FN Herstal Firearms banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since most of my pistols are pretty expensive - I bought one that I need not worry too much about. Ruger P95. Hopefully I'll get to try it out in a few days.

There was one in the shop last week, but it was scratched up a bit (it was new). It sold yesterday - but the DA trigger on it was pretty nice.

They got a new one today - the DA pull is pretty heavy. But on the range - I'm only gonna shoot it SA probably.

Anyway - just a fairly cheap beater gun. I only expect reasonable accuracy out of it.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Good luck with the accuracy! Everyone I tried or had would pattern but wouldn't group much like the P.O.S. S&W M&P I offed for a Sig for the same reason.

Good f' n around gun though!

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tqtran said:
Nice looking two tone beater gun.
My beater gun is a Glock :D
Thanks...

I thought about a Glock, but I hate Glock triggers. And, I wanted to stay around $300. If I bumped to $400, I may have gotten an M&P, although I don't like them too much.

I HATE Taurus, otherwise I might have gotten one of those 24/7s. And, a Sigma is out of the question - I wouldn't want one if ya gave it to me.

I could have saved $25 for the black slide on the Ruger, but I have a thing for 2 tone polymer pistols. That is why I've done hard chrome so many times.

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Congrats on the new gun. I hope the trigger loosens up for ya.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
devildoc said:
Beater gun is right. Hope ya got a good price for it. Good luck.
Its actually not bad. I've shot a Ruger P85 and P89 before - they aren't bad guns. And, they actually work.

Besides, I am a bit of a brand snob when it comes to handguns. I'll admit that. But for its purpose, it will still work 100%. I wouldn't buy it is my sole handgun - just because I am a brand snob :lol:

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I got to shoot 205 rounds thru it today.

The mags were a bear to load for the first 1 or 2 times. They are 15 round mags, but 1 would only load 11 the first time. They both take 15 now.

The gun is very accurate. No jams. Decent gun or $300.

2 negatives. One - you can actually feel the slide spring. Hard to explain - but the action of the slide can be felt by your hand.

Two - the trigger isn't the best. It's better at the end of 205 rounds than when I first started - I think. Maybe I just got used to it. Where you expect it to break - there is a little more friction w/ some creep, and then it breaks.

I'd be disappointed if this was my ONLY gun. But, I have numerous guns - all that I love. This gun is what it is - an extra gun that will be a beater gun I need not worry about scratching, etc.

For $300 - it was worth it. Does it compare to my other guns that I spent more money on? Umm... Not really.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
you can actually feel the slide spring. Hard to explain - but the action of the slide can be felt by your hand.

Thats what I said. It almost feels like the slide is in slow motion. It goes-Bang chaaaaaaa-chiiiiiiiig. I also thought that the upper reciever (slide) was to wide and the trigger had a creapy feel. However they didn't FTF.
For $300 you'll probably get your money's worth out of it. I have a beater glock 17 I picked up for $250. It's around 20 years old and looks like its seen better days.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea - it is pretty much how U described it. But, oh well. At least it isn't a Sigma.

I only paid $399 for my 40 cal PX4, and I considered buying another in 9mm as a beater gun. However - I think that rotating barrel block needs pretty good lubrication. And, if I leave the gun in the car for a while in the summer heat, I don't want to have to worry about that.

On another front - someone there let me shoot his 9mm S&W third generation semi auto. Very low recoil. Just found it shot a bit low. Also, I put a few rounds thru his S&W 10mm. pretty nice, but 10mm isn't my thing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Why not one of those P6s selling for $250-275? SIG quality on the cheap....German police trade-ins selling all over right now.

Thought it such a good buy I bought two!

I call them my Jason Bourne guns....everyone needs an extra good hand gun to put in the safety deposit box with passports, cash, copies of all stocks/IRAs and such and a gun with two extra mags....not that I have done such a thing...

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
2 reasons. I don't buy used guns. And, I do not like buying a gun w/o seeing it.

I have a hard enough time buying new guns at the store that do not already have scratches. EVen a new gun bought sight unseen is not what I like to do - let alone buying a used one. Not my thing.

Yea - it will be a beater gun - so in my mind, I have to get over babying it like I do my other guns. But, when I walk out with it the 1st time - I like to have a new gun. Just my own little hangup.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I misunderstood your definition of a beater gun. My bad.

I see a beater gun as one with minimal finish, MANY rounds down range and more looking like it was a battlefield pick-up. Reliable and rugged, but worn. If I drop it on concrete as long as the grips don't crack, I can pound the sights back into shape.....for me it's a tool. Scrapes show use and often a good story.

I got a couple friends like you. It's cool. Their guns always look beautiful.

Cheers,

PS. Both of those SIGS shoot like the devil...if they hadn't I would have returned to wholesaler for refund...as I've done before with guns I wasn't satisfied with....

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, that is sorta what this is. If I decide to leave the gun in the car for some reason - I don't wanna have to worry about a $800+ HK in the car.

And, it will be a beater gun. But, I still want it to start new.

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I took the slide off and looked at the frame. The trigger/trigger bar moved, and then in the hammer section - it makes contact with another part. When the trigger continues, this part moved, and then the hammer drops.

So, there is no way to eliminate that 2nd area of friction as the trigger is pulled - as it is just the way the firing mechanism is designed.

If the trigger was better - this would be a pretty awesome gun - as the accuracy is excellent. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
To me, a beater gun is one I let friends and other people shoot at the range :-D

On a side note, I am thinking of getting a Ruger P95 now aswell. I've somehow caught a Ruger bug....

·
Registered
15,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I no longer have mine, as I needed to sell it to pay off a another gun purchase I made earlier this year (I think it was my MC Operator, but I can't remember).

It was a decent gun, and it was accurate. The only strange thing about it was that you could feel the recoil spring as the slide moved during firing.

And, 1 other thing - buy Mecgar mags instead of factory mags. They work better. I've read that the factory mags are not thick enough, and the metal can bend slightly. I noticed that I had to use the enclosed mag loader on the factory mags - If I didn't load them that way, and did them by hand instead, the rounds didn't always seat properly in the mag. This was strange to me.

Get the Mecgars - they work like any other pistol mags.

·
Registered
735 Posts
My friend bought a P95 just a few weeks ago. I liked it alright, but I only put five through it after he was complaining that the sights were off. My five shots were a 2" group dead center at seven yards... yeah, it's the sights. :roll:

Anyway, I thought about getting one, but for just a little more I can get an FNP-9, so that's what I'm probably going to do if I decide to get a 9mm. I know it's a proven design, but I still don't like that there are no steel guide rails in the frame.

On a side note, we hand loaded the mags and didn't have any problems. I'll pass the word along to him about the aftermarket ones.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts