FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Glock 43 owner here. Sad to read (especially here of all places) people badmouthing a new firearm they've never seen, held, or fired. The tired, sad-sap "I don't see any reason for this gun because XYZ." Seriously, get a life. Anyway, I also don't want to be the guy that just likes something because he owns it, so I'll be putting this gun through some personal review time.

Ive already seen the G43 compared with the G26 and S&W Shield, so my main point of contrast are J-Frames, since they're my daily carry right now. I will have some points of comparison with other guns, but just a few.

Of course compared to a J, the G43 holds 2 more rounds being 6+1, and keeping a fast reload handy is easier.

(Off topic) Anyone else find it annoying a revolver is just called say a 5-shot and an auto has to designate X+1. It's not 6+1, it's a 7 round gun. Anyone ever removed a round from a revolver so they can carry "safely" (in fear) and call a J-Frame 4+1? No way. Anyhow, I know the reasoning for the +1, I just find it annoying.

i took some comparison photos of the G43 next to my 640-1 Pro J-Frame so you can get a sense of the G43 size. The G43 is slimmer of course because of the J-Frame's cylinder, but it's also shorter in length and height. The only measurement where the J beats the G43 is at the top rear where the J slopes nicely.

As for conceal carry, the both are well carried at the waist (appendix and 4 o'clock), but the G43 feels much less bulky. With the J, I always am aware of the cylinder width, but the G43 feels "less there". I've also owned a Shield and two XDs (9 and 45s respectively), and while I can't compare directly (sold them), the G43 somehow feels smaller than the Shield (may not be true physically, but I can still claim it "feels" that way.), and it's for sure much smaller and mainly less weight than the XDs in 45 (45 rounds are just so dang heavy, or combine their added weight with the barrel needed to shoot 45 and it's a big difference). For pocket carry, I think my J still conceals better in cargo shorts. The G43 fits easily in my cargo shorts pocket, however the draw is not as smooth VS the hammerless J. For this reason, the G43 will probably stay IWB instead of the pocket. Where the G43 does outshine the J is in jeans pockets (IF they're deep enough). In jeans pockets the J bulges too much.

For fit and feel, I give the G43 equal marks with a basic J like the 442, but my 640-1 Pro and 340 PD have a higher quality feel/fit/finish. The Glock is of course a Glock, so the simplicity of the design, although not as simple as a J, is still to be admired. I'd also give the Shield and XDs higher marks on fit/feel, particularly the Shield. The XDs beats them all with presentation in the box and provided goodies.

Next up will be seeing how it shoots, so I'll report back after a range trip.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,866 Posts
Thanks for the rundown.

I'm looking forward to hearing how it runs. I have a long list I'm gnawing through, but I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one of these. I do have a Shield, which I really like...but we've been looking for something for the wife. Maybe this will fit the bill.

Reactions: oldguysshoot

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shot 200 flawless rounds of PMC through the Glock 43 this evening. Frankly I was stunned at how easy it was to shoot. Love the trigger - long easy pull and crisp break - very easy to pause and find that sweet spot before the break. The gun fit my hand better than any subcompact firearm I've owned, including the PM40, Shield 9, and XDs 45. Felt recoil to me was less than the Shield. The only thing I can compare it to would be a full size 9 (which is really saying something) like my S&W M&P Pro 9 4.25". Yes, that's how light the recoil felt. Of course I'd fired about 25 rounds of 357 and 50 rounds of 38 through the J-frame just prior, so perhaps there was some bias there.

Compared to my S&W 640-1 Pro (stainless, heavy J-frame), the G43 is hands down the better choice for me. The G43 will be replacing my Js just as soon as I can get a good IWB holster.

In the photo: right side is the first hundred rounds at 7 yards, medium rate of fire. First mag was all in the red. Left side was second 100 rounds at 3 yards with double taps and rapid fire and about a third were just shooting without the sights like you would do at point blank range. Obviously a lot of rounds went through existing holes :)

Overall I give the G43 the highest marks possible. Glock really did their homework with this one.

Attachments

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1 - 6 of 6 Posts