FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I shot a friend’s Five-seveN about 10 years ago and really liked it. My wife shot it as well and also enjoyed it. I saw one marked down at Cabella’s to $999.99. I also saw some 190 (I think) ammo at my LGS going for $27 a box. Oddly, they had .357Sig going for $40 a box...

Im curious if that seems like a good deal to enter in at.

Also, I’d like to know what utility people see in it. I know it’s fun to shoot, but that seems like some expensive fun. I have a Taurus TX22 that is also fun and waaaaay more cost effective. I use .357Sig guns for SD, .45ACP (FNX45) for the house, and I like having my FNX40 for outdoor adventures. Aside from my Sig P365XL, the only other thing I use 9mm for is target practice.

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Price on the gun is not bad but not an immediate "Buy it now" price. Price on the ammo is good for SS197, SS195 and AE FMJ in todays climate but if it really is SS190 then it's a "BUY IT ALL NOW!!!!!" kind of deal. If it's not going to be in your defensive pistol rotation then it's not worth buying as a fun toy as ammo make it prohibitive to shoot a lot...unless you reload it. As a carry gun goes......it's lighter, less recoil, shoots flat for a handgun, has 20+1 capacity and is easy to dump into a target if you need to. Wounding characteristics are nasty when using the appropriate ammo but that ammo cost and is tougher to get now. Overall I consider them a great option, carry one of mine openly/under a shirt 85% of the time and when I really need to carry concealed I go to my P365XL.

·
Vendor
3,282 Posts
To buy it NIB.... I think that's a good deal from Cabela's ....to enter at. I don't think we will ever see lower prices at LGS again. ( JIMO )
I purchased my MK2 for hundred's more a few years back after their release. I feel the price on these will will always remain high .... just as it has .
You may be able to pick up a used one for 10% less but if you have been wanting one to add to your collection ??? I would jump on that price especially for NIB.

JIMO

·
Registered
2 Posts
$999 for a NIB Five-Seven - Grab it! Like others have stated, I paid a couple of hundred more several years back. What may have caused the price drop is the release of Ruger's five seven for a cheaper price!! I like Ruger, but I'd take an FNH over Ruger any day. With self defense ammo, it's an excellent EDC.

·
Registered
27 Posts
$1099 is still less than I think I paid for mine 12 years ago. I don't remember the exact price, but it was somewhere around this point, but I believe just a bit more.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I paid $1280 or so for an FDE last year

1 - 7 of 7 Posts