FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good news: Texas open carry bills pass both House and Senate
The new Texas Governor is pro 2A and has been waiting to sign this bill a long time ago

Bad news: You must be a CHL holder to open carry pistols
The Dutto amendment was removed and LE can stop and ask open carriers for id, etc, at whim. The Dutton Amendment would have stopped this.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/05/29/open-carry-bill-heads-gov-greg-abbott/

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
That seems to be about the same in many states, in mine u can now carry any gun in car without permit, but OC or CC needs permit, but in Tn we don't need to inform cop if carrying when pulled over unless asked!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would a CHL holder open carry? Still can't carry at work either, even though legislators can carry in the capital. What about college campuses? Did that pass?
I agree. They need to change the name of the CHL into simply Pistol Carry License since it allows you to choose CC or open carry.
Rifles and shotguns (long guns) are still legal to open carry (constitutional carry) in Texas without any license at all.

I will have to check on the bills to see if the campus carry was retained.
The bills went into committee and almost died there. Sunday (31MAY15) was the end of regular session.
Even though the Dutton Amenedment didn't make it, I'm glad pistol open carry still passed.

Now the fight to work in the Dutton Amendment into new bills for the next Texas Legislative Session.
Too bad this will not happen again until two years from now.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doing more search, I found out that campus carry also passed just today in the Texas houses.
But it's watered down.

Debating took place and the resulting bill to finally emerge puts the following limitations:
only 21 and older can CC in campuses.
College presidents can declare no carry zones on campus.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7477274

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The new Texas Governor is pro 2A and has been waiting to sign this bill a long time ago

The Dutto amendment was removed and LE can stop and ask open carriers for id, etc, at whim. The Dutton Amendment would have stopped this.

Open Carry with a license, eh?

Oh well, maybe Texas lawmakers will finally read the constitution some day, lol

Meanwhile New Hampshire has had unrestricted Open Carry since 1776 and has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.

·
Registered
8,468 Posts
Doing more search, I found out that campus carry also passed just today in the Texas houses.
But it's watered down.

Debating took place and the resulting bill to finally emerge puts the following limitations:
only 21 and older can CC in campuses.
College presidents can declare no carry zones on campus.

Texas Senate Clears Concealed Carry Of Guns On Campus
I may be wrong but don't you have to be 21 to own a handgun to begin with? And yeah, no carry zones for everyone but criminals, that sure makes sense.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Just be glad your state is making progress. Some states still don't have open carry.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The psychos will be sure to observe those no carry zones, like they do the hospital.
Exactly. Carry prohibition/limitation laws do not stop criminals. These laws only punish the law abiding and make it easy for the criminal to go to such areas and kill without fear of being killed first by a law abiding citizen there to save lives.

Texas is making strides to advance 2A, I too hope carry prohibition/limitation laws eventually become abolished.
But it's one step at a time until the Constitution is finally obeyed 100%; we just need to keep moving forward until all unconstitutional laws are abolished/repealed.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Exactly. Carry prohibition/limitation laws do not stop criminals. These laws only punish the law abiding and make it easy for the criminal to go to such areas and kill without fear of being killed first by a law abiding citizen there to save lives.

Texas is making strides to advance 2A, I too hope carry prohibition/limitation laws eventually become abolished.
But it's one step at a time until the Constitution is finally obeyed 100%; we just need to keep moving forward until all unconstitutional laws are abolished/repealed.
You're right on target Savagejim. The left has always continuously fought and been proactive in chipping away at our second amendment rights (along with many others). The only way to fight back is to CONSTANTLY, CONSTANTLY be proactive and introduce legislation that restores ONE HUNDRED percent of our second amendment rights, along with all the others. And it seems to me, out of sheer repuFNtation alone, TEXAS should be leading the way. And while we are on the topic of TEXAS...I'm heading down to the Dallas area in a few days for a family visit and to check out some land for sale. Now is it just me, or does everyone wanna' do the Tarzan scream (OWAHOWAHOWAHOWAH) when they step off the plane and their feet hit TEXAS soil ? Thaaaaaaat's right I said it !!! Tarzan was from TEXAS !!! lol

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
I was glad in my state when it became legal to carry with permit in all City/County Parks, ballfields, greenways and playgrounds etc! However sadly there are many issues since parts of these places in which 1 can now legally carry are leased out for weekly/ monthly or yearly events etc, and the people who lease these places do still ban guns in/during the festivals.

1 of our Legislatures who was against allowing guns in parks even says that this is illegal similar probs in some Zoo's which are in parks still ban guns illegally!
What can the avg Joe do? Not 1 Damn thing unless he has tons of $$$$!

Would love to challenge these illegal bans, but too scared of arrest and going bankrupt fighting these illegal practices!

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I just recently took the renewal class for my CCW. The Instructor of the class, which really didn't impress me a whole lot, said he carries inside places that aren't Government buildings even if there is a sign on the door saying no guns. Said all they will do is ask you to leave, or worst case scenario you get a trespass citation which is only a misdemeanor. Said, as I already knew, it's just a policy violation basically, not a law. And he is right. This Instructor did and said numerous improper things in class. To state them would derail this thread. Although he is right, it's an individual decision on whether you want to carry in situations like that.

·
Registered
22,118 Posts
Open Carry with a license, eh?

Oh well, maybe Texas lawmakers will finally read the constitution some day, lol

Meanwhile New Hampshire has had unrestricted Open Carry since 1776 and has one of the lowest crime rates in the nation.

I have never seen anyone open carry in NH.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I have never seen anyone open carry in NH.
Because there isn't a reason to outside of hunting or fishing.

I'm sure if the streets of Amherst or Barrington were littered with hoodlums and assorted scumbags they would strap on their Ruger MkIIs and H&R Sportman revolvers and "regulate", lol

I can see it now, guys in mackinaws and duck boots strapped with their 22s and Woodman's Pals hanging from carpenter's tool belts.

·
Registered
961 Posts
It specifically calls out hip and the shoulder rig. Does that mean you are not allowed to wear a thigh rig?

Reactions: SAVAGEJIM

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Will out of state CCL be honored as well? Or do they need to be TX CCLs.
Yes, at least what I read from a news website (I cannot remember which).
Texas will honor CCL/CHL from other states Texas has a reciprocity with.
I don't know what those other states are.

Bad news:
If a state has Constitutional carry, i.e. never issues CCL/CHL, those guys cannot open carry in Texas.
The reason is a CHL must be on the person to be allowed to open carry a pistol n Texas.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It specifically calls out hip and the shoulder rig. Does that mean you are not allowed to wear a thigh rig?
I am not sure what is defined as on the hip, but for now, I think (I stress that I only think but don't know for sure) that if a thigh rig is somehow supported by a belt worn on the hip, that would be a hip worn carry.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.