FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have settled on either the Kahles K16i or the Swarovski Z6i 1-6x for my 17s. I think the K16i's reticles seem better, and I prefer the more manual brightness controls. That said the Z6i 1-6 would be fine, and it's a bit "sleeker" looking as well as marginally lighter. Basically it would come down to price. For basically the same price, I'd go with the K16i. I'd have no qualms about a Z6i if it were a few hundred less. However, I've seen the K16i in the $22-2300 range, and the Z6i seems to be $1-200 more? Am I missing the best places for buying these? Or are the prices I'm seeing pretty good (barring any crazy one-time sales).

I also plan to get Seekins scope rings. I don't care about a QD feature, but do care that they are light in weight. Am I missing some other lightweight option? The Aero Precision also looks good, but the cantilever it has is unnecessary. I'd consider it though, but separate rings just seems simpler and possibly lighter.

Anyway, feedback is welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
EuroOptic is a great source.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for anyone else looking/closure/whatever, OpticsPlanet with coupon "AR15COM" has the K16i for $2,138. That said, I got it from EuroOptics before realizing this. They shipped it super fast, almost Amazon-prime like. Though they are only a state away.

Also, I didn't think to weigh the rings themselves, or the scope and rings ahead of time... But the whole rifle seems to have gained 1 pound, 9 ounces. If the scope is actually 17 oz, that means the rings were like 8 oz. They are pretty substantial, though, but I guess I thought aluminum rings would be lighter. I'll toss the ring wrench in the buttstock in case a zombie bites the scope post-apocalypse and I have to remove it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Just for anyone else looking/closure/whatever, OpticsPlanet with coupon "AR15COM" has the K16i for $2,138. That said, I got it from EuroOptics before realizing this. They shipped it super fast, almost Amazon-prime like. Though they are only a state away.

Also, I didn't think to weigh the rings themselves, or the scope and rings ahead of time... But the whole rifle seems to have gained 1 pound, 9 ounces. If the scope is actually 17 oz, that means the rings were like 8 oz. They are pretty substantial, though, but I guess I thought aluminum rings would be lighter. I'll toss the ring wrench in the buttstock in case a zombie bites the scope post-apocalypse and I have to remove it.
I believe that is the price Euooptic quoted me for their best price (you need to actually ask them for their best price) but I paid $1,950 for mine like new -Demo and it was damn sure like new, only the box was unsealed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! They had a demo version for sale when I was looking. I guess it's sort of like the SCAR itself, for me it's way more money than I can rationalize spending. It's just a fun/enjoyment purchase. So at that general price point, I'd rather get one that I knew I'd be happy with, vs taking a bit of a gamble on a demo one that's still, relatively speaking, expensive. But good to hear yours ended up being mint.

·
Registered
418 Posts

I'm currently running the K16i with SM1 reticle in a 30mm Bobro QD Mount. Very light, durable, and compact set up. The Kahles is a phenomenal optic and the only bad thing I can say about the SM1 reticle is its not numbered so you have to take a bit of extra time to count hash marks but it does give you an excellent range of ballistic hold over solutions. I have no problem ringing 10" steel plates using M80 ball out to 500-600 yards. I think you could easily push a bit further out I just havent had the time as of late.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daddy likes! Thanks for posting. What rings did you use?
They are Seekins AR-height rings. I thought they'd be like super light, but in reality are about the same weight as any other aluminum mounts. I also thought by crunching the numbers that they'd put the optic just over the rear iron sight, but it is just slightly too low. It has good eye relief so I probably wouldn't move it back much further anyway, but that's not the same as not being able to. It does have about the same centerline as the irons, though, so my cheek weld is the same. If the included wrench fits in the small buttstock storage area, I guess that would be my solution for the scope breaking in some zombie apocalypse...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I picked up a Kahles LIGHTLY USED (it looked perfect) for $1470 on ar15.com

I traded it and ended up with a Larue PredatOBR that is like new that I only have $1170 in.

Now that I have a scar 17, I want another Kahles k16i. That is one hell of a scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts