FN Herstal Firearms banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new Elcan in today. Purchased from Ken over at KERIF, he's a great guy.

However, upon inspection....it appears that it has been used or have been mounted on a rail substantially. You can clearly see where it's been rubbed away on the coating.

Is this normal to Elcan's?

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine did not look like that when i got it. For the price you paid, I'd at least send him an email with these pics. I've never dealt with Ken but he does have a great reputation.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
I've heard the rumor before "that some are tested out and then sold as new" but Ken has always denied that claim. Other than the rail markings are there any other indications of use?

·
Registered
506 Posts

Mine was absolutely used when I got it - then I repainted it, and used it a lot more. That's oven-cured Ceracote, btw.

Zero hiccups or issues in the year I've had it, and despite what others tend to say about the ARMS mounts, mine have always held it very firmly on the rail. I suspect yours may have been mounted once or twice before you got it, but knowing Ken and the operation he runs, I seriously doubt he sold you a used optic at the price of a (discounted) new one. Either way, you got probably the best deal short of buying one second hand, like I did.

He's a great guy though and will take care of you if you really feel you need to bring it up with him.

Reactions: Kev

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
My 2 1.5x6's didn't have any rail marks or signs of visible wear; knowing Ken I bet if you wanted to exchange for another unit he would let you with no problem. I will say both of mine have some scuff marks from being in and out of the safe now but that's what they are for-too beat up!

BBG-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received a response from Ken today:

Mr. Mullins,

Glad to hear the sight arrived so quickly and you are happy with the service.
Yes, these ELCAN’s are new. Please understand that all of these sights have been mounted and tested at the factory prior to release so you would see some wear on the mounts. We even have a message on our website from the factory stating this.
ELCAN, SpecterDR, DFOV14-C1, DFOV14-T1, DFOV14-C2, DFOV14-T2, Dual, Field of View, 1X -4X, CQB Sight, 5.56, CX5395, 7.62, CX5396 Ballistic Reticle
“ELCAN does not make a scope with a collector in mind. Every single scope that we sell goes through a battery of MIL performance tests and unfortunately sometimes this causes some dings that are touched up as best they can be prior to final acceptance. In addition, the materials that are used are not all uniform as they are selected based on material requirements and then need to be Class III hard anodized which is not the good looking anodize, but the hard surface that is nearly impossible to color match. We can only please those that need superior optical performance that meets MILSPEC environmental requirements."

This latest production run reduced these flaws significantly because there were a host of color differences and “touch ups” throughout the scope on their first attempt. This is why they previously only offered the commercial line in Black.
With that said, we certainly don’t want you to feel like you are stuck with something you don’t want so if you’d like to return it, we will gladly take it back, no questions asked.
Standing by. Please feel free to give me a call if you’d like to discuss this over the phone. Thanks

Ken Frank
KERIF Night Vision
(702) 324-6463
[HR][/HR]​
Sent: Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:40 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Received the Elcan today

Mr. Ken,

It was a pleasure doing business with you. I received the Elcan SpecterDR in record time. Very impressed with the shipping speed and service you provided.

I had one quick question though. Upon inspection, it appeared that the Elcan has been used, or at least mounted for sometime on a rifle. Was this a used item?

Here are some photos:

·
Registered
506 Posts
I received a response from Ken today:

Mr. Mullins,

Glad to hear the sight arrived so quickly and you are happy with the service.
Yes, these ELCAN’s are new. Please understand that all of these sights have been mounted and tested at the factory prior to release so you would see some wear on the mounts. We even have a message on our website from the factory stating this.
ELCAN, SpecterDR, DFOV14-C1, DFOV14-T1, DFOV14-C2, DFOV14-T2, Dual, Field of View, 1X -4X, CQB Sight, 5.56, CX5395, 7.62, CX5396 Ballistic Reticle
“ELCAN does not make a scope with a collector in mind. Every single scope that we sell goes through a battery of MIL performance tests and unfortunately sometimes this causes some dings that are touched up as best they can be prior to final acceptance. In addition, the materials that are used are not all uniform as they are selected based on material requirements and then need to be Class III hard anodized which is not the good looking anodize, but the hard surface that is nearly impossible to color match. We can only please those that need superior optical performance that meets MILSPEC environmental requirements."

This latest production run reduced these flaws significantly because there were a host of color differences and “touch ups” throughout the scope on their first attempt. This is why they previously only offered the commercial line in Black.
With that said, we certainly don’t want you to feel like you are stuck with something you don’t want so if you’d like to return it, we will gladly take it back, no questions asked.
Standing by. Please feel free to give me a call if you’d like to discuss this over the phone. Thanks

Ken Frank
KERIF Night Vision
(702) 324-6463
And that is why this guy is a Tier 1 proprietor.

·
Registered
22,109 Posts
Nice customer service there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I found Ken to be exceptional to work with. I've spent a lot of money with him and he has always given me A+ service. I have a few Elcans that I got from ken, and some small blemishes are normal. You'll be very happy with your Spector!

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I agree with the concept that Elcans are tested at the factory. Some more than others. As a result, there may be some scuffs and or scrapes on a new Elcan SpecterDR. Mine has never let me down in the 4+ years I have used it on my SCAR 16.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts