one 3 weeks ago right off the shelf when I went in to buy a Vortex Razor HD. No wait involved unless something has changed in the last 21 days.

As an aside is there a particular reason you want a bright yellowish-tan gun in a dark woodland environment?

If you go in and put money down for an FDE SCAR they will get you one, period.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They offered me one 3 weeks ago right off the shelf when I went in to buy a Vortex Razor HD. No wait involved unless something has changed in the last 21 days.

As an aside is there a particular reason you want a bright yellowish-tan gun in a dark woodland environment?

If you go in and put money down for an FDE SCAR they will get you one, period.
They posted a pic of the FDE on facebook, and it trigger a panic for FDEs.

I want a tan gun because it's a better base color for camo.

·
Premium Member
5,859 Posts
I want a tan gun because it's a better base color for camo.

If you want FDE it's your money and rifle but this started life as a Black SCAR. I wanted a FDE but I wanted a SCAR more so...............

DuraCoat

Cerakote mud brown now

·
Registered
80 Posts
I already have a black so I was trying to get another in FDE but if I don't find one soon close to black pricing I am buying another black and putting the difference in price in mags.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't want to paint over all the moving parts, but they are a pain in the back side to take off and put back properly.

If you want FDE it's your money and rifle but this started life as a Black SCAR. I wanted a FDE but I wanted a SCAR more so...............

DuraCoat

Cerakote mud brown now

1 - 20 of 23 Posts